Invision Power Board Or vBulletin? For WJunction.

IPB or vB?

• vBulletin

Votes: 95 46.8%
  • Invision Power Board

Votes: 81 39.9%
  • I don't care

Votes: 27 13.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
vbulletin, It is light, neat, secure, and everybody are used to it. I dont think there should be any reason to consider IPB over vbulletin, Is there?

vbulletin, It is light, neat, secure, and everybody are used to it. I dont think there should be any reason to consider IPB over vbulletin, Is there?
Proves my point of people being afraid of change.

Get with the times man, you're stuck in the past!

Everyone saying "if it's not broke don't fix it" I agree with you to an extent, that's why we're in no rush. We're not setting out to change things drastically, just stay with the standards. The smoother a conversion the better, if we were to go that path.

Everyone saying "if it's not broke don't fix it" I agree with you to an extent, that's why we're in no rush. We're not setting out to change things drastically, just stay with the standards. The smoother a conversion the better, if we were to go that path.

I get the feeling that no matter what the poll says, you're gonna switch over anyways :|

@eLight

Well, judging by your avatar, you like things super simple? With that being said, I have a feeling the skin for IPB will look nice, but what benefits can you name, having IPB over vBulletin?

Simply 'wanting change' counts, if thats one of your reasons.

It's important to remember that I am still on the fence. I am all for testing things out though and I don't consider it a time waste if I am even to design a theme for WJ that "could" be used just to see member reactions. If I were to convert, these are what I would see as the main advantages:

• Up to date code base in terms of PHP and HTML/CSS. I see there are some minor niggles with PHP 5.3.x and vBulletin 3.8.x
  • Better built in and supported functions for social networking. I know some may disagree but I don't feel it's something we should ignore.
  • An official, supported and up to date Sphinx search plugin module.
  • Potentially more simplified moderating and administrating systems to make things easier to do.
  • The site being "future proof" and up to date with standards. After all, we are a webmaster forum, I think it's important we stay on the cutting edge of available technologies.
  • Native mobile device support.
The theme will be very simplified, and if I can help it very near to what WJ is now except a little more updated with current web standards.

Thats basically what I wanted to see, rather then just asking what should happen, hearing reasons makes it easier to decide. lol

I'm assuming portable vBulletin is a no-go because.. its too hard to create a mobile skin?
Do you have an idea which script is (generally) slower then the other?

I don't have an idea at this stage. I do plan to do some testing though. From what I can tell, generally they're about the same. It'll also be hard to measure without actually making the switch. Which is something that would need to be done carefully, wouldn't want things being slow for example.

It is difficult to create a vBulletin Mobile skin. You essentially have to create it entirely from scratch unless you're modifying one that someones already made on vBulletin.org, which is basically the same as starting from scratch anyway!

I personally prefer vBulletin over any forum.

After googling, I've found a link;

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=249277

I assume you have mod access.

If not, I have a legit vBulletin license.

I've attempted to convert many forums, some with success, some with minor issues, I don't like converting forums as it makes feel the forum is UNSTABLE.

Example, I converted a phpBB to IPB and made all "Registered Users" full admins and made all "Admins" registered users. What can I say, times need to change for have 10k+ admins? Lol and 5 registered users. (A simple fix, correct this issues.) but also had few posting issues.

Now keep in mind this was like 4 to 5 years ago, so I assume the bugs are all worked out.

but, I don't see any reason to change, Unless this is a "NULLED" version (Not saying it is) - but "IF IT IS" and you decide to stay on it, I recommend ordering it and it's very easy to upgrade to 'NULLED' to 'LEGIT' (Done it few times for clients, Go figure - They had a DMCA complaint, therefore they were forced to buy it.) 2 Clients done this;

No, we're on a legitimate license and we'll continue to be whether we stay on vBulletin or move to another software. That Mobile Theme is for vBulletin 4... It looks nice but.

From the reading I've done there doesn't seem to be many problems with the converting progress. Either that or no one has really written about them.

Better built in and supported functions for social networking. I know some may disagree but I don't feel it's something we should ignore.
Social networking links integration is set on default in IPB 3.1.x onwards. Its also available on vB4 but I dont really see it on vB4 boards, maybe its a plugin.

An official, supported and up to date Sphinx search plugin module.
Option is available in the IPB admin panel, no extra plugins or modifications are needed.

Potentially more simplified moderating and administrating systems to make things easier to do.
Very simple administrative system on the backend and the moderation is as simple as two or three clicks per report. The report centre in IPB3 is great, moderators on my forum found it easy to use.

The site being "future proof" and up to date with standards. After all, we are a webmaster forum, I think it's important we stay on the cutting edge of available technologies.
I am sure many will agree with me when I say IPB has made vB a thing of the past. Invision are much more innovative and have brought forum software to a whol enew standard, something that vB are struggling to keep up with.

Native mobile device support.
Can be turned on with a click in IPB.

When it comes to IPB3 skinning, its an easy process once you know how it works. People will always say vB skinning is easier, that is only because they are used to the vB structure and code.

Im obviously more biased towards IPB, but theres a reason why. Its just better.

It would be nice if we had a vBulletin feel front-end (end-user) and a IPB backend (moderation/administration). It would make it feel like there is no change. And yes, it is do-able.

True, that's the intention. This front end isn't so easily recognizable to be vBulletin. It is to the experienced eye, but the intention for an IPB version would be similar. Our own unique feel/theme.

I like VB too, but that's not saying I wouldn't like anything else I just haven't modded on anything different.... change can be as good as... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back