Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem that people are having is what exactly qualifies a respected member?
- is it total posts on wj?
- is it helpful posts on wj?
- how do you determine help?
- is it running a big site?
- or do you have to have a big alexa rank?
- or should the member be selected by staff?
- maybe the community?
- age in the scene?

Here is the thing, you can NOT go by post count as we have enough mindless posting. Running a big site does NOT mean you are a respected user, look at ultima. And add to the fact that alexa can be cheated so it would never work. The rank it self as implied should be based on respect. How do you get respect? Help people and basically don't be an asshole. See when Mr Happy shout, or make a post lots of people read it, I being the first (:P) why? He has earned a certain level of respect making it worth while to go out of my way to read it, knowing it will be at a higher level of thinking. I think that is what makes the difference. I will be very blunt, as Splitice pointed out you age in the scene which you can NOT base it on. I have been here 10 years and it changed a lot but age does not mean respect. Phamous being the example he pointed out might of been helpful once but he has become a troll. Swearing, using all caps in the chatbox and saying he will never lose the title or be ban, that he is "invincible". This shows a sign of immaturity, far from respect. You also have to consider the kind of help that is being provided. If you are giving out something which is easily got it is not respect, although still helpful. Yes I am referring to web hosting. Something like it given out from would never be acceptable to earn the rank in my opinion. Anyone and everyone can start doing it and we will be back to square one. Leave the respected groups (coders and users) like the coders group. A staff member nominates a member and they discuss it. They same way you earned the rank you can lose it if you cause bs. The coders in the group no one has any issues with and its all staff approved. The ones who are RESPECTED will get the title back, and ones who are not, well I DeLeTeD, am sorry you lost the nice title and the extra 100 pm space.

edit - life you may be right, and it is funny the ones left with the rank said yesterday in the chatbox to remove it from them to show to others is does not matter. That is because they have that level of respect to fill the rank. It means a lot more now with the 10 (?) of us. Look when I asked to be a member, everyone still knew me and talked to me. I was still "Respected" or at least I think so :P

I say, do away with the entire rank. Maintain just two classes of ranks - Members and Staff.

Anything more than that in a community like WJ and you'll have drama at an ongoing basis. You also need to realize that being host to a diverse group of members, not everyone's mentality here is the same. Some feel offended by stuff that should not matter, others don't. What does that do? Breed more drama and possibly enmity. Trust me, you don't want that.

I completely agree with you. Just keep it with normal members and staff. If people are helping one others just to get into the "Respected Group" is more like looking for attention and finding something to brag about. If their not interested in helping sincerely, don't do it in the first place.

Furthermore, if any deals with this "respected members" goes wrong, people will put the blame on wj as they trust your better judgment giving them those ranks. In the end, wj will be badmouthed.

Just my 2cents.

i wish i "had" poop so i can bitch about how hard a rank it is to achive and all the "benifits"
*cough cough 200pm space
was SOOOOoooooooooooooooooooOoooooooooo
nice (y)

xD

i have no weed right now so im a little ticked off by this and yea i said if WJ wants to be a shit hole let it but im pissed

fist i was robed of S moderator for 1 day banning Jason and and shout box banning HX and CM ...

I didn't read the rest as it's gonna be BS. You were not robbed of anything you deserved. Fool.

This should've happened a long time ago. It's a wise move and here's to hoping Katz'll do it soon to their 3,4,5*.

I say, do away with the entire rank. Maintain just two classes of ranks - Members and Staff.

Anything more than that in a community like WJ and you'll have drama at an ongoing basis. You also need to realize that being host to a diverse group of members, not everyone's mentality here is the same. Some feel offended by stuff that should not matter, others don't. What does that do? Breed more drama and possibly enmity. Trust me, you don't want that.

As for the issue of trust and respect, well respect is something that isn't influenced by a color change. You need people to respect you based on how you behave with them, not based on what color your username is or what user title you have. A new unknown member could get the poop color username, but being new and having that poop color does not make him respected - not in my eyes, at least. I'd need him to do a lot more to prove to the community he's actually worth being respected.

Trust? Implement a rating system. If you can't do that, let each be to his own. Risks exist - respected or not. We've seen issues come up with even respected members, hell, an ex-staff scammed WJ in the past. Another staff member fucked up a lot of innocent members because he wasn't experienced enough to run a web host. How, in the name of hell, does a different username color affect the level of trust you place on a person, is beyond me. At the end of the day, you still don't know that person on the other end. You still have to be cautious with him, ask for proof of everything when dealing, etc etc. Just because he's respected does not mean you should blindly trust him and hand him over all your money or whatever it is that you're dealing with.

Just my 2 cents, really. The more 'discrimination (of sorts)' you implement in a community like WJ, the more shit you'll have to deal with in the long run.

I totally agree with you.ELJ please remove all these groups (they sound like discrimination), else, we'll lose more respected members like Whoo etc (or they'll become inactive).We already lost members like Hyperz , jayfella etc for some similar reasons.
These groups are more abused, then properly used. e.g. Hey i am a respected member you must pay me first for my services, or like i am a respected coder you must pay me $100 for this service,when others are offering the same for $50 etc etc

Lads its just another color for your name,at the end of the day its not really important and it doesnt really make you cool.So i cant see why people are getting upset over it.

I agree With the suggestion of their should only be 2 groups. Staff and Member. No other ranks.

Do you guys understand the Respected rank means nothing when you really aren't respected by other members? It's just a color?

In my opinion, Isn't it even better when People respect you even without having the Rank.

Should only be Members and Staff.

There can be no respect on the internet, all ppl can change for the worse at any time.

This shows by all the scams claims on here.

Even "Staff" use their rank to do what they want and get away with it for quite some time before getting demoted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back