SSD for OP, 10TB storage, 10Gb port

Status
Not open for further replies.

amartin99

hello
im looking for a server with a Solid State Driva
it dosn't have to be to big just enough for windows and a temp download folder (before the downloads get Extracted from RAR and moved to the storage drives)

for storage id like about 10TB spread out on several drives (striped for speed)

CPU
as many and as fast as possible (got to be at least 8 true cores)
hyper-threading to bring that up to 16 would be nice but I don't think it's really needed

Ram
id love to see 64GB and turn about 50 of it into a Ram drive and use that as a temp download folder
but im not sure if that would actually gain me anything over the SSD in speed

Bandwidth
im planning to move a LOT of data so unmetered would sure be nice
but up to $1 per TB is tolerable (barley)

Id prefer this in the NL (but long as the price is good ill take whatever I can get)

im willing to pay upto about $400
but best price will get me

31 comments
Really with this budget you should go for OVH, I can not see who can help with all these top features.
PS: This request is unrealistic
Good luck :)

Last edited:
An SSD for the OS, lots of ram, top of the line cpu, at least 5 drives in a RAID0 or LVM (assuming linux), unmetered transfer on a 10gbit port.

I'm going to be genuinely surprised if even OVH manages to fit all of that in your $400 budget. And they are as cheap as the hosting industry can get.

I don't really know where you get your estimates from, but you need to either up your budget or lower your requirements. You need to get realistic.

and encoding

but yea im a big uploader

im also a bit of a noob when it comes to non shared servers
but ive been looking around a bit and found this

PRO : Intel Bi Xeon E5606[2x 4x 2.13+ GHz]
RAM : 24 GB DDR3 ECC
HDD1 : 2x 40 GB SSD
HDD2 : 2x 3000 GB
RAID : LSI MegaRaid 0/1
PORT : 10 Gbps
BANDWIDTH : Unmetered
PRICE : 315 USD/mo

ill admit I only about 1/2 understand what im talking about
but that looks pretty good to me

and now for a really dumb question
what's this OVH people are talking about ?

The interesting part is you quoted an offer that is from OVH (via a reseller, I assume) and you don't know what OVH is.

In any case, the 10GBit port is not unmetered. After a 30 (or 40) TB of transfer, your connection goes down to 10Mbit unless you pay for additional bandwidth that is about 1 euro/TB. Pretty cheap.

That's also 6TB of storage versus 10TB that you want. And OVH, from what I know, will terminate your server if you host warez. With you anticipating a lot of data movement and storage, I won't be surprised if they get curious and take a peak.

And it's 24GB RAM, not 64GB.

My advice is quite simple, if you want to encode, get a server that's good on specs just to encode; probably a good cpu, some ram, and 100mbit metered connection. Encode your stuff and transfer it over to another storage server that has a good amount of space and a gbit connection (probably metered).

You might be able to fit that in your budget; but the specs you want are out of question.

im NOT looking to host any files
just store while I work on them then upload

im currently just using 4TB 6 sounds pretty good but 10 would be really nice

Hello,

check that..
Code:
http://fdcservers.net/ams.php[code]

XEON E5 2603
 64GB RAM
 2x3TB HDD 7200
 10Gbps fiber optic  NIC
 10Gbps dedicated port
 Unmetered bandwidth / transfer
 IPMI
 APC remote reboot port
 N+1 power
   Free windows/control panel
 Month to month
 Down grade to weak sauce 1Gbps port/uplink -$100/month

Free upgrade dual xeon before July 1st.
Free upgrade 128 Gb ram before july 1st.
or
Free upgrade 6tb hdd before july 1st.

They have Trial server too for test. btw for SD you have to ask their support.

I do like NL (best server iv had was in NL) and it was head and shoulders above all the rest
wish id paid more attention to it's stats rather then just the performance

im wondering if I should drop the 10giga idea
seems to make everything a lot more expencive

That server from FDC will cost you $500/month and is in their Amsterdam (therefore NL) facility. Might want to look into that. It's not 10TB, but it's 6TB space and 10Gbit connection; usable bandwidh is about 3Gbit average.

my suggestion :

1)
SSD is unreliable, so try 15k rpm drives instead of SSD. i think same or slightly very less performance than SSD

2)
use server for encoding alone, i think you have RS premium (upload to RS first then mirror to other filehosts) - just hire coder, he will code for you - everything automatic for upload to RS and othr required hosts

Only filehost have 600 gbit dedicated fibers, even few datacentres have this much high capability

so use server for encoding only

3)
contact leaseweb or ovh support, sure they give nice offers than any other :) or post here, you will get atleast 10 offers in first minute from webhosting companies (not resellers)
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

some vary good advice in this thread
I need to think (my biggest problem is I move to fast)

however I have been trying some at uploading to RS (have many premies hehehe) and then remoting to others
allways running into problems

but that thought you had of automatic
id like to hear some more on that

@evoluso
it's just my opinion, no body think like same :) and his main goal is uploading

Automatic ==>> hire coder (lot of good coders in wj) and tell your need, sure he will create a script for you.

may ask like below

script need to upload a file to RS, then use the rapidshare link(it's resource) and upload to other host from RS using remoting RS link to other

may be it's a half bot script

don't sapose you know of anyone with experience in making things like that ?

O I did make a post in that other forum to
not asking for hosting this time though (gona go slower on that and try to get a better understanding of what im talking about)
for the moment im just bringing up your thought that SSD is unreliable, and 15k rpm drives are nearly as good

if that's true then I have to rethink my hole idea

also if someone can truly setup a bot to auto remote stuff from RS to other hosts for me then I really don't need a 10giga port

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back