Votes: 6 13.0%
  • PHPEd

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Zend Studio

Votes: 8 17.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
soft2050: vim has syntax highlighting for the majority of languages, by default. it also has a code suggestion plugin (probably a few actually) and has easy to navigate buffers (similar to tabs, except you navigate through them using your keyboard).

I coded WCDDL3 in it and didn't use my mouse once, lol.

Why? what's the point in an IDE for PHP lol.
I'd rather code every line myself from memory than rely on some app's "code generation" features.

I'm a 100% vim user, no IDE, no fancy GUI text editor, just good old CLI-based vim.
Combined with GNU screen, so I can have a window for my editor, one for running the code and one for a mysql CLI instance if needed.

I can almost guarantee that any editor related feature you pick out of your favourite IDE can be done in vim.

I'd only use an IDE for a compiled language such as java, c, c#, etc. Because then i'd like some way of quickly compiling within the editor (an IDE).

i have used notepad++ from several years for php (and with other SCRIPTING languages), but if you are a visual basic fan you will find it so easier to work with an IDE, you dont have to type a lot of code by hand, you can do inline debugging , what if you have 100s of classes , i would better get help via some auto completion rather then trying to remember all those, there are just a lot of feature to point you better should try few days and you will know how much time it can save.

Eclipse and Notepad++. I like Eclipse because it has extensions for php, python java and c. There might be a better IDE but Eclipse is the first one I've used and don't really have reason to try a different one.

There's really no point in an IDE for PHP.

Better question (which all these people are answering) is: which editor are you using?

vim

Nothing anywhere ever in existence beats vim as an editor, given that you know all the keyboard shortcuts.

I am using PhpStorm at the moment, quite happy with it and the price is right.

Before that I was an advocate of Zend Studio and loved it up till version 5.5.

I didn't like the direction it had taken once it became Eclipse based, so I moved to PhpStorm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back