Status
Not open for further replies.

Siruthuli

hi,

I see it nowadays, that it is more common for people to be "scammed" with hosts.

Can we prevent any of this by somehow working out a good plan to solve this.
There must be a way.

It really is hard for new webmasters to find a decent host, which they know will not die next month.
I think at wj we must make that easy.

So if anyone can think of a good idea to overcome this, it will be awesome for everyone :)

thanks

edit: as so many people even little kids are making hosts, but we can't see how it all comes out, for that only I requested this thread

72 comments
How about a rule which allow hosts that are in business for 2+ years to sell on WJunction?

This is discussion only, we will come to conclusions in the staff section but we do consider our members opinions when discussing and/or adding/removing rules. :)

@Hawk, By what you just said does that mean all Hosts who have already got threads and have only been hosting less than 2 years will be removed OR is it to prevent new Hosts from making threads

I think an age check would be nice (like ID check), if someone's only fifteen I probably wouldn't want to buy servers with them, as there is a huge lack of stable income for server expenses (unless they just resell).

@Hawk, By what you just said does that mean all Hosts who have already got threads and have only been hosting less than 2 years will be removed OR is it to prevent new Hosts from making threads

We would apply it to all hosts that post after the date the rule is introduced. For the hosts that are exempt from the rule, maybe as CameronS stated, an age check? Showing passport details maybe, drivings license etc? Obviously, all that information would be held confidentially. Most companies usually publicise their registered business address (if they're registered within the UK/Wales).

Doing that would be stupid, People here aren't going to upload their personal details to random people over the internet.

We would be uploading our details to one of you. We don't know you, we have never met you. You could be capable of anything.

There's other ways of posting proof like that and that's through mail. All you need is a confirmation letter and they can upload that.

All fairness I'm 33, I have enough money coming in to support DragonHost itself. on the other hand you need to make sure every hoster is over the age of 22+. This is because of the lack of jobs in the UK.

It sounds stupid but being 16 or 18 makes not difference because you have the same job opportunities at that age. Most hosters on here are probably claiming JSA.

so what if other boards do that, WJunction is not that other board.

It's up to the members of WJunction to know what their doing when it comes to picking a provider for their website.

That's a good idea Hawk, but then again.. if one can buy a 2+ year old domain for hosting and put a hosting business up.. they can still scam people.

Some sort of vertification, but I don't know what..

Maybe 2 year + or legally registered? Then again I worked for a registered company that is now going down, but it's still an option

8-) undefined....

your idea will b helpful for users...old n big companies can restart their function whether new ones mostly vanished !!

You have to cover yourself. You can't expect the forum to police the number of hosts posted here and their recent records and activities. I guess you can expect it but it isn't a reasonable expectation.

Maybe 2 year + or legally registered? Then again I worked for a registered company that is now going down, but it's still an option

Legally registered is a very bad idea.
First of all the last 2 big scams (RapidSpeeds & BoxSlots) were both legally registered.
Then you could just as well remove the hosting section. For example there's not a single RDP provider on Wjunction that is legally registered.

i think you should ask for their identity card's scanned copy so that in case they scam some one you can put that in public
and i guess this can be implemented too as the scanned copy can be crossed out so that it can not be misused

The copied idea is a good idea to avoid scammers returning.
The publicly posting? Coming dude, gtfo to a shithole in Russia if you want to work that way.

@Hawk, Blocking new company's is not a good idea. If thats the plan, then It gonna be just like SOPA invented by WJ :)

Instead of that make a rule thread for buyers mentioning about precautions and importance of local backups or atleast uploading backups to their file-hosting accounts.

You clearly know, why people search for hosts on WJ. Mainly they need cheap offers + huge disk + huge bandwidth + linking to filehost contents. And none of them interested in giving ID proofs. If you go to buy from a very big company, they will ask IDs, and price will be high. For getting something everyone needs to adjust something.
Its always better to renew monthly rather than paying quarterly or annually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back