• IP.Board

Votes: 30 45.5%
  • vBulletin

Votes: 27 40.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
32 comments
id say vbulletin as its the most powerful but these cheaper versions are good for noobs, but vbulletin offers more

I voted for IP.Board as I have used it for years. I recently tried vbulletin and TBH I'm not that keen on it and thinking of replacing it with XenForo.

XenForo seems to have a lot of potential and I'm interested to have a play around with it.

Xenforo, been using it and it has way more features than vbulletin (which i have used previously). Just the thing is that, their are very few designs.

Played around with vbulletin for about 2 yrs, Learned a lot about it,etc but after vb 3.8.x it went downhill as VB4 sucks IMO. IPB has a lot of out of the box features which vb doesnt, especially their SEO.

Never tried xenforo

IPB is definately better. XenForo is ok but it's still based on a similar framework to vBulletin and this is terrible. I think the developers who used to work for vBulletin based XenForo too much on vB and just added some nice UI and JS effects.

Let's get things straight. Anyone who says vB pwns hasn't a clue what they are on about. It's very poorly coded and as vB3 is at end of line it's now all about vB4. The company is in serious financial trouble and forced to push out updates which haven't being coded or bug tested enough internally due to lack of cash and experienced developers. This means security issues and too many bugs. A typical vB update contains far more bug fixes than anything new features. vBulletin 3 used to be great but it's developers have left and vBulletin 4 just doesn't have the same support that v2 and v3 did. The selection of themes are poor as are some of the mods.

That's not to say XenForo aren't in trouble. They have a legal battle going on with vBulletin due to the way the founders of XenForo left vB. Personally I don't think XenForo will win that court case even if it drags out for a few years with appeals. How will that leave XenForo then? They'll have to close up shop or seriously change it's core framework putting it back years which is as good as it's end.

IPB is doing well. It's embracing social intergration in a big way. They release a large amount of updates but only when they are ready and while they have lots of flashy features and javascript due to the superior framework and the way it's coded it's still far lighter to run resource wise. Problem is out of the box the shere amount of options in the admin area can confuse people. You need to know how to optimize the site through the admin area or you could find the site slow and server heavy if you start gaining large amounts of traffic.

I used to be a big vBulletin fan. I've coded and released lots of mods and plugins for it over the years but it's just dated now. I still don't know IPB as well as I do vB and to be fair XerForo a bit less but from what I do know IPB is far better.

ipb is really nice but as mr happy stated once you getting traffic you have to either put some options off or get a better server.i never really like vb tried it but i find ipb to be better.

XenForo is good, its simular to fb but i like it more than vb.But my choose goes for ipb, since its the most secure bb script i have ever seen.

Lets say if some one did db dump of your forum which forum do you think would when in security there ?? or sql injection wise I think xenforo would win since it's from phpmyadmin you can't even find the password table.. this is from ethical hacking point of view

Lets say if some one did db dump of your forum which forum do you think would when in security there ?? or sql injection wise I think xenforo would win since it's from phpmyadmin you can't even find the password table.. this is from ethical hacking point of view

The passwords table? All passwords are heavily encrypted with salts for all modern forums, not just the three in this thread. Passwords are pointless as they are encrypted. When you dump a modern DB it's the emails and members info that is useful. The username, sex, date of birth, location, timezone, language etc can all be used to help spam and scam. Passwords are of no use at all. In the case of the sony hacking that was a disaster as they stored the passwords unencrypted which is just asking for trouble. It's so stupid it's not worth thinking about. Any self respected site or coder has passwords heavily encrypted so your point is useless in this case.

I used IPB once, might use it again :p. I like all the features and plus now that vB 4 is lame, and the support for vB 3 is dead, there's really nothing else.

Never used XenForo or even heard of it until now so can't comment on that.

As for IPB I have used it but not overly happy with it but that is mostly down to the amount of time I have spent with vBulletin.

I still like vBulletin even if vB3 is at its death bed.

JGM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back