Invision Power Board Or vBulletin? For WJunction.

IPB or vB?

• vBulletin

Votes: 95 46.8%
  • Invision Power Board

Votes: 81 39.9%
  • I don't care

Votes: 27 13.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I prefer IPB, but let me tell you that on a very popular IPB (latest version) forum, through an SQL inject a hacker was able to get into the forum using an admin or a global mob ID. He wasn't able to get into the admin area though. But yeah, even IPB isn't 100% fool-proof. Just my 2 cents.

to be honest i don't really think WJ needs to move on IPB or vB4 its best the way WJ is! moving to vB4 will be too messy moving to IPB is like you're going backward to 70's lol

there is nothing to change in WJ just work on theme thats it :)

i go with vBulletin

to be honest i don't really think WJ needs to move on IPB or vB4 its best the way WJ is! moving to vB4 will be too messy moving to IPB is like you're going backward to 70's lol

i go with vBulletin

lmao admin change his nick from cyberaff to cyberass because he surely has some eyes prob xD

I vote to stick with VB3 for now. It's EOL, but there do not seem to be any major problems with it.

But as long as VB4 is not an option, I'm on board either way.

I know nothing about IPB. Never used it or really seen it even. I don't frequent many forums.

Last edited:

i go with vBulletin

Do you still using AOL or do you use Google?
Do you use carrier pigeons and smoke signals or do you own a mobile phone?
Do you use a horse and cart or do you own a car?
Do you rub sticks together or use a firelighter?
Do you go to the library and look up books or search the internet?
Do you buy records or download mp3's?
Do you play with marbles and a rubix cube or do you own a games console?
Do you still use vb3 or do you use IPB?

Do you still using AOL or do you use Google?
Do you use carrier pigeons and smoke signals or do you own a mobile phone?
Do you use a horse and cart or do you own a car?
Do you rub sticks together or use a firelighter?
Do you go to the library and look up books or search the internet?
Do you buy records or download mp3's?
Do you play with marbles and a rubix cube or do you own a games console?
Do you still use vb3 or do you use IPB?
This is kind of extreme don't you think? I don't think vb3 fits these cases yet.

lol at 24 votes for vBulletin. I think you got your answer eLight, check posts and you will see most people agree that IPB is way to go...

Come on guys.. Comparing of forum scripts with things from daily life is like JJJ said, a bit extreme, lol.

vBulletin 3 serves its purpose, just because they're not developing it anymore it really doesn't mean that script doesn't have necessary features, it has way more features than it actually needs. And there's no need to talk about its vulnerability, there are no major vulnerabilities otherwise biggest boards would be hacked long time ago. Those are just stories for kids, most of the vulnerabilities that vBulletin 3 had were modification related.

So far all the reasonable people who have voted have given a reason as to why they chose IPB. Up to now, I have yet to see a proper(reasonable) vB reason other than Jason's. I bet that most of the vB choices were made by the "new guys" who have only used vB because it WAS the most popular commercial forum software.

From the replies here, it's clear to see what direction WJ should take, IPB is newer, it is the forum software of the foreseeable future and everything that you "like" about vB is either already implemented or is easy to add to IPB 3.1. IPB 3.2 is also just around the corner and promises some exciting new features, which hopefully will finally convince the vB3 users that a switch to IPB is for the best.

Btw, I'm all for IPB3, I switched a site from phpBB3 to IPB3 and it was one of the best move I ever made.

Regards.

To me it really doesnt make a diffrence,IPB is def nice and being i am not a coder or really own a forum script anymore i cant say which would be better to be perfectly honest. But i dont see any issues with the current forum really,afterall its a message board/chatroom. And doesnt seem that anything is really broken,as the ol saying goes "if it aint broke dont fix it".

The vote is really quite close on this,and i see some good respected people posting valid arguments from both sides of the fence. I guess if the members want to see an upgrade (if its even really necessary) IPB would be the way to go over upgrading to VB4 if thats the only 2 choices available.

Voted for Invision Power Board

because it have so many new things compare to VB , and i like there themes and some plugins

btw VB rocks, WJ looks cool in VB

I have used IPB and not really liked it but that could just be me being picky more than anything. Personally I like vBulletin 3 even though it is nearing it's EOL but having said that so is WindowsXP and look at how many people use that still! Just because it is near or at its EOL does not mean (in my opinion) that it should be buried and forgotten if it works for what you want it do then use it. vB3 has a plethora of mods and hacks which are available possibly more than IPB due to its popularity and there are lots of people who can write new ones too. Having said that though many people might be able to write ones for IPB though I have no idea about that just my own thoughts on the matter more than anything.

Personally my advice would be to look at what features you want (aimed at the admin of WJ there) from the forum software and what you want to change, add etc and then look at which of the two will allow you to do that, if they both do then look at other things like a mobile skin perhaps or whatever.

Anyway I have voted for vB3 (y)

JGM.

Good post JGM. And like snow said, it's not even okay. vB have 32 votes, only Jason and JGM posted valid replies.

A lot of newbies voted for vB...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back