Should Nokia finally start making Android smartphones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froomple

I was reading this article on thinkdigit, thought i would ask you folks about your opinions on this, as i feel the author has a very valid point to make.

JunXTex.jpg

Nokia has been one of the pioneers in the mobile phone industry for years, but ever-since Android Operating System came into picture, their sales has been dropping down hill and never had a chance to recover.

Arguably, Nokia definitely has the best handsets in terms of quality and durability, but the company has preferred to stick with Windows mobile phones for over 3 years now. Windows Mobile hasn't garnered much attention as Android or iOS did., so it pretty much pointless to stick with Windows phones alone.

I strongly believe that Nokia should finally start making Android powered smartphones, with the same "Nokia" quality.
I will definitely switch to Nokia, if it brings out Android smartphones.
What's your take on this?

37 comments
definitely not, its impossible to beat samsung in terms of hardware specs

samsung builds all their components & can sell them cheaply, look whats happening to htc ? they cant profit off android even with good hardware

samsung sells all kinda shit & selling phones helps build brand value, i doubt they make a lot of profit selling their phones

also android is bloated, i wouldn't touch it

i think Nokia should try to have couple of handsets running on Android. in my opinion there are people out there who are willing to return to Nokia if they are running on Android OS. Nokia are known for being the best cameraphone thats why there are some people sticking with them. imagine best camera phone + Android OS.

I dont really think there's even the slightest chance of them making an android device.

At best what they can do is to develop an entirely new os and make something unique to lure the customers to them. It'll take time, but atleast they can hope for the best. Else, try out the Ubuntu OS, which looked promising.

samsung builds all their components & can sell them cheaply, look whats happening to htc ? they cant profit off android even with good hardware

samsung sells all kinda shit & selling phones helps build brand value, i doubt they make a lot of profit selling their phones

HTC did a pretty good job with HTC One, and their forthcoming Butterfly S is looking promising as well. What they really lack is marketing skills, with Samsung you can find it in abundance!

Btw, is there any history behind Nokia not implementing Android in their smartphones till date?

No,actually,their Lumia(s) are the best WP in the market,It's just that WP8 is new and less users are interested in buying it since most of them already purchased a good specs Android within 3-6 months and not everyone thinks of buying a phone,another contract or without even a contract unlocked phones like that cost $350+ at least,the other thing is People love Android,well you know why,Metro UI isn't liked by many.If Nokia starts there Android series,yes they would be better than other Android(as of there battery performance,quality),most of the Quad Core android even lags a lot,and Nokia can't just produce with good specs.That's why they aren't going with Android,I guess.

I think nokia should come and use android, there are many advantages for them too. Personally i like Nokia very much they have good quality hardware, software was good to a few years back. Their phone i dont know if u all remember 1100 is the best till now nothing can break it :P ya they should come to android

Firstly android is open source so they have to spend less money on software licensing which can be used for hardware upgrades to the phone

so i'd prefer Nokia+Android

Dude nokia isnt born now it has been there around for many years, they do not have problem with research. They can do as much as samsung & much more if they come to android, i dont know whats keeping them back.

i think Nokia should try to have couple of handsets running on Android. in my opinion there are people out there who are willing to return to Nokia if they are running on Android OS. Nokia are known for being the best cameraphone thats why there are some people sticking with them. imagine best camera phone + Android OS.

dude first id like to say respect, same thing for me ill switch if they come to android. But when it comes to cell phone cameras the best cam is sony only. Even apple uses sony cameras :P

I can understand your point. But the debate is all about Nokia making Android phones.
It is definitely a possibility, taking into consideration the current status of Nokia's market share. They're clearly falling apart.
Moving to Android would be the best option to bring their market back.

Samsung has obviously reached greater heights, but they're still on Fabric/Plastic based phones, while Nokia can make better one's.
And ofcourse, they can't beat Samsung out of the box, it'll take time.
But eventually, Nokia can beat everyone. Thanks to their premium quality and hardware. (Provided, they start making Android smartphones)

I dont really think there's even the slightest chance of them making an android device.

At best what they can do is to develop an entirely new os and make something unique to lure the customers to them. It'll take time, but atleast they can hope for the best. Else, try out the Ubuntu OS, which looked promising.

HTC did a pretty good job with HTC One, and their forthcoming Butterfly S is looking promising as well. What they really lack is marketing skills, with Samsung you can find it in abundance!

Btw, is there any history behind Nokia not implementing Android in their smartphones till date?

Again, if they want to survive, they'll have to make an option.
Creating a new OS will definitely not be the best option., everyone is busy making their own OS in the market which has tough competition from all ends.

I haven't looked for the history behind their denial of using Android., should probably look into that now. :-=

Samsung has gathered almost 90% of the Android Market now. Sony and hTC produces android phones with better features and better looks than Samsung but why did they not succeed? So what guarantee has Nokia to succeed if they switch to Android? :-?

It's not really about switching but about subsidy which triggers a wider distribution that makes Apple and Samsung successful due to their deep cash pockets which unfortunately Nokia can't do.

Nokia may not succeed using Android, it may not even compare to Samsung's Galaxy series or the Nexus series but their Hardware and Camera(Pureview) is the selling point.

But Hell Yeaah Nobody can judge or predict whether the product will succeed or not. Nobody knew that samsung will bring revolution with android and beat every phones including nokia today.

Nokia has a Top edge hardware and thats a plus point. So for Nokia with Android OS. Its 50/50. ;)

Nokia should come out with a competitive OS, Android is not the ultimate OS as it has too many flaws too.
The ever increasing requirements suggest the same thing .., why would a phone need specifications at par to a desktop computer ?
Android has provided a great platform but it needs to be optimized and some innovation.

If Nokia ever goes with Android they should use the existing Android stack but make changes to the core to make it much more better, thats the beauty of Open Source software.

Android (Google) has taught something to us .., that if it's a brilliant Innovation nothing can beat it. Android was an amazing innovation and captured the market from "Apple" which was considered once an unbeatable player in Smartphone market. Then why can't a new OS come and become the new leader in Mobile OS market.

Last edited:
No, they should stay with windows. So, we can have more choices to choose from. In few years Windows will have enough apps. They have waited this long I am sure they can wait few more years.

No,actually,their Lumia(s) are the best WP in the market,It's just that WP8 is new and less users are interested in buying it since most of them already purchased a good specs Android within 3-6 months and not everyone thinks of buying a phone,another contract or without even a contract unlocked phones like that cost $350+ at least,the other thing is People love Android,well you know why,Metro UI isn't liked by many.If Nokia starts there Android series,yes they would be better than other Android(as of there battery performance,quality),most of the Quad Core android even lags a lot,and Nokia can't just produce with good specs.That's why they aren't going with Android,I guess.

Yes, Lumia is the best WP in the market, but not the best smartphone in the market. And thats the problem. They are always a league below Android/iOS.

I think nokia should come and use android, there are many advantages for them too. Personally i like Nokia very much they have good quality hardware, software was good to a few years back. Their phone i dont know if u all remember 1100 is the best till now nothing can break it :P ya they should come to android

dude first id like to say respect, same thing for me ill switch if they come to android. But when it comes to cell phone cameras the best cam is sony only. Even apple uses sony cameras :P

First off, we all remember 1100 :p

Secondly, I disagree that Sony has got the best camera out there. They do provide the lenses for iPhone and Samsung (correct me if I am wrong), but its the software tweaks that makes iPhone & Samsung phones better than Sony.

Again, if they want to survive, they'll have to make an option.
Creating a new OS will definitely not be the best option., everyone is busy making their own OS in the market which has tough competition from all ends.

I haven't looked for the history behind their denial of using Android., should probably look into that now. :-=

I know, its never gonna be easy to create a new OS, but the thing is, I'm clueless on why they didnt implement Android as yet even after Android being a big success for many years now! So, they are clearly disinterested with Android, Windows is not working for them either, so they are left with no choice whatsoever!

Let me know if you fumble upon their "history" :-=

Nokia should stay with Windows only, we see lot of apps coming for windows os. MS is focusing more on the mobile and they knew that mobile is going to rule the future.

Nokia should come out with a competitive OS, Android is not the ultimate OS as it has too many flaws too.
The ever increasing requirements suggest the same thing .., why would a phone need specifications at par to a desktop computer ?
Android has provided a great platform but it needs to be optimized and some innovation.

If Nokia ever goes with Android they should use the existing Android stack but make changes to the core to make it much more better, thats the beauty of Open Source software.

Android (Google) has taught something to us .., that if it's a brilliant Innovation nothing can beat it. Android was an amazing innovation and captured the market from "Apple" which was considered once an unbeatable player in Smartphone market. Then why can't a new OS come and become the new leader in Mobile OS market.

Ya man, they have come a long way from the start. If someone can do it Nokia surely can do it, they have done much of the not so special symbian and asha OS. If they can optimize android to its perfection and in the process bring more features that will be great.

No, they should stay with windows. So, we can have more choices to choose from. In few years Windows will have enough apps. They have waited this long I am sure they can wait few more years.

Sry man i dont agree with you if windows is going anywhere its going down and going down very fast, with the introduction of windows 8 many users have been disappointed and a news has been released saying that the support for mobile devices will stop from june of next year. Its an official announcement from Microsoft, so i suggest nokia can move to android if they want to move up again in their ranking. Surely many will switch to nokia if it changed to android

nokia can't use android becuase of damn contract with microsoft , if they build nothing will compete with them in term of durability and cheapness.. , Huawei is new company of china using android as os now they are also competing with samsung and HTC , android OS can make difference in term of company success , success lie in popularity of Android OS and in developers.

lets make example os windows xx OS why people prefer because of its popularity and plenty of developers. popularity can be judge buy even in first grade of study of computer book encourage us to use widows OS , thats why windows is popular , same is the case with Android . plenty of game , apps of every aspect of life will be found on play google , then why not we prefer it ?

[SLIDE]http://cdn.wpcentral.com/sites/wpcentral.com/files/styles/large/public/field/image/2013/06/Switch_from_Android.jpg?itok=CJxONy66[/SLIDE]

Edit: They won't make Android phones as there getting payed by Windows ;)
When new operating system comes in, it's a slow climb but if they switch now, all the hard work they did will be wasted.

Last edited:
They should make both, it'd be better for their marketing if they can offer the users whichever they want. Windows is still new and it still has a chance to bust. I wouldn't focus my entire development on one operating system.

Nokia = Quality & Android = No Quality. Therefore, No Match [hmmm]
They should stick to Windows Phone only. As it has More Quality than a Android.
Android feels different on different phones + Quality Apps (Negligible) :|

Windows Phone Apps are Pretty GOOD. What's the point of Number of Apps, when you can't even use only a Few. LOL :-=

And for Android, Nokia will have to spend more money on R&D. They will go bankrupt due to that, probably. lol
Well, If they can do that. Then it is a Gold Mine ahead of the dark tunnel for Nokia.

Nokia wouldn't just break the contract with Microsoft,with Symbian also dead,and not leading Meego forward,which is quite good,their hope is WP,and If they start Android as well,the users won't be happy as such,"NEW" things are always likes,with 'new" I mean new OS like WP8,If they start Android,they would probably have to tweak batteries for their usage,ofc they can't possibly put a good camera in it,or good speakers(which most don't care),good built quality,etc. their phones won't sell,ofc many fans are waiting them to make Android,it would kick the sales but they wouldn't make it cheap,probably $800+ for all those qualities,just see how the avg. price of 808 was,which infact was Symbian with no good quality and a bad design,Nokia isn't that BIG company which could afford the development of this,just see how BlackBerry had $84M loss this time,their BB 0S 10 was good,like WP+ANDROID+MEEGO, but with that huge price cap. there weren't that much sales,that's the main reason,R&D factor,and partnership as well.

Nokia = Quality & Android = No Quality. Therefore, No Match [hmmm]
They should stick to Windows Phone only. As it has More Quality than a Android.
Android feels different on different phones + Quality Apps (Negligible) :|

Windows Phone Apps are Pretty GOOD. What's the point of Number of Apps, when you can't even use only a Few. LOL :-=

And for Android, Nokia will have to spend more money on R&D. They will go bankrupt due to that, probably. lol
Well, If they can do that. Then it is a Gold Mine ahead of the dark tunnel for Nokia.

Windows apps are quality, this is the funniest thing i ever heard this year dude dream on. Windows phone apps are stupid and worthless, they arent easy to make too thats y there isnt any app on windows store and there is not much support from windows on this side too. But android supports developers thats y there are lots of apps in android market i accept some are pos but most of them are good and serve my purpose unlike windows. I admit nokia is quality then by the standards windows mobile is shit, android is more stable and much much much more useful than that of windows. So Nokia+Android=Best

Nokia wouldn't just break the contract with Microsoft,with Symbian also dead,and not leading Meego forward,which is quite good,their hope is WP,and If they start Android as well,the users won't be happy as such,"NEW" things are always likes,with 'new" I mean new OS like WP8,If they start Android,they would probably have to tweak batteries for their usage,ofc they can't possibly put a good camera in it,or good speakers(which most don't care),good built quality,etc. their phones won't sell,ofc many fans are waiting them to make Android,it would kick the sales but they wouldn't make it cheap,probably $800+ for all those qualities,just see how the avg. price of 808 was,which infact was Symbian with no good quality and a bad design,Nokia isn't that BIG company which could afford the development of this,just see how BlackBerry had $84M loss this time,their BB 0S 10 was good,like WP+ANDROID+MEEGO, but with that huge price cap. there weren't that much sales,that's the main reason,R&D factor,and partnership as well.

Your very wrong dude the amount they are spending to get lisenced from windows can definitely be enough to research on android, symbian is going down i admit is windows is going down deeper, they revoked their support for mobile os starting from next year knowing this so if nokia stays with windows its the end for them. since android is open source its easier to make developements, and if you are a developer you would know that developing apps and the os itself is easier incase of android where as its is hell in the case of windows, customizing android is a piece of cake even a child can do it easily so it wont be a problem.

I am a android app developer (hobby) beleive me, i have tried windows but it just irritated me

[SLIDE]http://cdn.wpcentral.com/sites/wpcentral.com/files/styles/large/public/field/image/2013/06/Switch_from_Android.jpg?itok=CJxONy66[/SLIDE]

Edit: They won't make Android phones as there getting payed by Windows ;)
When new operating system comes in, it's a slow climb but if they switch now, all the hard work they did will be wasted.

dude i dont know where you took those stats from but they are so wrong, microsoft always has the habit of showing false stats. This is proven in the past. Android hols most of the shares when it comes to smartphones and its only going to increase not decrease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back