Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Storming

Hi,
Well since there is large quantity VPS providers here, and of course a great community using those services I was curious to know which virtualization technology do you prefer to use? and ultimately WHY?

Once voting, please reply with your thoughts and reasons :)

7 comments
You seem to have forgotten to add the Poll.

Anyways i'd say XEN. More secure, stable and better at isolating resources.

It was added ;)

I do like XEN, although I've used OpenVZ for a number of years now.
Disadvantages to OpenVZ have to be the resource limits, you can oversell your already oversold node which obviously isn't ethical at all.

+ Side to OVZ, its known widely and is light-weight compared to others.

We're looking to introduce the OnApp platform with either XEN/Vmware support which im very eager to start testing out! :D

xen is pretty much the de facto virtualisation platform in the industry, widely accepted as the standard. there's your answer.

on an opinion-level, I like KVM. it uses native full virtualisation, none of the others mentioned do, they're all paravirtualised (or in openvz's case, not even virtualised technically). full virtualisation has larger overhead than paravirtualisation but has the benefit and security of being completely isolated, virtualisation done properly, you could say.

OVZ isn't really virtualisation, it essentially makes jailed linux sub-installations (and hence is fast, but only supports linux as a guest OS).

KVM definitely my choice
once you use it the rest seems inferior although it is a pita atm with most gui control panels from a hosting provider perspective very limited support from solusvm although they are improving. leaves you with virtualizor or promox or using the libvirt cli tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back