Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyperz

Veteran
A week or 3 ago my new 1TB HDD arrived and so I had to reinstall Windoze. So I thought I'd install Win7 Ultimate to check it out - again >_>. Originally the plan was to reformat after that and fall back to XP since Vista was bloat and junk in its purest form. My previous test install of Win7 (one of the 1st beta's) wasn't much better either. Bad performance, BSOD's and whatnot. I thought of it as Vista #2.

Now since then I switched from dual to quad core and I'd imagine that quite a lot of optimization was done to 7 since the early beta's. Well I have to admit that I have changed my opinion about 7. As it is now it's definitely a worthy replacement for XP and it actually does perform better in some areas (which wasn't the case when I 1st tested it). I guess everyone can change there opinion B-). Just thought I'd share my opinion for the other peeps who don't want to upgrade from XP to 7 for performance reasons like me at 1st.

It's well worth it, especially if you have a triple or quad core cpu because the load balancing of threads and processes across all cores is a good deal better then on XP:

http://www.cubeupload.com/files/517e00untitled5.png
^The same test pretty much crippled XP while all (720p HD) videos keep running smooth on 7.

Erm, dunno, your opinions? :p

23 comments
i agree vista was a fail for a start, and tbh, windows 7 is waaaaay better. I even installed it on my laptop (1.3Ghz single core, 1GB ram) and its faster than XP.

Long and short, though, and MS will grudgingly admit, 7 is what Vista should have been.

I'm so happy I didn't decide to purchase Vista when it came out, I'm on a laptop now that I bought about a month ago with Windows 7 on it, I used to love XP (PC still has it) but compared to 7 its trash.

The only thing that bugs me about 7 is its hard to find things, I'm used to XP's control panel but the control panel on 7 is weird, I'm sure after a while I'll get used to it though. :P

Before windows7 in bad days i installed new os about every day, all kinds of linuxes and windows, now im happy with it :P

I was one of those who always kept to XP, after trying the Vista Beta (Longhorn), it didn't satisfy me and it used a lot of CPU and didn't offer what I wanted it to like XP did, so once Windows 7 was out on Beta I gave it a shot and it was alright, a friend of my offered me a legit key once the final version came out so I was like, why not give it a complete shot and I installed it on my PC, probably the best move I've done for my PC. ;)

It's well worth the price, but in my case it was free. :P

I never understood XP>Vista thing. Apart from all the extra warnings (continue.. would you like to continue.. 24/7), Vista was faster, crashed less, and did I mention it was faster? On 3 PCs, and 2 laptops, all same result. Win7 on the other hand.. I'm starting to dislike it already. Ad aware found 3 trojans installed after having win7 for a week (running ESET), while after 2 years of using vista, I didn't have 1 single virus (except, ofcourse tracking cookies). And it crashes randomly, and sometimes freezes up for 30 seconds for no reason then starts working again.

^
You are running eset and you complain about viruses? LOL
Think about this, is it better for you to not know you have viruses or to be alarmed by Ad-aware and other software?
I would choose the other option ;)

I had both beta and RC, installing full version next month or so

Laptop 1: Vista
Laptop 2: Vista
PC: Windows 7

Windows 7 is much better, and I am going to install Windows 7 on all my laptops.
I'm just too lazy to do it.

It's also much better than XP IMO.
Thanks.

windows 7 worths installin

like u guys i though the same Vista would be a memory hog.

but with 2.8 dual core my system is working amazing, i will never revert back to xp again :P

My main computer: Ubuntu 9.04
My other computer: Windows XP Media Center 2005
My sisters computer: Windows Vista

I use the Ubuntu computer all the time. I rarely use my other computer. I feel bad for my sister that she's stuck with Winblows Visucks

^
You are running eset and you complain about viruses? LOL
Think about this, is it better for you to not know you have viruses or to be alarmed by Ad-aware and other software?
I would choose the other option ;)

I had both beta and RC, installing full version next month or so

Then what do you recommend me? Norton? <_< Eset ftw :))
And I use eset and ad-aware on both. Today got 6 viruses again btw, no idea where they are coming from, but good, nope.

Then what do you recommend me? Norton? <_< Eset ftw :))
And I use eset and ad-aware on both. Today got 6 viruses again btw, no idea where they are coming from, but good, nope.

Yes ESET FTW! If anyone has any viruses and have trouble removing them I'm your guy to ask for help. I trained for malware removal so im here to help ;) Coon if you keep getting viruses its probably due to teh fact that you don't have any third party firewall installed. I recommend Outpost since it has excellent HIPS protection (Host Intrusion Prevention System) If you have a firewall that doesn't have HIPS protection then you don't have a firewall at all. Eset AV + Outpost Firewall= Outstanding Protection, using them myself and I never get any viruses ;)

My two cents.

My previous view on 7 was still valid JmZ as I did a lot of tests back then to. It's only since the final that I can agree with 7 being better <3. I don't hate on something for the sake of hating you know, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back