Ask Smith! (Fitness, Bodybuilding)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smith

Some of you know that I'm into bodybuilding and fitness. Over years I was training, learning about nutrition, tried everything so therefore I do have answers on most your questions. (when I say years, I don't mean 2,3)

Be real, everyone want to look good! Looking good makes you feel good and everything else comes along the way.

If it's to get girls, get into modeling, or to simply look and feel good.

I'm also doing training 1 on 1. Been doing for few months and it works for me, works for my clients even better. All you need is a goal, I will provide everything else and coach you in detail. I don't work on hour rates like most people, instead it's pay per week (so you won't spend ton of money).

So if you're interested contact me, you will not regret it.

/advertising off

Okay so what is this thread about?
It's simple, if you have any fitness/bodybuilding questions post them here and I, with help of some other people (if any) will help you.

I'm going to give you information first hand based on my experience.

And please be polite, do not spam and do not post 10 questions at same time and make sure you read Q&A first, because maybe I already answered your question.

If I helped you, as simple thanks you could add to my reputation. Thank you!

Q&A

Q: Are supplements safe to use?
A:
Yes, all supplements such as protein powder, creatine, BCAA, weight gainers, protein bars, multivitamins etc. are 100% safe to use because they are nothing but a meal replacements. Now it may sound strange but if you are 250 pounds guy, there is absolutely no way you could eat so much meals every day to feed body enough, that's where supplements jump in. They are easy to mix with water or milk (depends on supplement) and very fast to digest. But you should never focus on supplements only because diet is much, much more important. They come in pills and powders.

Q: Why my muscles hurt so much next day?
A: When you do any type of running, weight lifting etc. your muscles take all the load and they get damaged. Now, if body didn't used to such amount of pressure "beating" it will result in DOMS a.k.a Delayed onset muscle soreness. Means your muscles are damaged and they need to be repaired. How does that work? Well it's simple, by resting and eating (giving your body important nutriens to repair muscle) your muscles will be repaired and get bigger.

Q: How can I get rid of the fat around stomach area?
A: You don't. It's that simple. Most people will start doing thousands and thousands of ab crunches every day hoping it will melt down their waist but it doesn't work like that. Your body decides where does fat comes off first. And it's usually your arms, shoulders, chest, back and then stomach area and legs come into the place. You cannot burn fat off a specific region so doing thousand ab workouts will get your abs bigger but because of a high body fat, they still won't be visible.

Q: Is it possible to get huge, lean muscular body without taking steroids?
A: Depends, how huge do you wanna get? But it is possible. You have to realize that genetics do play fair part in muscle building. But, with hard work and dedication, you can achieve any goal(s). You have to understand that those bodies you see on TV were not born, they were made in the gym. So yes, you will have to follow diet programs, follow workout programs, even if you slack here and there, you can still achieve great results.

Q: I'm stuck, I don't have gym in here, what should I do?
A: Okay so home training might not be as productive as in the gym but you can still train. Improvise, that's the first advice. That's what I did when I was a kid. I didn't had dumbbells or barbells because they were expensive, so I improvised. You can pretty much do pushups for chest, squats for legs and chinups for back anywhere.

Q: I want to lose fat, how?

A: Losing fat is slow process so in order for you to star melting down that fat you will have to clean up your diet, speed up your metabolism and do a lot's lots of cardio workouts. Cardio without diet won't get you anywhere and vice versa. To short the story, get rid of cookies, sodas, candies, fast food. Instead start eating some salads, meat, eggs, milk, pasta, potatoes, rice, nuts etc. Also cardio is a must, at least 3 times a week if you're starting but if you are serious, 5-6 times every week is also good. Make sure those meals are small and make sure you eat those small meals every 2-3 hours also water is important factor. So you shouldn't have only 2,3 meals every day, instead it should be at least 4-5 meals. Eat, sleep and train.

Q: I want to gain some weight, how?

A: Gaining just "weight" is rather easier than gaining quality weight - muscle. Calories, calories and more calories. But, I'm not talking about eating 1kg of candies per day. I'm talking about quality calories, coming from meat, eggs, from good carbohydrate sources such as grits, pasta, rice, potatoes. Not much weight lifting is required if you simply want to gain any weight but I strongly recommend it! It's not about gaining muscle and weight only, it's about keep your body healthy, feeling good and so on.

Okay that's it for now, I hope you find this Q&A and this topic in general useful, I want to thank everyone who contributed and hatem for the Q&A idea. 18 long pages.

And remember, you look good, you feel good!

Last edited:
454 comments
I always had this question, why the heck after having a long run or something like that, the next day my muscles hurt a bit?
I understand the whole rebuild fibers thingy, but jesus christ, if I run once a week, I spend like 3 days/week with a strange walk. Every week.

I think is supposed that after the runing my body repairs the damages and make the fibers stronger, but maybe I'm missing some important genes related to this, 'cause there's no evolution on this matter lulz

any clue?

I always had this question, why the heck after having a long run or something like that, the next day my muscles hurt a bit?
I understand the whole rebuild fibers thingy, but jesus christ, if I run once a week, I spend like 3 days/week with a strange walk. Every week.

I think is supposed that after the runing my body repairs the damages and make the fibers stronger, but maybe I'm missing some important genes related to this, 'cause there's no evolution on this matter.

any clue?

Thank you for your question.

When you do any type of running, weight lifting etc. your muscles take all the load and they get damaged. Now, if body didn't used to such amount of "beating" it will result in DOMS aka Delayed onset muscle soreness. Means your muscles are damaged and they need to be repaired.

How does that work? Well it's simple, by resting and eating (giving your body important nutriens to repair muscle) your muscles will be repaired and get bigger.

So lemme put it like this. If you run for 5 kilometers today, get DOMS, rest and repair muscles, then when you try to run 5 kilometers again you might not get DOMS, that's because leg muscles are now stonger and can take much more "beating".

Just make sure you rest enough, drink lot of water and eat right, pain will go away for sure!

I've been eating only once per day for 20 days and lost 4 kilos, all "experts" say it doesn't work and it's not good to eat only once per day.

See I love food, and while I'm not overly obese I just wanna shake off the extra 5-7kg so I decided to eat (as I usually d0, which means a ton) a big lunch and that's it for 24 hours.

I read it all, unhealthy, starvation mode so slower metabolism etc.. it's all crap because it's working.

Just saying, experts don't always know what's best :)

Good to have you here Smith

Just to add: 24h computer/day (with no sport activities whatsoever) so 4kg loss is ONLY because of decreased calorie intake.

Yeah i face that when i work really heavily and lift a lot of weight.

Smith i am thinking to cut my daily calories to 50% maybe 30% to proccess faster the loss of weight i want.With partnership of daily one hour walk/jokking.Will that be bad?I really need to lose fast some weight.

_Like what Paul mentions above^^

Thank.

Yes, I kinda knew why it hurst, but I'm not sure if it's normal to hurt almost every time I get away from the computer :)) - joking, I'm not so nerd.

But this happened not too long ago:

Day one - play soccer all the afternoon
Day two - the DOMS thingy, so I couldnt play anymore
Day three - same
Day four - same
Day five - play soccer all the afternoon
Day six - the DOMS thingy, so I couldnt play anymore
Day seven - same
[...]

Know what I mean? I'm thin, since my 5 y/o or something.

Is there any way of avoiding or decreasing the DOMS time besides stretching and warming up? Or should I keep on with the routine until my body decides my muscles are strong enough to not make me hurt 3 days?

I've been eating only once per day for 20 days and lost 4 kilos, all "experts" say it doesn't work and it's not good to eat only once per day.

See I love food, and while I'm not overly obese I just wanna shake off the extra 5-7kg so I decided to eat (as I usually d0, which means a ton) a big lunch and that's it for 24 hours.

I read it all, unhealthy, starvation mode so slower metabolism etc.. it's all crap because it's working.

Just to add: 24h computer/day (with no sport activities whatsoever) so 4kg loss is ONLY because of decreased calorie intake.

Okay first of all big NO. You need to stop doing that as soon as possible as it's very unhealthy.

1 meal per day is going to slow down your metabolism that's right but it's also going to kill you. Your body is in so called "survival mode" because body cannot absorb all nutrients required for it to function normal from 1 meal only (proteins, carbs, fat, vitamins and so on). In other word your body is eating itself right now (so in the end you didn't loosed 4 kgs of fat, you loosed 4kg of muscle).

Only healthy and real way to burn fat is to do cardio or any type of exercising. You NEED to start doing something. Sitting all day in front of computer can also cause intestine cancer.

What you could do is eat more healthy food, salads and other stuff. Leave pizza and other unhealthy food. Drink a lot of water as it's perfect fat burner.

Everyone have time to do a smaller cardio season, 30 mins of running everyday will help a LOT, you will notice big change right at start.

Please you have to take this seriously, it's for your own good buddy.

Yeah i face that when i work really heavily and lift a lot of weight.

Smith i am thinking to cut my daily calories to 50% maybe 30% to proccess faster the loss of weight i want.With partnership of daily one hour walk/jokking.Will that be bad?I really need to lose fast some weight.

_Like what Paul mentions above^^

Thank you for your question EL-Warez.

You are correct, cutting down the calories/less carbs and cardio will help ton! High protein diets work best, because protein is also very good fat burner just like water.

Cardio seasons every day, cut down unhealthy food = cut down calories and fat and you will get six pack before you even know it.

Thank.

Yes, I kinda knew why it hurst, but I'm not sure if it's normal to hurt almost every time I get away from the computer :)) - joking, I'm not so nerd.

But this happened not too long ago:

Day one - play soccer all the afternoon
Day two - the DOMS thingy, so I couldnt play anymore
Day three - same
Day four - same
Day five - play soccer all the afternoon
Day six - the DOMS thingy, so I couldnt play anymore
Day seven - same
[...]

Know what I mean? I'm thin, since my 5 y/o or something.

Ahhh well here's why, you are overtraining = not enough rest. You just need to rest enough and eat enough mate and DOMS thingy will go away. ;)

Okay, so , uhm, I want to have muscles in my arms. Any in-home exercises for this? I only know pushups but i can only get up to 10 push ups. LoL.. Serious here.

Okay, so , uhm, I want to have muscles in my arms. Any in-home exercises for this? I only know pushups but i can only get up to 10 push ups. LoL.. Serious here.

Well if you want size in general, push ups (arms close to body) will help you most. Push ups are great tricep, shoulder and ofcourse chest muscle builder.

Do 5 sets of 8-14 repetitions every other day, make sure you eat enough meat (protein = muscle) and you will notice difference. (do NOT do pushups everyday, you will simply overtrain and lose more than gain)

I'm going to sleep now guys, leave questions and I'm going to answer them tomorrow. Good night.

i got a quick question

im trying to loose the excess fat from quitting smoking and i am running 6km at 5:30AM before the gym opens what can i do in the gym for 45 mins to burn more calories besides all the normal carido machines e.g (rower- bike) as im sick of them.

Yes Mr smith is right

try to do cardio in the morning on empty stomach it will burn more fat. drink 3 glass of water in the morning and do cardio.

you could try this i have never tried but if you try this remember to drink more than 2l cold water.
and if you cold drink water your metabolism will not stop working.

cold water is the best because your body wastes energy trying to heat up the water and your metabolism never stops working
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LZ3oteEqBQ&feature=channel_video_title

Smith if you think this is wrong please tell me so i don't tell other people thank you

Great thread, Smith! Any advice on a diet for a vegetarian? I don't want huge muscles but I definitely wouldn't mind to get my marked abs back. Thanks.

hey i wanna gain height(primary) and weight(secondary).

recommend me some exercises and food practices.

thanks.

hey i recently joined a gym near my house.I got to admit that they make me practice 2 hours a day,it over 10 days.NO body growth.Can u recommend some food nutrients to me that i should take?
BTW:my body pains a lot because i give it my best but no results...M a vegetarian

Well, I want to tone my arms & make bulgy biceps. For that I've been using dumbbells (4kg each) and doing the dumbbell exercise (the normal one) for days. I do almost 60-80 per day. But still my biceps have not grown.

Oh, my diet is a waste and I'm 100% vegetarian. I eat less but I'm not skinny. I'm 6'3" and weigh 80kg :p so you can imagine I'm healthy lol (not fat)

Just so I wanted to make biceps so that my large chest & tummy will look neutral with my thick arms. As currently my chest & stomach are large :p

EDIT:
I have never been to any gym nor I have consulted any Nutritionist. Just a lay guy :p

hey i recently joined a gym near my house.I got to admit that they make me practice 2 hours a day,it over 10 days.NO body growth.Can u recommend some food nutrients to me that i should take?
BTW:my body pains a lot because i give it my best but no results...M a vegetarian

It take's a while to show gains, 10 days is nothing lol.

Keep at it though, take progress pictures over time for a year you'll notice gains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back