Suggestions for cheapest starter server for a filesharing website

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaguaar

So what would be best & cheapest choices to have a starter server for a filesharing website which I dont expect to have lot of laod for first two months? Prefer server to be in EU. Host should be able to forward any dmca related issues to me rathar than impose a ban after 3/4 notices. Will need lot of space and terrific speed.
Leaseweb?
OVH
Dedifrance?
kimsulfi?
What budget should I plan for?
Any sugegstions guys?

20 comments
Think of trying koddos.com services to meet all your demands.
Contact their support to put more questions to them. They are active and they try to satisfy the needs of all their customers.

The only reservation with off-shore is latency issues, as well as support depending on the provider.

If you're focusing on US I'd try a provider in Latin America or Canada. Just check with them first to make sure it's cool.

Searching for Chap = Hostgator Dedicated Server

Leaseweb, OVH = Most of the files sharing sites using that. And most of those sites owner end-up in JAIL or Bankrupt.

Dedifrance, kimsulfi = Same OVH LOL!

I'm also working on this project for quite of the time. I build my own script (By copy for other good files hosting script). I using a good Web hosting company (I can't say that company name here. inbox me) and hoping it's turned out well. And there is no cheap server/s for files sharing web sites. LOL!

Most good hosting providers will forward any complaints to you and offer you 24/36 hours for removal of DMCA regulated content. This would be easy to do in both EU and USA on most networks. You do not necessarily have to go off shore to get this level of quality :) Budget I would expect with a 1Gbps port around $140.00USD - $200.00USD depending on how much content and traffic you expect to get. You could go lower but you would end up buying a bunch of small servers which may end up costing more over time. Biggest thing is that you will want to be compliant with regulations. Make sure that you have a report link where people can submit DMCA complaints to you on your website and you should be fine :)

Big companies like OVH/ won't tolerate DMCA complaints. If you're file-sharing you'll get them. Smaller/Medium sized providers are easier to work with. Check Webhostingtalk.com offers section. You'll find plenty. Just make sure they're independent and not an OVH reseller.

Most good hosting providers will forward any complaints to you and offer you 24/36 hours for removal of DMCA regulated content. This would be easy to do in both EU and USA on most networks. You do not necessarily have to go off shore to get this level of quality :) Budget I would expect with a 1Gbps port around $140.00USD - $200.00USD depending on how much content and traffic you expect to get. You could go lower but you would end up buying a bunch of small servers which may end up costing more over time. Biggest thing is that you will want to be compliant with regulations. Make sure that you have a report link where people can submit DMCA complaints to you on your website and you should be fine :)

Removing files within 36 hours is fine but the problem is that some like ovh suspend the account after couple of complaints which makes it very difficult to work with them.

Big companies like OVH/ won't tolerate DMCA complaints. If you're file-sharing you'll get them. Smaller/Medium sized providers are easier to work with. Check Webhostingtalk.com offers section. You'll find plenty. Just make sure they're independent and not an OVH reseller.

It is not a matter of being big or small. OVH and Hetzner do not tolerate DMCA and many other things because they like to keep cost down. If they were to emplore efforts to accept these things then it would mean more man power is needed. They would have to hire more dedicated abuse teams. They are unmanaged so basically they do not have to worry about mediocre complaints and issues, nor do they have to care about terminating a 2.00 server for abuse. Their ROI is already 12 - 14 months on a server because they sell so cheap. So getting rid of a person who will do this means free money and someone else will buy the server easy. They cut ROI by terminating cause they double dip in a month on income from sales.

As a semi managed provider like us might keep a customer and deal with issues because this is our goal. To provide a complex service which allows leeway to smaller and medium hosts as well as the management for bigger providers which need help every so often.

It is not a matter of being big or small. OVH and Hetzner do not tolerate DMCA and many other things because they like to keep cost down. If they were to emplore efforts to accept these things then it would mean more man power is needed. They would have to hire more dedicated abuse teams. They are unmanaged so basically they do not have to worry about mediocre complaints and issues, nor do they have to care about terminating a 2.00 server for abuse. Their ROI is already 12 - 14 months on a server because they sell so cheap. So getting rid of a person who will do this means free money and someone else will buy the server easy. They cut ROI by terminating cause they double dip in a month on income from sales.

As a semi managed provider like us might keep a customer and deal with issues because this is our goal. To provide a complex service which allows leeway to smaller and medium hosts as well as the management for bigger providers which need help every so often.
yes, makes perfect sense, This is why they are so cheap.

So far
I have struck out hetzner kimsulfi and ovh
Short listed - leaseweb, fdc servers, 100tb, gorilla servers
Any one got any other recommendation?

Last edited:
Was there any specific server setup you require?

4x Bay chassis, 12-bay Chassis - or 60-Bay? ;)
I would also assume you would require atleast a 1Gbps dedicated port, though more information from you would be helpful.

Many providers do allow storage services such as file hosting sites and have plans in place for such usage, generally you've just got to ask :)

Where is the majority of your visitors from?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back