1. Language Master

Language Master Active Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Hello there!

I am on a shared hosting since 2010, I will upgrade my account in 2 months to VPS, so I guess at least I should start learning it now, the hosting company says, they fully managed it but I find no reasons to not learn myself, in all cases, that's very good to a webmaster who looking for a success,

I just want you to point me where to start learning, any recommended books ? tutorials ? shall I start learning admistrate linux enviremoen or windows ?

Please, your help is very appreciated, thank you guys!

BTW, anyone tries LVPShosting.com ?

WS

2. LEVAC109

LEVAC109 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Learn linux VPS. I like CentOS. But there's also Fedora and some people use Ubuntu server too. Learning server is just like learning the desktop version. If you know the linux commands, you're 50% ready. The rest is just learning about networking, security and such but they won't be hard. It's easy. They just take time. Just use Google if you don't know how to do something and try to memorize the steps. Your knowledge will add on.

3. Language Master

Mar 3, 2011
    Thanks LEVAC109 :)

That means linux is similar to normal windows we use on our PCs?

I have already googled it but many results pop up so I come here to ask for a hand pointing me where exactly should I begin the journey

Please advise!

4. maverick79

maverick79 Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2011
    necessity is the mother of invention likewise ur necessity teaches you everything

5. caloss

caloss Active Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Its not easy,if it was, it wouldn't take time.its nothing like windows ..Centos and Fedora are the same with regard to subtle nuances, they are both based on the redhat kernel....I haven't tried that host but just make sure bandwidth and RAM are sufficient for the application your running....For learning purposes I suggest using CBT's.

6. Language Master

Mar 3, 2011
    Calos, Thanks for the advice!

Would you suggest this course for beginner to learn how to adminitrate linux

[​IMG]

And btw, should I start learning linux or other operating system ?

Thanks alot maveric :) but you didn't suggest where to start :)

7. BlaZe

BlaZe Well-Known Member Respected

Oct 18, 2009
    http://www.webhostgear.com/hosting-articles.html it solved most of my problems when I was learning server management.

Also, what you can do now is just get a low end VPS, read some tutorials online (Google them) and try playing with the VPS.

8. Language Master

Mar 3, 2011
    BlaZe, Thanks alot, looks more information is there, I appreciate the help!

Can you recommend the cheapest VPs providers just to play around ?

9. BlaZe

BlaZe Well-Known Member Respected

Oct 18, 2009
  10. Language Master

Mar 3, 2011
    Thanks once again, you were a great of help!

11. futureawesome

futureawesome Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Just want to ask any sites you recommend for vps basic security for WP blogs. I don't have the traffic to need a managed vps or to hire someone to do it for me just want to learn as well.

12. Language Master

Mar 3, 2011
    I have joined lvpshosting.com

read alot of good review / managed the server for you (you don't have to be expert person) / reasonable price, I have just paid 1 month to see if I can proceed with VPs or not, ppl say it's good

13. esson

esson Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    vps6.net is good too.