Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of stuff here you need to keep in mind.

1) Having a 1gigE port is not the solution. If the DDoS is killing your current server, it won't take much to fuck the 1gigE port either. You need real DDoS protection and mitigation.

2) Before I tell you about DDoS protection; yes and no, your KVM may or may not help. Depending on the DDoS, your server may or may not be reachable at all (via KVM or otherwise).

3) Real DDoS protection is not cheap. It's quite expensive. The offer posted by the now banned ProMovies was real. Here's a few places I know that offer real/solid DDoS protection:
http://www.blacklotus.net/
http://dragonara.net/dedicated-servers.html
http://www.serverorigin.com/ (this one I tried personally, quite effective but expensive too)

LT & Sunhank008
Thank you for your very informative and valuable contributions.

I am planning on still using a reverse proxy, since that leaves me with room to have my www/data safe incase of a attack, I get emails from mysql and notify users even with a downed site, or bring it up elsewhere if needed.

So, Will a smaller server.. say a Dual Core/ Core2Duo be sufficient?

reason why i suggested that company is because
of their 2Gbit connection & Their Firewall + they take care of DDOS attacks

Lmfao, 2gbit takes care of a ddos? Are you kidding me? I can push this power with 2 servers allready. A serious ddos (not some kid) will be at least 11 to 15 gbit. Ive seen alot bigger networks on the web. We've been attacked once by a guy with 2500+ server-class bots means all 100mbit and 1gbit.

Try following.

1) Get a 1gbps port
2) let nginx run on some good quadcore with enough ram
3) install a hardware firewall that gives throughput of 500mbps+

check if the attack is incoming flood with 100mbps+ b/w, then above steps can be good for u.if its like 2,3,..... gbits attack, u need a real ddos protection service as mentioned by others. but it gonna cost around 1500-3000$ for higher b/w attacks

Based on your facts, it seems like you are getting get/post flood. Before buying any reverse proxy protection, ask them do they provide you protection against the get/post flood.

Last edited:
bhan, the server under attack is a nginx rev. pxy
please check this :-

Code:
http://blog.litespeedtech.com/2011/01/05/litespeed-beats-nginx-apache-over-ddos-attack/

just get a free 2 cpu license which is valid for 14 days and have a try , if attack eases a bit you can try multi core license:)

well

well in my opinion n my experience says... no1 ddos servers for no reason.. and some times what eva server u buy u get ddos.. all depends on packet power.. so better not to mess wid such people. try to settle down things. and stay away from them. and keep doing gud work..

Hi,

hello,

For the last two days, a jealous Indian fuck has been DDoSing (Yes DDoS as in botnet) couple of the top streaming sites on every major event.

I need some help choosing a new host, taking into consideration my previous configuration how things are setup and how they failed.

Server A - Back-End DB+WWW
Server B - Front-End to a Rev. Pxy

Server A, No attacks, safe.

Server B, Cisco 5505 HW Firewall on a Dual Core server that is barely using 70MB/4GB RAM and it was able to handle upto 2500 members at a time.(Legit req)

After saturday's attack, I moved to cloudflare, didn't help either.
The server got hit bad, not accessible the server company is fucking me over now.

First they told me Firewall will handle it all, I paid 185 euro for it. (Setup + Month)

Now they're telling me to get a better server, this can't handle it, but they won't acknowledge those fucks don't know how to configure a firewall!

-----------

I need a new host now. I have been told having a 1Gbps port will be more helpful during an attack? Offshore would still be preferred.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

EG

Just a quick note that CloudFlare isn't a full DDoS solution (we can only help mitigate attacks, and your attack sounds fairly large).

One thing you could do, however, is ban IPs in your threat control panel and/or block by country. If you block by country if the attack is largely coming from one area, all visitors from that region would get a challenge page & this could reduce some of that load (wouldn't hit your server w/o passing a captcha).

Good luck working with your host to stop the attack.

@groogz: You need to now one thing about me, I AM NOT A PUSSY! You Hit me, I hit you back in my own way!

@damoncloudflare: Do you mean an IP/country in the block list have to pass a captcha?
or just passed over?

@evilgenius btw i didnt hit u.. and 2ndly pls behave like an adult if ur not then pretend to be the one.. ok!! m just tryin to tell u what actualy happens mostly...
jst go to ur cpanel look at ips.... and u can trace the attackers ips and botnets or if u knw the person pm me his details..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back