Invision Power Board Or vBulletin? For WJunction.

IPB or vB?

• vBulletin

Votes: 95 46.8%
  • Invision Power Board

Votes: 81 39.9%
  • I don't care

Votes: 27 13.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on what IPS tells us, the only real annoying thing that'd we'd have to reconfigure is the permission sets. Which isn't such a lot of work in the bigger scheme of things. I am happy to see custom profile fields are converted across though :)

I'm guessing the only reason why you wanna convert is because you dont wanna be reminded of the old staff/do that "fresh new start" shit, since this place pretty much used to be a katz support forum.

Honestly, things are fine the way they are.

IPB for the reasons i already listed at (http://www.wjunction.com/showpost.php?p=721381&postcount=36)

i think long term it would be a good idea to do it, as ipb are innovating, while vBulletin are dieing and imitating.

I agree it will upset some members becuase people don't like change, but the longer it is left the more they think it can just stay how it is, and they still wont like change 3 months, even 2 years down the line, so might aswell get it over with now... IPB 3 offers some great features not just for members but mods aswell, for members the PM system is much nicer instead of 50 thousand pms where you have a conversation with the same persion its stored as one conversation.

The thing if people really like this skin so much then you could always get the skin converted over to ipb aswell and it can be called WJ V1 or something...

If you dont want converting to IPB to be a massive pain, then they offer a conversion service, so while you are sleeping or working etc there profesionals can do it, which means no stress for you, when you come on you have a nicely working ipb forum.

vBulletin was the best commercial community script of the early 00's but AOL was the best search engine too. You have to move and adapt with the times.
Any feature you say cannot be converted is a limit on the admin and his coding abilities and not on the script.
Staff and most of the active members are intelligent so implying they will have trouble with the new layout is an excuse and an insult to their intelligence.
Jasons comment about the html and CSS is also a terrible excuse. Any good designer and coder can create any layout just like vBulletin. A poor coder or designer will struggle.
Jason's comment about IPB's resources are also false. vBulletin is very heavy compared to IPB if you have the settings optimized correctly. Kids who import hundreds of useless mods and plugins without activating any of the optimizing settings give IPB an undeserved resource hog name.

The simple matter of fact is WJunction can't stay with vBulletin forever.It either moves now or leaves it another year when it's forced to move. Either way it's only a matter of time.

EDIT:
For those that don't know WJunction was previously converted to IPB by the old staff over a year ago. The theme wasn't converted but the site layout, posts and members were all successfully transferred. It all seamed to work perfectly and flawlessly.
have to agree my IPB installation is way faster then my vbulletin was...I say got IPB or open source as eventually you will need to change

Pity it's not a public vote. I'd be interested to see what other mature or experienced members with the exception of Jason also voted for vBulletin. It seams to be more inexperienced members and replies such as this example going for vBulletin. I'd like to see more substantial replies for a reason to stick with vBulletin.

Stop saying that you prefer vB and say WHY you prefer it.
Exactly.
I havent seen many replies here stating why you would prefer vB, the only reason I can think of is that you're used to the software and dont want things to change.

I'm guessing the only reason why you wanna convert is because you dont wanna be reminded of the old staff/do that "fresh new start" shit, since this place pretty much used to be a katz support forum.

Honestly, things are fine the way they are.
You're making assumptions based on no proof mate.

Things change. vB3 will soon be outdated. The board needs to be upgraded. That is all.

Why are people so scared of change?

I can guarantee that a large percentage of people who have voted for vB did so because they have been using it for years and havent explored IPB fully. IPB is far ahead of vB in almost every way, you are just choosing to ignore that fact and stick to what you're used to.

IPB is the obvious way to go. If you dont see it, get some glasses.

Pity it's not a public vote. I'd be interested to see what other mature or experienced members with the exception of Jason also voted for vBulletin. It seams to be more inexperienced members and replies such as this example going for vBulletin. I'd like to see more substantial replies for a reason to stick with vBulletin.
Agreed. A private vote between staff and respected members would be much more reliable IMO.

Last edited:
Yeah, the reason for upgrading would have nothing to do with the past. It'd have nothing to do with a fresh start either. It'd simply be the process of evolving... If we were to stay on here for say, another two years... Maybe the then current IPB version wouldn't support upgrades from our vBulletin version (Unlikely I know, just stating a point) and we'd need to go down a messy path.

I personally think that IPB is the way to go, and seemingly a lot of our staff members do also. This wouldn't be a quick fire decision, there's a lot of steps involved in such a major change and I guess for the people who don't like change the good news is that it's also a long process.

Will it happen or not? Let's see. Work is in progress on a WJ theme though ;) Hopefully I have something to show people in the coming days/week. I think if people can experience it it'll have a different effect on them rather than just the "thought" of changing. It may even bring a "wow" factor, who knows. Yet another major distraction. Hopefully it's for the better though! :)

An IPB theme. Just fooling around really... Will post it to respected members forum once there is something worth showing.

This is the 1st time I looked at this thread, I presumed it was a regular member that made it.

If its not broken dont fix it. 8-)

Stop saying that you prefer vB and say WHY you prefer it.

Well how can they tell you why when even they don't know. :| :))

IPB 3.2 may seem like huge script but it's not. It's actually lite and powerful.

Okay, IPB 2 wasn't that great.. but day when IPB 3 got released, vB got pwned hard.

No question about it, vB 3/4 will never be that good. 3.1 is awesome, can't wait to see what 3.2 will bring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back