Which currency do you display by default?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HostHK

If you operate an online store, or sell services online, which currencies do you display by default and why?

I don't mean to say which currencies you accept, but when offering goods/services outside of the US for example, where costs are normally denominated in local currency, would you still list your default currency as USD? What about your own pricing if not in your cost currency?

What do y'all do?

14 comments
It really boils down to which country you would be catering the most. I write articles and usually charge in USD even if the customer is outside of US. Makes sense for me to deal with single currency instead of sitting and converting multiple currencies. I do charge in my local currency if the customer is from my country (offline customer).

As USD of course. As of now, the USA is still the world currency. In time that will change.

As long as present day currency formats are primarily used the USD will remain the standard as the United States far exceeds every other country in the world in regards to innovation, design, and services. It also holds the majority of the world's wealth, for example the top four cities that control the world's wealth are as follows:

1. New York City, New York, United States
  2. London, England, United Kingdom
  3. Shanghai, China
  4. Stamford, Connecticut, united States

China is the only threat to the American dollar but this threat is very limited as China is only good at reproducing American Made designs. China lacks the ability to innovate anything, for instance name one thing that China has invented other than fireworks and Chinese Food. Lack of innovation is likely why China's GDP is less than half of the United States GDP for 2012.

America could easily re-gear itself within two years to use robotic engineering to rival gross domestic exports of Germany and China if the need were to arise (such as if America were to go to war with China). But this isn't likely going to happen as we don't mind paying the Chinese to make our nail clippers, pencils, and other cheap products as we have far greater things to do with our time, resources, and money. Also America has a more powerful Navy, Air Force, and Army than the next 15 powerful militaries of the world, combined; so if China were to go to war with us we'd surely win as our much smaller population collectively is far smarter, faster, stronger then the sum of their people.

The only thing that will replace the USD on the world market is if the USD were to join the EU (not likely at all) and/or a virtual worldwide currency such as BitCoin (cool thought but not likely to happen anytime soon) were to replace all currencies.

Well i use Euro as default
because i have to pay bills of my servers etc in euro,
as you know about currency exchange , its go up and down daily.
its not much effect for small amount, but when its large amount then its effect verry much.

this is the main reason i am using euro , but i also take USD, GPB
because most of users in internet like to pay in UDS :)

As USD of course. As of now, the USA is still the world currency. In time that will change.

As long as present day currency formats are primarily used the USD will remain the standard as the United States far exceeds every other country in the world in regards to innovation, design, and services. It also holds the majority of the world's wealth, for example the top four cities that control the world's wealth are as follows:

1. New York City, New York, United States
  2. London, England, United Kingdom
  3. Shanghai, China
  4. Stamford, Connecticut, united States

China is the only threat to the American dollar but this threat is very limited as China is only good at reproducing American Made designs. China lacks the ability to innovate anything, for instance name one thing that China has invented other than fireworks and Chinese Food. Lack of innovation is likely why China's GDP is less than half of the United States GDP for 2012.

America could easily re-gear itself within two years to use robotic engineering to rival gross domestic exports of Germany and China if the need were to arise (such as if America were to go to war with China). But this isn't likely going to happen as we don't mind paying the Chinese to make our nail clippers, pencils, and other cheap products as we have far greater things to do with our time, resources, and money. Also America has a more powerful Navy, Air Force, and Army than the next 15 powerful militaries of the world, combined; so if China were to go to war with us we'd surely win as our much smaller population collectively is far smarter, faster, stronger then the sum of their people.

The only thing that will replace the USD on the world market is if the USD were to join the EU (not likely at all) and/or a virtual worldwide currency such as BitCoin (cool thought but not likely to happen anytime soon) were to replace all currencies.

1. Yup it depends what suits you best. In fact, you will see that Ryushare prices by Euro. I did not mean any offense when I said that in time it will change. I hope you didn't get the wrong idea.

I very much agree with this post 100%. American technology is unrivaled. Sorry for the off topic, but I sent you a private message. Did you read it?

depending on your most clients.. if your most clients are from US, then you should use USD, if you have most clients in europe, then EUR. you could also use multi-currenty with an automated currency converter auto updated.

We have decided to go with USD as the default display currency. 90% of our expenses are in HKD and the rest basically in USD with only a tiny amount in other currencies. However, charging in USD is not a problem for us given HKD is pegged to the USD.

But we accept EUR, GBP and CNY too, all of which can be selected from the first page to see pricing in preferred currency.

Any way, Eddie Johnson, you seem to have a rather inflated view of the US. Don't get me wrong, the US is indeed a powerful, creative, productive and innovative country, but it is not the only one and plenty of developed nations out there equal, or even surpass the US on those fronts.

Although most well known Chinese inventions/innovations are quite literally ancient, innovation still exist today. You could probably see most of China's innovation in the form of manufacturing techniques and material synthesis. For example, the Bird's Nest stadium built for the Olympics used large amounts of a metal alloy that was 'invented' locally, which was critical in the construction of the whole building. Not that it's a great example.

But I ask you, what major inventions/innovations came out of the US that are well known, world famous and modern.

America could easily re-gear itself within two years to use robotic engineering to rival gross domestic exports of Germany and China if the need were to arise (such as if America were to go to war with China). But this isn't likely going to happen as we don't mind paying the Chinese to make our nail clippers, pencils, and other cheap products as we have far greater things to do with our time

If this were true, then why do they not do it? Probably because it would cost more money than it is worth. The American economy is dependant on cheap Chinese labor.

if China were to go to war with us we'd surely win as our much smaller population collectively is far smarter, faster, stronger then the sum of their people.

You have got to be joking. On what do you base this claim? No doubt there are many smart people in the US, but I hardly believe that the majority are 'smart'. There is little evidence to support such a claim. In any case, a war between USA and China would result in NO winners. Both countries posses sufficient nuclear weapons to wipe out the world many times over.

The USD will be an important currency for many years to come but the Euro and other currencies are quickly taking over the role from the USD as a reserve currency. The Euro is already the 2nd most traded currency, being the 2nd most 'reserved' currency and has the most currency in circulation.

As a whole, the EU is the largest economy, and probably has the most amount of technological innovations of any other comparable economic area. It has a highly skilled and highly educated work force, high wealth and high level of development. It produces huge amount of high tech products and has well developed infrastructure. As a whole, it exceeds the US by about a trillion dollars per year in terms of GDP.

Again, I am not saying that the US isn't a wealthy and innovative place but it is not exactly far ahead of their international rivals. China included.

Of course in our case, product is hosting (and related), country based based in HK and clients from all over.

Perhaps USD is not everyone's preferred currency but at least it is a currency that most people understand so displaying it by default with an option to change seemed to make the most sense.

USD still because just as English is the universal language, a lot of people think of it as the universal currency. Although I have had some experiences especially when you create a local site that its much better to place prices in their respective currencies because it gives local clients more personal touch and ease when purchasing.

Also, it pays to have a currency converter app/script on your site.

Also, it pays to have a currency converter app/script on your site.

Does such a script exist for websites custom built?

We have to manually indicate on each page which part is the 'price'. Otherwise any number on the page could be converted accidentally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back