Warning: EpicScale "Cryptocurrency Miner" silently installed with latest uTorrent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

codehtc

Many users of the popular BitTorrent client uTorrent are complaining about it silently installing a cryptocurrency miner with a recent update "version 3.4.2 build 38913".

EpicScale is a bitcoin miner that also purports to use your "unused processing power to change the world". It's easily noticeable by the increased CPU load when the computer is idle.

x2C9grN.jpg

The file date/time on the EpicScale files matches the time of the uTorrent update, which confirms uTorrent as the source.

Several other users are reporting the same thing here: What is EpicScale.exe?

Kaspersky Antivirus test :
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
not-a-virus:HEUR:RiskTool.Win32.BitCoinMiner.heur

What do you think about this ??

Last edited:
10 comments
if the user is stupid enough to click the accept offer button ,than he deserve some additional power usage.

I don't understand the stupid enough remark, most users are not savvy users who understand or know what they click upon. it's simple rule of business, make money from what people don't fully understand, this is why your in business and so am I.

Knowledge is power, even though as much as we think we understand something most likely it's a small fish in the sea of information.

Why is this a bad thing? You are techy enough to mess with Torrents, why not know what you accept to? And besides that, I think if it is for a good cause, why not idle mine? ;)

This is a screenshot of a friend of mine, after reading this topic he uninstalled Utorrent and did an Anti-Malware scan.
( "EpicScale" detected also by Malwarebytes )

j4DqglI.png

End users who are just clicking through everything should install Unchecky, to avoid ending up with bundleware. I personally switched from uTorrent a while ago because of the bloat.

Who cares, no-one's dumb enough to use newer uTorrents anyways, full of useless bulk.

v2.2.1 FTW forever.
Enjoy your vulnerable software.

If you haven't switched to something like qbittorrent, you're really missing out.

If 2.2.1 would be vulnerable, no private torrents would use it over newer, explicitly banned versions.

Also don't know any site which would allow qtorrent.

Your claims are thus irrelevant.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back