Can you live without the Internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froomple

Yup, it has become am inevitable part of our lives. I've been trying to avoid using it at all costs, but still end up using it in one way or the other. Thanks to the latest technologies that provides instant access to internet wherever you are.

My question is, can you really live without the internet in this modern era? If you do, would you feel alienated?

Or is it just about our self control that needs to be worked upon?

190 comments
Technically, yes. But would I want to? Nope. It's possible to live entirely without electricity, internet and other modern conveniences. But that's a totally different type of living than most of us do. As far as "living" in the modern world, I think the internet is absolutely necessary to help one succeed in life and business. I don't work with any company that I cannot find any trace of on the internet. Even tiny companies can have a social media profile, and to me, being able to find you online adds credibility.

Plus, what would I do with my free time if I couldn't look at funny pictures? :)

This is a post I made on another forum about why I don't own a smartphone which I think is relevant:

I've used computers for over 15 years, and I'm a big nerd and technofile.

Lately though, I've realized just how much the internet has taken over my life, and affected me in many negative ways. This includes socially; my generation doesn't know how to interact with each other anymore, mentally; it's difficult to remember anything when information is there at the push of a button, and in other aspects of life.

I honestly don't think the constant influx of information is a good thing, and it's certainly been an addiction in my life. Just try going without the internet for a couple weeks and you'll see what I mean.

For this reason, I'm trying to use computers and the internet as a tool rather than a lifestyle, and connect with people on a more intimate basis. Sometimes this involves leaving my (dumb) phone at home entirely. So it's for this reason that I choose not to carry a miniature PC with me all the time, and experience life rather than creating endless diversions.

Oh the answer is totally no. However, if I were raised without the Internet I would probably see it easy, but now when everything depends on the Internet - my connections, my business and etc, it seems to be impossible to live without it. Some say that it is only a mean of comfort, but as for me, it is a mean of my life.

I know I can't, If could choose one thing, it that i would want to become the internet :/ - Too many things on there I don't know about

Unless, I'm in hospital or a place with no internet access, or I didnt bring along my laptop.

Basically, I can't live without internet or else I won't be here posting.:)

Isn't it weird that we are discussing this on the internet? Just a thought. As for the question, I think I might be able to live without internet if the people closest to me didn't use it as well. But in this age, when internet just makes everything easy, we should take advantage of it and use it for good things. So, I don't think I will be giving up internet any time soon. :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back