Using Google AdWords to target Keywords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Happy

Topic is result of a discussion in the shoutbox about choosing a domain and lots of people not understanding how keywords work.

When picking keywords don't use 1337 or piratez talk. Don't just pick keywords that you think explain your site and sound cool. You have to pick keywords that explain your site but will also return in searches.

First if you've never used this site then you've never researched a keyword
https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

eg. "scriptz" returns 2900 global searches. That means that it's searched about 2900 times in Google every month.Now even if you were to rank number one for this keyword you'd probably only get about 1500 hits a month for it.

now let's look at "scripts". That gets about 2,740,000 searches a month. Now even if you rank 10 for a keyword like that you'll get hundreds of thousands of hits.

Anyway that's a bit broad but shows the difference when you use correct spelling.
Let's look in more detail at possible domains.

script tips
This phrase is searched 2400 times a month. That's almost nothing and what's worse is it has a relatively high competition which means it would be difficult to reach the first position.

script help
this is slightly better. It has 8100 global monthly searches and has slightly less competition.

script tutorial
now we're getting someplace. This has low competition which suggests it would be relatively easy to reach the number one position while also having 74,000 global monthly searches. If you were to rank number one for this search term you'd get a large amount of organic traffic from it.

I hope these examples show you how keyword selection works and helps you when chosing keywords to target.

16 comments
select exact will return Only those keywords which contain your typed keywords.
but if you dont' select exact it will return you other important keywords also.

select exact will return Only those keywords which contain your typed keywords.
but if you dont' select exact it will return you other important keywords also.

One of the major mistake that one do while done keyword research on Google AdWords keyword tool is the extensive use of Broad Match type. The broad match type is the default search type and will fetch you a large collection of keyword results that is of no use. If you are searching for the keyword Audi car with the broad search you will get a large and broad keyword collections with a combination of the keywords or either keywords in which only one word of the keyword phrase appears. Hence you would be getting a large monthly search value.

Instead if you do the keyword research with Exact search, you would be getting the keyword combination which contains the words audi and car. In this case you can see a marginal decrease in the monthly search values and this means that the search results is more targeted.
So Exact search type filters the keyword result for you. So if you want to get more accurate and targeted results go for the Exact search types.
source: http://www.georgescifo.com/2010/11/why-to-take-exact-search-types-in-google-adwords-keyword-tool/
do a little more reasrch on google to find out more why should use exact match, you should normally always use exact match type

yes it is good. Because this domain don't have any competition
do not use any keyword which has less then 500 search p/m with exact match, it will have no use of it, SEO part does not ends here this is just start how things works, and if you have keyword rich domain that's a plus sign to your success.

do not use any keyword which has less then 500 search p/m with exact match, it will have no use of it, SEO part does not ends here this is just start how things works, and if you have keyword rich domain that's a plus sign to your success.

don't think like this if you've domain with good keywords u'll be on top.
good domain is only a part of success.
Good Domain + Keywords + Description + Content of your site

if i use this domain HQtipsandtricks.com

it contains highly searched keyword
856tvx.png

will my site come in ranking of search engine

don't think like this if you've domain with good keywords u'll be on top.
good domain is only a part of success.
Good Domain + Keywords + Description + Content of your site
did i said dont use keyword in domain?
i said dont target a keyword which has less then 500 searches p/m

if i use this domain HQtipsandtricks.com

it contains highly searched keyword
856tvx.png

will my site come in ranking of search engine
dont use that keyword you will have high competition and its not easy to rank for that keyword, this need a lot of explanation which i better do later. for now stick with a keyword which has less then 5-600 serchs p/m.

@mraza but mr happy said that its worth , even 10 position??
he meant i guess 10th position on google page itself not on adwords, so if you type "scriptz" on google.com and your site shows on google first page position 10th with that many search, its still worth it. but to compete that keyword is not easy, i will explain later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back