Status
Not open for further replies.

Lease

Although there are a few articles discussing this in more detail, heres a very quick way of reducing by a large amount spammers who register via one of those automated posting programs. :)

This method works well as anyone using those programs will be unable to register without manual intervention, the idea is hopefully it will be too much trouble for them and they won't bother.

It wont (or should not) effect any genuine new members, although I would recommend adding a line into your boards registration terms to state something along the lines of "If you have any problems completing the registration, please send an email admin@example.com"

The best bit about this is it should only take you a few minutes or so to do as you will just need to add one new custom profile field, so its also suitable to those new to IPB and those who do not with to deviate too much from the standard installation.

--------------
Right, lets get going! Navigate your way here...

Admin CP > Management > Users And Groups > Custom Profile Fields > Add New >

And enter the following information...

Field title > Anti Spam Check

Description > "Please enter the following number > NINETY-SEVEN < just the two digits only, without any spaces"

Field Type > Text Input

Maximum Input > 100

Display order > 1

Expected Input > 97

Include on registration page? > Yes

Field must be completed? > Yes

Can be edited by member? > No

Make private profile field? > Yes

Admin and moderator editable only> Yes

Save when you are done. Although please use a different number to what I have posted. Preferably three digits. Remember to make sure the description field and the expected input fields match (Wording and digits)

I would also recommend testing it to make sure it works but I have had no issues with this at all. You can also change the number as often as you like too but this should only need doing occasionally.

The only small disadvantages that have been noticed are admins and global moderators can see this field when viewing a profile and also when an admin or moderator changes their own profile information they must enter the number but I do not see these as any issue really for the benefit gained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back