Starting warez site - domain anonymity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokestash

Hi there,

Is there any way of anonymously registering a domain, or keeping your details private so people can't just do a whois search?

Apparently even services like DomainByProxy are quite easy to get details out of, they give out details as soon as they receive a cease-and-desist letter.

14 comments
How? When you register thru registrars like GoDaddy, and you pay by CC, obvs your details will need to match your CC billing details, otherwise it doesn't go thru.

Pay via PayPal.

I would suggest you use false information and WhoIs guard, if you start earning big money or the site gets really big, you could maybe look into getting a PO Box?

I almost used fake details, but I didn't. I was hacked. The domain was stolen. I had the domain back within a hour of talking to GoDaddy because my domain details matched my drivers license.

I don't know where your based but as long as you don't host any content on the site (i.e. members only post links) you should be fine even with real information. (OK, maybe not, I'm not a lawyer but I *believe* only providing links is fine).

Is there any way of anonymously registering a domain, or keeping your details private so people can't just do a whois search.
Yes you can! :D

Best way to keep your data private is not to give any to your registrar in the first place. Don't use Paypal or any US based registry or US administered domains like .us .com net org info me tv etc...

And there are domains without a whois server like .to ( http://www.tonic.to/ )

I'd say avoid US based registrar, like namecheap and the like.

I could recommend internet.bs (bahamas) & domainerschoice.com (china).

Real registrar, free whois privacy (or you can use fake info) & outside of the US / EU juridiction...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back