Romanian ISP to roll out $18 a Month Gigabit Fiber

Status
Not open for further replies.

lache

Not only are people in Kansas City lit up, folks in Austin will finally receive some actual competition, and Provo is about to flip the switch, but where else in the world will people get amazing fiber-optic-to-the-home internet connections?
Romania.
Romanian ISP RCS & RDS is rolling out new fiber and upgrading their backhaul. Not only will their customers have 500Mbps and 1Gbps tiers, the top service will only cost the equivalent of $18 a month. Yup. 1000Mbps data will cost less than one Andrew Jackson a month. Yikes… Kinda kicks that TWC “50 megs innernet” right in the junk…

RDS-RCS website: Internet prin fibra optica Fiberlink

Price list:
Fiberlink 50 = 9 USD / 6.5 EURO
Fiberlink 100 = 12 USD / 9 EURO
Fiberlink 500 = 15 USD / 11 EURO
Fiberlink 1000 = 18 USD / 13.5 EURO

Speedtest 500: http://www.speedtest.net/result/3074148046.png
Speedtest 1000: Test viteza de internet de pana la 1 Gbps la RCS&RDS - YouTube

Last edited:
78 comments
930mb down and 106mb up that upload is kinda slow for fiber. On Another forum I am a member of dude posted his Google fiber speed he lives in Kansas City now this is what fiber should be I would love to have that speed over kill really since most sites have capped speeds

Not a big deal as upload speed is slow and the speed test is done against Romanian server. test the speeds to other countries and you will notice the diff.

I'm surprised they only have a 30Mbps upload, its a horrible ratio.

I don't see 30mbit anywhere... it's over 100mbit. Why surprised? They were under dictatorship just a few years ago (Nicolae Ceaușescu). I am surprised how advanced they are.
Hey, i am romanian guy, and advanced in what? It's sucks like hell... After the fall of our dictator appears a lot of thiefs(gipsies and romanians) and they stole all and the americans, germans and guys from other countries bought a lot of factories and distroied to buy stuff from they and from fucking china with their fucked quality.Maybe in 1-2 years i will leave my country because i don't want to become a thief and to steal from my country or from other one. All of you probably have a good life with 1000$ per month, no stress, fallen in love,kids,etc.. I hope at least you guys to be fine and to be good heart. And thank you @cvrle77 , for making this forum, just here i see the people which doesn't looking at you from what country you come and doesn't looking to trick you. Good job!

EDIT: I forgotten to say, this company was on news because they didn't pay the VAT and other fees. Be careful please i don't want to enter in a shit because our country... :(

Last edited:
I'm surprised they only have a 30Mbps upload, its a horrible ratio.

I don't see 30mbit anywhere... it's over 100mbit. Why surprised? They were under dictatorship just a few years ago (Nicolae Ceaușescu). I am surprised how advanced they are.

Its 100Mbps on Romanian based servers and 30Mbps on outside servers. Im surpised because I thought they would at least have a better ratio on the 1,000Mbps line like 100Mbps to outside servers at least.

Last edited:
Hey, i am romanian guy, and advanced in what? It's sucks like hell... After the fall of our dictator appears a lot of thiefs(gipsies and romanians) and they stole all and the americans, germans and guys from other countries bought a lot of factories and distroied to buy stuff from they and from fucking china with their fucked quality.Maybe in 1-2 years i will leave my country because i don't want to become a thief and to steal from my country or from other one. All of you probably have a good life with 1000$ per month, no stress, fallen in love,kids,etc.. I hope at least you guys to be fine and to be good heart. And thank you @cvrle77 , for making this forum, just here i see the people which doesn't looking at you from what country you come and doesn't looking to trick you. Good job!

EDIT: I forgotten to say, this company was on news because they didn't pay the VAT and other fees. Be careful please i don't want to enter in a shit because our country... :(

Romania is a great country, you just don't have any skills or the desire to learn a skill so you complain and want to have things handed to you.

Are you joking? The average salary is 150$ , what the fuck you can do with 150$? And in other countries 800-1000$ ... Come here and live for 1-2 months and see how you can survive.

Are you joking? The average salary is 150$ , what the fuck you can do with 150$? And in other countries 800-1000$ ... Come here and live for 1-2 months and see how you can survive.

The average salary is around $650 a month in Romania not $150, $150 would be under the minimum salary of around $243/month.

I don't see why your complaining so much about average salaries, you have a computer and internet access you have the ability to learn a skill that can make you money no matter where in world you live.

The average salary is around $650 a month in Romania not $150, $150 would be under the minimum salary of around $243/month.

I don't see why your complaining so much about average salaries, you have a computer and internet access you have the ability to learn a skill that can make you money no matter where in world you live.
$650 in your dream or just in Bucuresti, in north of country is around of $250, so please speak for yourself not for rest of people.
But do not turn this topic into an SPAM by politic, money and other shits, living here in Romania and is a beautiful country with some dark side but every country have this parts.

So I like RDS because them start the new age into home network connection and soon other ISP will follow them
to have no losses of customers, and after my prediction in 3 years 90% of Romanian ISP will have gigabit connection plans in portofolio.

My home network connection is 55Mbps UP/DL and I hope asap my provider to make some upgrades for gigabit.

Well, you are light years ahead in internet speed and price from my country, for example. I live in Romania's neighborhood, right next to it. I know it sux, but with that internet speed....that's something.

Seems you don't know how 'average' is calculated in reality. Trust me, it's nowhere near 650$ a month. 50-60% of people are working on black market, for $100-$150, lucky ones for $200 even, just to have a job, 10-15% are working for $250 range, 10% between $400-$700, rest is above this sum and usually those are corporate directors, CEOs and politicians. That's how you get statistics to show $650 average, even though half of the country works on black market for less than minimum wage. In statistics, they don't exist, and are not counted.

With 5 years of experience you can make about 1500 euro a month and with around 8 years you can make 2,000 euro a month working in software related fields.

With 5 years of experience you can make about 1500 euro a month and with around 8 years you can make 2,000 euro a month working in software related fields.

and who the f.ck will feed you?
you can't eat software for dinner....

Well you would start at around 450 euros/month and then as you get more experienced you will be able to get a higher salary.

@vlkhtr007, in what the world are you living? really.... You said just the time, ohh it's easy like breathing. You need not just time, you need patience, hard training, experience, somewhere to practice your skills and improuve them. If it were so easy i could be the best coder in the world or in 2-3th place. You talk without to thinking. If you don't know please don't speak. And if is so easy for you, what do you work now? are you the best coder and you working for google or adobe?

@vlkhtr007, in what the world are you living? really.... You said just the time, ohh it's easy like breathing. You need not just time, you need patience, hard training, experience, somewhere to practice your skills and improuve them. If it were so easy i could be the best coder in the world or in 2-3th place. You talk without to thinking. If you don't know please don't speak. And if is so easy for you, what do you work now? are you the best coder and you working for google or adobe?

i have read alot of articles about Romania post-dictatorship stat and what Emilascovici says is mostly true. Net is fast there, but Net price/income ratio is damn bad !!! incomes are really low, the unemployment has been sky high for years. Maffia rampage is everywhere which deal with human Trafficing , the Gov's political corruption in Romania has been well known throughout the world and many other things went really to hell after dictatorship fall ! their economy pretty much fell apart as well !

Cheap internet wont make a country paradise !

Last edited:

I know people from Balcan have hard temper, but this is just a forum and discussion, no need to put so much emotions. At the end of the day, whatever others have to say on subject of Romania, that won't change reality, therefore, there's no need to argue about that matter at all.

But think of this. For 18$ a month on 1 gig fiber line, you could open simple hosting in your own house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back