Trai will cap SMS to 100 per day from Sept 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitish

NEW DELHI: Make sure that you draw up the list of who you want to wish this Dussehra very carefully since the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) has decided to cap the number of text messages that you can send every day at 100.

The new set of rules has ostensibly been framed to check telemarketers from bombarding you with unwanted messages from sauna belts to real estate deals but it will end up putting curbs on how many SMSes you send from your phone.

With the cap coming into effect from September 27, several mobile users would have to resort to making phone calls instead of sending out text messages, seen to be less intrusive. Besides, many who pay up to Rs 100 a month to get a daily dose of free text messages would now see a sharp rise in their phone bills as these schemes would no longer be valid.

Although there are several mobile phone users who send more than 100 messages a day, the regulator and government officials are unwilling to buy this and argue that this is the best way to deal with pesky calls—a menace that Trai as well as the government have been unable to tackle for years.

What's more, telecom operators say that it may be tough to monitor if the 3,000 SMS a month cap for postpaid subscribers is adhered to or not. "In case of prepaid users, you can monitor it on a day-today basis but for postpaid customers , you will look at the number at the end of the month," said Rajan S Mathews , director general of COAI. Trai chairman J S Sarma could not be reached for comment .

Earlier this month, the telecom regulator mandated that commercial communications be sent between 9 am and 9 pm to all subscriberswhether registered for the National Do Not Call Registry or not. For those who opt to be under the 'fully blocked' category, a telemarketer cannot disturb you.

Alternatively, you can opt for the facility which allows you to access information on any of the seven segments—banking and financial products, real estate, education, health, consumer goods, automobiles, communication and entertainment, tourism and leisure.

An exception will be made in case of transaction-related messages such as those from banks, insurance companies, railways, airlines or telecom service providers for providing information related to customers or passengers.

A govt official replied: Just because some kids will be inconvenienced, we cannot forget the larger picture. This new rule is brilliant because it forever will end the problem of SMS spam. I am all for this rule to come into place ASAP.

I can hardly see this 100 message capping as the solution. There are many things for which you just sms people and calling is not a good option. Also, i see Blackberry sales going up with this news. Also, applications like whatsapp etc will soon be getting much more downloads and by no stretch of imagination i can see Indian youngsters REALLY sending only 100 messages.
But the bigger question is what if that 101th message is an EMERGENCY message?

Secondly, we already have the DND feature. If someone can't live with the sms adverts, he can easily subscribe to DND and stop those shit messages.

Last edited:
29 comments
My operator, AirTel says something else,
I havent read your whole post but last line..
& I would like to comment on that they gonna cap to 100 FREE/DISCOUNTED messages per day.

You can continue sending messages >100 but they gonna charge you the regular price of SMS even though you have subscribed to some SMS Discount packs.
Correct me if I'm wrong..

yeah that is correct. The prepaid people would be fuck majorly. The thing with the post paid users is still being decided.However, i am still searching for info. I will keep you guys updated.

A govt official replied: Just because some kids will be inconvenienced, we cannot forget the larger picture. This new rule is brilliant because it forever will end the problem of SMS spam. I am all for this rule to come into place ASAP.

they already change free sms to paid sms during festival, now they do this
so 160by2, way2sms ftw........

Is there any free sms site(for india) have apllication.......??, so i can send sms without going to their site

Well, its a good move. Get a life people :/ sending 400+ messages per day, don't you have any constructive work to keep yourself busy ? Are you lifeless and the only timepass event you have is of sending messages ? Get hold of yourself and concentrate on other things.

they already change free sms to paid sms during festival, now they do this
so 160by2, way2sms ftw........

Is there any free sms site(for india) have apllication.......??, so i can send sms without going to their site

160by2 and way2sms will also be affected

one of the few updates on their blog

http://blog.way2sms.com/?p=179

you will no longer be able to send sms through your mobile no. you will be given a different sender id like TD-xxxxx

Well, this was implemented earlier and removed again. Few months back I suppose. Well problem for the SMS Freaks who do it for their life :P I always stay away from SMS :P

Last edited:
I used to send loads of forwards earlier. Not anymore !

I do need some 50 odd sms/day though :)

Well, its a good move. Get a life people :/ sending 400+ messages per day, don't you have any constructive work to keep yourself busy ? Are you lifeless and the only timepass event you have is of sending messages ? Get hold of yourself and concentrate on other things.

Not really ! Its a trend when you in college.

The messages which you get are mostly related to college or professors, so its fun :P

160by2 and way2sms will also be affected

one of the few updates on their blog

http://blog.way2sms.com/?p=179

you will no longer be able to send sms through your mobile no. you will be given a different sender id like TD-xxxxx

Our name is there,so enough though, atleast we send sms free through this ...:)

Note:
i am highly need of application for sms sending(possible like instant messengers), if anybody know means please shoot a pm or post here...Thanks

Also the google sms service got the new number of TD-666666. Lets see how this turns out. Seeing it again, 100 a day doesn't seem to be very less.

I dont see the point in this a text cost like 0.001 cents
and uses like 0.05kb unless its a image its like irc per say virtually

i pay at&t i think 20$/month for unlimited text for two lines ? =\

Its Indian forum ????

Should I write about what is happening in Poland? Maybe evrybody start writing whats happening in his country ? We will have here a real mess ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back