Invision Power Board Or vBulletin? For WJunction.

IPB or vB?

• vBulletin

Votes: 95 46.8%
  • Invision Power Board

Votes: 81 39.9%
  • I don't care

Votes: 27 13.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Hyperz

If you actually know anything, you'd know that from all vBulletin security vulnerabilities, only 19 of them weren't mod related. And of all those 19 security vulnerabilities, only 2 of them were for the vB 3.8.x. And guess what, neither one of them is a major security vulnerability.

Every released script had security vulnerabilities, so you can't say that you wouldn't use vBulletin because of that.
You don't have to worry that some Genius will discover some major vulnerability, and that he'll release it for free, so all noobs could fuck up the sites. That won't be happening.

All forum scripts have more features than they actually need, it all depends on what the site admin likes and what not. Some people are vBulletin Professionals, and some people are IPB Professionals, and it's logical that they will always go for IPB as they learned to do anything they want with it.

New sites can avoid vBulletin all they want, it still doesn't change the fact that vBulletin is a great forum software.

It's obvious that both of them won't have the same performance on a board with 20 active users at the same time, and with 500 users at the same time. Every premade script needs to be optimized in order to work on a high traffic site.

Not true. For a Webmaster who just started, vBulletin's style system will be way easier than the IPB's one.

IPB is kinda like social network sites, with those sexy profile features, different reputation system, and some other stuff. User who was mostly on vBulletin forums would need time to get used to the IPB's features and everything. Sometimes, the small difference can mean a lot. For example, on vBulletin and phpBB, reply buttons are left, while on the IPB and MyBB, they're right. That doesn't sound like a big issue, but some people wouldn't like it.

What it didn't achieve?
There are more big forums running vBulletin than IPB, and all of them have a normal speed, even though some of them have over 2,000 users online at the same time.

You won't achieve anything by saying that vBulletin needs a complete rewrite, because it doesn't.

I personally think that all premade scripts aren't meant to be liked by developers, as it's obvious they wouldn't like the backend, if it's not coded the way they like it.

Important thing for me, is that the shit I want works, nothing else. You can live in your world of perfection.

I think vBulletin is better because it has some pretty colours and can display urls quite nicely.

IPB doesn't have very good link displaying features. Like when you click a link it doesn't change colour to say you've visited it. I think this is a cache error on IPB

I also once went on an IPB website and someone was mean to me.

is that what you mean?http://screensnapr.com/v/UPAntK.png because it changes colour for me may be the admin of the forum you visited use the same icon for read and unread topic

I think vBulletin is better because it has some pretty colours and can display urls quite nicely.

IPB doesn't have very good link displaying features. Like when you click a link it doesn't change colour to say you've visited it. I think this is a cache error on IPB

I also once went on an IPB website and someone was mean to me.

That has nothing to do with IPB. That stuff is controlled by CSS and the web browser. Skin designers can add a CSS rule for a visited link, or they can choose not to. Topic links can be styled accordingly. On adminspot for example unread topics are bold, read topics are normal.

As Hyperz said we are all biased, I am biased, i have never been a big fan of vb or phpbb, I have Used ipb since 2.1.7 and had a legitimate licence since aprox 2007, In Hindsight i am very glad i made that decision and i would make the same decision again, not based on prejudice (e.g. not being a fan of the layout) but based on fact e.g. In the last two years especially namely VB is copying IPB's features in version 4), hence allot of VB forums are switching to IPB 3.1 and not upgrading to VB4.....

Prejudice aside, i genuinely believe that based on factual evidence (e.g. some of which outlined again by Hyperz) IPB is the best path, and yes some people won’t like change but they will get used to it, others will absolutely love the new features, like the change from Personal messages to personal conversations (e.g. Conversations being stored in one message a little like a topic rather than hundreds of different messages)

To be completely honest I think that allot of the people voting for VB, or even IPB are doing so based on Prejudice or past representation without actually having a factual opinion e.g. if they choose VB and haven’t used ipb 3 how can you possibly say one is better?

I was being sarcastic, I was trying to lighten up the mood as it seems like people are getting edgey with each other; from an outside perspective anyways.

i have a potential solution to the question. Or rather an additional question:

You are using vBulletin, and are considering IPB 3.
If you were using IPB 3, would you consider vBulletin?

I agree with Hyperz. I have used both scripts, each for more than a year's span, both IPB 2.x and 3.x and vB 3.x and 4.x .
Ofcourse i have experienced more problems with vB both security and performance. IPB problems were negligible compared to vB.
Also Sp32, as Hyperz mentioned, links can be displayed as and how you want, you just want a bit of css knowledge for that.
If you run vB and IPB on the same server, IPB will run better, because if you wanna run vB with all the features of IPB, you have to install 5-7 addons which add more vulns to the forum and on top of that increases server load.
This is just my experience.

This thread has been extremely helpful to me. I recently bought an IPB license and am still testing my conversion from SMF and checking all the features, designing the skin to match the old one, etc. Then, a few days ago, a member on my forums who is also an admin at other sites, told me, if i decided to pay for a forum software, why not go for VB4? I told him what i thought i knew, but after reading the replies in this thread, i am now convinced that i made the right choice. I am on shared hosting, so it seems that IPB is indeed the best solution, as i do not want to have to buy a VB license and then be forced to upgrade my hosting from shared to something more expensive.

I preferred to buy IPB instead of using a nulled version as i'm hosted onshore, and my forum is an adult discussion forum, so not much at risk there. Well, i suppose if i got a properly nulled IPB, i could have used it, but then i discovered that IPB is priced at $150 and the license is yours forever when you buy it. Soon after, i read their news section and saw that IPS have planned a price hike to $175 permanently as from 1st January 2012. Hint: Get it now if you plan to. Only few days left before 2012. All of that kept me thinking at night and then early next morning, first thing i did was to login into my paypal and hit the pay button. $150 well spent, and then i bought a few mods, like the hide content and the tags mods which are well worth it, as the developers are really hard-working nice chaps and very helpful, as they even logged into my forums to fix my issues, since i've just started using IPB, having stuck to SMF for over 5 years!

I have been very satisfied with the IPS customer service. The community is helpful as well, although you do get much better advice and response from submitting support tickets (another benefit of a legal license, otherwise i would be stuck many many times trying to figure how to configure something). IPB also have an extremely easy (one of the major winning points which made me buy it) visual skin editor which was introduced in the latest v3.2. You just click and paint your theme. LOL. It's that easy. Anyway, i'll stop typing now as it seems like i'm advertising IPB, which i'm not! I'm just dropping in my 2cts as i bought it less than 2 weeks ago. I rarely buy software, so this must be why i'm feeling over-enthusiastic, for good reason!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back