[TUTORIAL] Install Windows on Online.net Dedibox SC/XC Personal Range with QEMU

myrlse

Hello WJ!

I make this tutorial to show you how install Windows or Custom ISO in our dedicated servers without KVM/iLO or IPMI

Tested on: Dedibox SC/XC Personal Range also works with KIMSUFI and Hetzner servers/vps

My Dedicated Server: Dedibox XC SSD 2016 (server without KVM/iLO or IPMI)

Enoei0J.jpg

1 - Go to your Online.net panel

https://console.online.net/en/login

2 - Make a clean install of Ubuntu (16.04_LTS-server 64BITS or latest version)

y55edWI.jpg

BtiE961.jpg

3 - Once install is finished open Putty and login with your Ubuntu credential

4- Type this:

Code:
sudo -i

5- Put your password again

6- Wipe your hard disks , enter this command:

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M count=1

7- Now we need create a tmp space to our ISO with this command "size=8000m", this space depend of the size of our ISO and your RAM

Code:
mount -t tmpfs -o size=8000m tmpfs /mnt

8- Download the ISO - In this case from Microsoft TechNet Evaluation Center

Code:
wget -P /mnt DIRECTLINKOFYOURISO

Example - Windows Server 2012 R2

Code:
wget -P /mnt http://care.dlservice.microsoft.com/dl/download/6/2/A/62A76ABB-9990-4EFC-A4FE-C7D698DAEB96/9600.17050.WINBLUE_REFRESH.140317-1640_X64FRE_SERVER_EVAL_EN-US-IR3_SSS_X64FREE_EN-US_DV9.ISO

9- One time ISO is downloaded in our server we need install Portable QEMU

Code:
wget -qO- /tmp https://ia601503.us.archive.org/12/items/vkvm.tar/vkvm.tar.gz | tar xvz -C /tmp

10- Launch QEMU

Code:
/tmp/qemu-system-x86_64 -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::3389-:3389 -m 2048M -localtime -enable-kvm -cpu host,+nx -M pc -smp 2 -vga std -usbdevice tablet -k en-us -cdrom /mnt/NAMEOFYOURISO -hda /dev/sda -boot once=d -vnc :1

Example - Windows Server 2012 R2

Code:
/tmp/qemu-system-x86_64 -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::3389-:3389 -m 2048M -localtime -enable-kvm -cpu host,+nx -M pc -smp 2 -vga std -usbdevice tablet -k en-us -cdrom /mnt/9600.17050.WINBLUE_REFRESH.140317-1640_X64FRE_SERVER_EVAL_EN-US-IR3_SSS_X64FREE_EN-US_DV9.ISO -hda /dev/sda -boot once=d -vnc :1

11- Install Windows with VNC Viewer (Connect to YOURSERVERIP:1)

Note: I installed windows in Spanish, you can install it in your preferred language.

weDqasO.jpg

C4p8p18.jpg

BVf8IIy.jpg

fryPcjS.jpg

J9KnZqq.jpg

piZHFoE.jpg

B1eYcHI.png

KQLgRug.jpg

12- Enable Remote Desktop (mstsc) Existing Rule on Windows Firewall with Advanced Security

vnrbvz2.png

If you cant just disable firewall (not recommended)

13- Enable RDP (System properties/Remote Access)

4Wpo9kh.jpg

14- Very important: You need install drivers for original (not virtual) network controller.

Once you have downloaded the driver of your network driver you need the .inf file

Install it as follows:

Open Windows cmd and use cd command to search .inf location

Example

Code:
C:\Users\MYRLSE
C:\Users\MYRLSE>cd..
C:\Users>cd..
C:\>cd intel
C:\Intel>
C:\Intel>pnputil.exe -a *.inf

15- Back to Putty and press Ctrl+C to finish QEMU

R0ihPKW.png

16- Type this on Putty to boot Windows from C:

Code:
/tmp/qemu-system-x86_64 -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::3389-:3389 -m 2048M -localtime -enable-kvm -cpu host,+nx -M pc -smp 2 -vga std -usbdevice tablet -k en-us -hda /dev/sda -boot c -vnc :1

17 - Reboot Server from Online.net console.

18 - Connect to Windows through remote desktop.

19 - Enjoy!

Notes: Online.net does not need configure IP they have DHCP but if you are testing on another provider and they dont support DHCP you can type this:

Code:
lspci | egrep -i --color 'network|ethernet' 
lshw -class network

And configure with your provider IP, Netmask, Gateway

Code:
netsh interface ipv4 set address name="Ethernet 2" static 37.XXX.XXX.183 255.255.255.192 37.XXX.XXX.129

If you reboot server and cant connect for x reason, you can launch RESCUE image from Online.net console (I use Ubuntu 16.04 amd64) and solve any problem do you have

GZKtmim.jpg

qRu7KGD.jpg

Connect via Putty with login credential provides for Online.net

Remember:

Install Portable QEMU

Code:
wget -qO- /tmp https://ia601503.us.archive.org/12/items/vkvm.tar/vkvm.tar.gz | tar xvz -C /tmp

Launch QEMU

Code:
/tmp/qemu-system-x86_64 -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::3389-:3389 -m 2048M -localtime -enable-kvm -cpu host,+nx -M pc -smp 2 -vga std -usbdevice tablet -k en-us -hda /dev/sda -boot c -vnc :1

Connect to VNC Viewer (YOURSERVERIP:1)

On my case I need install Intel Drivers for Network adapter Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I354 2.5 GbE Backplane (rev 03)

Reboot to normal mode from Online.net console.

Connect to Windows through remote desktop.

PHHngXA.jpg

Enjoy!

SPEED TEST OF MY SERVER

6426982126.png

Last edited:
27 comments
Very cool tutorial, congrats. But why wouldn't you just have it installed?

JvDNJTEUQ0KneZ_xyQ0oJQ.png

Unless there is no option to enter your own license, in that case disregard my comment, I am not familiar with this provider...

Very cool tutorial, congrats. But why wouldn't you just have it installed?

JvDNJTEUQ0KneZ_xyQ0oJQ.png

Unless there is no option to enter your own license, in that case disregard my comment, I am not familiar with this provider...

You have option of install windows from online.net console for €29.99/mo you can't put your own license.

qGGKZWH.jpg

Last edited:
Format the /dev/sda with the existing Ubuntu running, but still executes wget and various tools? wtf? :o

edit: never mind, you deletes the partition table + boot sector with that.

Very nice tuts,

IMHO, If we install qemu and put windows on top of ubuntu, itu would eat up the memory and resources so the system would not optimum, but it is a good option if we installed it at dedi to create vps.

Also how about if we want to create more virtual server using a qemu ?

Please advice

Best,

Xen

Sent from my Lenovo S860 using Tapatalk

Format the /dev/sda with the existing Ubuntu running, but still executes wget and various tools? wtf? :o

edit: never mind, you deletes the partition table + boot sector with that.

Ubuntu tools like wget stop working once the new operating system is installed, QEMU is on a /tmp/ so still working

Regards.

Very nice tuts,
IMHO, If we install qemu and put windows on top of ubuntu, itu would eat up the memory and resources so the system would not optimum, but it is a good option if we installed it at dedi to create vps.
Also how about if we want to create more virtual server using a qemu ?

You dont install Windows on top of Ubuntu, you make a clean instalation of Windows on dedicated server with this tuto, the old instalation of Ubuntu does not exist anymore after these steps.

About how create more instances of virtual servers with QEMU i don't have idea how, you can try with proxmox (Open-Source Virtualization)

Regards

Last edited:
Thanks for made this guide i want install windows server 2016 in soyoustart everything was going well but i'm face problem for connect VNC for KVM not work in my server

have any idea about this?

I was really hoping I could get this to work. But I keep getting stuck at the same spot.

As soon as the installation begins at the Installing Windows screen, I am kicked out of Putty and VNC Viewer. Putty gives the message: Network error: Software caused connection abort. VNC Viewer then give the message Attempting to reconnect to VNC Server. I have tried different options like using Screen with Putty to not have it depend upon the Putty session, but I haven't found a way to get beyond this point.

open

open

Any ideas??

Back