SSD for OP, 10TB storage, 10Gb port

Status
Not open for further replies.
my suggestion :

1)
SSD is unreliable, so try 15k rpm drives instead of SSD. i think same or slightly very less performance than SSD

2)
use server for encoding alone, i think you have RS premium (upload to RS first then mirror to other filehosts) - just hire coder, he will code for you - everything automatic for upload to RS and othr required hosts

Only filehost have 600 gbit dedicated fibers, even few datacentres have this much high capability

so use server for encoding only

3)
contact leaseweb or ovh support, sure they give nice offers than any other :) or post here, you will get atleast 10 offers in first minute from webhosting companies (not resellers)
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

You are so misinformed, it's not even funny. Your lack of information and knowledge on the subject surprises me and makes you look bad. It's best to not comment on something if you don't know jack shit about it.

1) SSDs are not unreliable. Enterprise SSDs used in servers are very reliable, and the speed difference between a 15k and an SSD is not 'slightly very less'. Next time you go about saying illogical stuff like that, research a bit.

2) Do you think filehosts build datacenters to house their servers? No. They lease servers (most of them) from already established datacenters who have a lot of connectivity. Some co-locate. And there's only one I know who probably has their own DC (Rapidshare). Where did pull 600Gbit from? What does that represent? A lot of DCs have a lot of connectivity. Don't give him the wrong advice if you don't know shit yourself.

3) He will not get 10 offers in 60 seconds if he posts on WHT. Again, don't go around recommending total BS if you don't know it yourself.

WOW

anyway I made a post in that other forums hosting chat section
about SSD
they gave me some extremely us-full info
and man am I impressed with the numbers on SSD

im also realizing I have a lot to learn before I go buying anything

If you care to read my input, here it is...

In my opinion, you're trying to sound rich but I do not think so. If you're an upload expert, you're not rich and therefore don't try to buy over-killing servers, such as the spec you've posted in your first post. Besides, that kind does not exist yet in this world.

1. SSD, according to my experience, unless you buy "less-premium" SSD disks powered servers, such as OVH (I think they use less premium ones), you won't feel much advantage of being with SSDs. I've heard some SSD cause constant troubles.

2. So if you ARE really into something fast and within this world's reality, then I suggest you use some multiple 7.2k rpm SATA 2 or 3 disks in RAID. And go up to the 15k ones. Don't go for SSDs.

You won't see 10 TB SSD yet anyway.

3. Remember, no datacenter will allow you to push more than 100 TB from your 10 Gbps port. Not even 50 TB of bandwidth, even though they connect you to 10 Gbps. Almost all DCs have "fairusage" policy which protects them and allows them to limit your connectivity. Why? because in reality, 10 Gbps or 100 TB of bandwidth cost actually a LOT per month, like $700+. Your budget is only $400.

Let's say you actually get 10 Gbps, your disks could limit your speed and maybe you are just running like 1-2 Gbps max speed while transferring data in reality and yet you're paying a 10 Gbps connection, which is messed up. It's like you bought a Lamborghini for driving in the city.

PS: I've talked to FDCServer regarding that spec, they said they won't allow usage of full 10 Gbps which is around 3.1 Petabyes (PB) a month. They said max you can push is like 1-2 Gbps and around 40-60 TB a month. If you want more speed, they do have it but you just gotta pay around $9999 a month. I'm not sure on the exact pricing but it's around that, for 10 Gbps unmetered.

So, for your usage, my recommendation. Get multiple smaller servers. Or it'll be good for both building up your experience since you said you're a noob in non-shared servers, and for your purpose of the server.

That's why I said, your wish is unrealistic and overkill.

Amartin, I think that you are a troll.

You are trolling every THREAD with your DUMMIE thoughts.

Please stop trolling, how old are you, 13 ? (According to your username)

If you care to read my input, here it is...

In my opinion, you're trying to sound rich but I do not think so. If you're an upload expert, you're not rich and therefore don't try to buy over-killing servers, such as the spec you've posted in your first post. Besides, that kind does not exist yet in this world.

1. SSD, according to my experience, unless you buy "less-premium" SSD disks powered servers, such as OVH (I think they use less premium ones), you won't feel much advantage of being with SSDs. I've heard some SSD cause constant troubles.

2. So if you ARE really into something fast and within this world's reality, then I suggest you use some multiple 7.2k rpm SATA 2 or 3 disks in RAID. And go up to the 15k ones. Don't go for SSDs.

You won't see 10 TB SSD yet anyway.

3. Remember, no datacenter will allow you to push more than 100 TB from your 10 Gbps port. Not even 50 TB of bandwidth, even though they connect you to 10 Gbps. Almost all DCs have "fairusage" policy which protects them and allows them to limit your connectivity. Why? because in reality, 10 Gbps or 100 TB of bandwidth cost actually a LOT per month, like $700+. Your budget is only $400.

Let's say you actually get 10 Gbps, your disks could limit your speed and maybe you are just running like 1-2 Gbps max speed while transferring data in reality and yet you're paying a 10 Gbps connection, which is messed up. It's like you bought a Lamborghini for driving in the city.

PS: I've talked to FDCServer regarding that spec, they said they won't allow usage of full 10 Gbps which is around 3.1 Petabyes (PB) a month. They said max you can push is like 1-2 Gbps and around 40-60 TB a month. If you want more speed, they do have it but you just gotta pay around $9999 a month. I'm not sure on the exact pricing but it's around that, for 10 Gbps unmetered.

So, for your usage, my recommendation. Get multiple smaller servers. Or it'll be good for both building up your experience since you said you're a noob in non-shared servers, and for your purpose of the server.

That's why I said, your wish is unrealistic and overkill.
yea I have done some looking around and im also convinced that 10Gbps is impractical
any site that gives me confidence that ill be able to use it is recklessly out of my price-range
before making this post I had seen a few offers for it at around $60 a month
but didn't look to closely at them
was likely shared with a cap on it

Amartin, I think that you are a troll.

You are trolling every THREAD with your DUMMIE thoughts.

Please stop trolling, how old are you, 13 ? (According to your username)
strange I though Troll's where people going around insulting others looking to get arguments going

I freely admit im not to sure what im talking about
but I hear numbers like 10Gbps and SSD around 250 times faster then disks
and think MAN I WANT THAT

strange I though Troll's where people going around insulting others looking to get arguments going

I freely admit im not to sure what im talking about
but I hear numbers like 10Gbps and SSD around 250 times faster then disks
and think MAN I WANT THAT

But you are asking improbable :facepalm: You are saying that you are a proffesional uploader but you do not have basic computer hardware knowledge.:facepalm:

SSD is not faster than 250 times a normal disk.Also you can not use the 10gbps connection in a single dedicated server, nobody can give a offer like this.In a best scenario, you can get 1gbps unshared connection, but not with a $400.Grow up and do some research, and do not waste user's time who want to help people.

Also I want Adriana Lima, too.But it will never happen.

The extremism of your demand does not fit with the reality.

at the moment im renting RDP on 2 servers
both have 1gbps unlimited
one has 6 cores and gives me 400GB of space for $37 (only 3 users on it)
the other has 4 cores and gives me 1TB of space for $57 (5 users on it)

I looked at thows numbers and assumed they are getting these servers for less then they are charging

that's why I thought I could get a really good system for $400

at the moment im renting RDP on 2 servers
both have 1gbps unlimited
one has 6 cores and gives me 400GB of space for $37 (only 3 users on it)
the other has 4 cores and gives me 1TB of space for $57 (5 users on it)

I looked at thows numbers and assumed they are getting these servers for less then they are charging

that's why I thought I could get a really good system for $400

But you are passing over a step, the server that you are using now IS SHARED.

NOBODY CAN GIVE YOU 6 CORES + 400 GB AND 1GBPS UNLIMITED CONNECTION FOR $37

You can not even make a calculation, I won't write a post your topics again.

Up your budget to $500 and you can still grab FDC's offer before it expires end of this month; it pretty much fits your description.

10Gbit is completely possible on a single dedicated server. It's just pricey. And FDC's offer is 10Gbit shared bandwidth. You can expect to push 2-3Gbit in a month. They claim that themselves. And in my opinion, 2-3Gbit is more than adequate bandwidth for even some of the most 'active' uploaders.

do you even think before trying to tell someone off ?

I KNOW it's shared
anyone on the server can tell at a glance how many accounts are currently sold
just be looking at the number of HD setup
the $37 one has 3 HD plus the C
now I realize they are not real disks just chunks of them partitioned off
but that's still just 3 paying costumers
so how hard is it to calculate how much $ they have coming in ?

the $57 ones owner TOLD me he was limiting it to 5 costumers
so how hard is that to calculate ?

iv had accounts on 5-6 dif RDP servers and it's always the same
a bunch of HD listed with user names (tell at a glance how many people are paying to be on that server)

I didn't just think hey they're selling it to me for $37 I can buy direct for $20
I figured there selling it for $37 to 3 people (probably hoping to sell to 10)
so $370 minus some profit for them should be buy/detectible for $200-250
throw in some improvements and $400 should get me a good system

and reenforcing that thought was the other server at $57 with the guy limiting his income to just $285
should I think he plans to turn a profit ?
he has a 4 core 3200 with 2 3TB disks 32GB of ram and an unlimited 1Gbps port
if he can rent it out for $285 then he must be paying less or why would he bother

Up your budget to $500 and you can still grab FDC's offer before it expires end of this month; it pretty much fits your description.

10Gbit is completely possible on a single dedicated server. It's just pricey. And FDC's offer is 10Gbit shared bandwidth. You can expect to push 2-3Gbit in a month. They claim that themselves. And in my opinion, 2-3Gbit is more than adequate bandwidth for even some of the most 'active' uploaders.

Possible, but useless.Who wants to 1gb/s uploading speed ? I mean, what kind of people is he ?

Both we know that he is a troll :sun:

Uploading with a 10gbit server (7/24) is spamming, and filehosts terminate this kind of accounts.:sun:

I was considering that
though I didn't realize it ended the end of this month
I need to get out to town and put some $ in the bank before I could do that though
and when I went looking at there packages (nicely build-able) but the bandwidth was allays stuck on at the bottom and really expansive
I was up 6-800$ by the time I was done hehehe
makes me a bit untrusting of a $500 offer
well I got to get ready for work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back