Status
Not open for further replies.

soft2050

No i am not complaining about the username change for staff. But for the characters used in it

I am not sure, this is pretty much a bug in vb admin panel that allows username change to shorter names i guess

95d17a4da1.png

And
32d489bbfd.png

"A picture is worth a thousand words"

35 comments
Your initial screen didn't load in time, my bad. And this isn't a bug, admins can override some restrictions like that.

Hang on before it's closed. K³²'s new name. As the ³² not 32 is the small upper case they are not regular characters and therefore it creates issues searching and contacting. It was the same case when Elio had to change his name. The diamater 'o' sign was changed to a real 'o' shortly after he became staff due to these problems. Can staff limit themselves to default keyboard characters.

Hang on before it's closed. K³²'s new name. As the ³² not 32 is the small upper case they are not regular characters and therefore it creates issues searching and contacting. It was the same case when Elio had to change his name. The diamater 'o' sign was changed to a real 'o' shortly after he became staff due to these problems. Can staff limit themselves to default keyboard characters.

I would argue that such strange characters should not have been allowed.

I think it's best if we were limited on the amount of name changes too, we can't be having name changes every day. I'm not saying that this is the case for us, but we need a limit too. :)

Monday: "Oh hey J", "Who are you?"
Tuesday: "Oh hey Dumbledore, who are you?"
Wednesday: "Another name change :facepalm:"

Members that aren't staff put that they've amended their name from X to Y in their signature for X amount of time, why do we need announcements announcing that we have had a name change? I have no clue; why can't we do the same like members. We're not special.

@Hawk,
Indeed, but you should not forget that you changed your username from iMack to Hawk. But that's a different story.

Well, I'm strictly against username changes, even if they're staff. Simple username changes like uppercase, lowercase or sentence case would be fine, but a completely new name is just a piss off.

For Example:
Lifetalk, initially registered as lifetalk, then was renamed to Lifetalk and he's been continuing with it.
WD, initially registered as warezdemon, then was changed to wdemon and now WD. Now that'd be a somewhat agreeable as his whole identity isn't altered.
But, MrSandvik to Overjaculation. Phamous to Belieber. Jason to SucidalMedia. Loget to V1rgin (though he reverted back), all these changes clearly strip off the original identity of the person.

btw, nice discussion :) hope we resolve to some constructive point rather than some immature bullshit.

My username was changed once and at that time we didn't have many username changes and everyone knew who I was when it was changed. At that time we didn't have the rule to put "My username was changed from X to Y" etc.

BlaZe, read the announcement please. It states why we are allowed username changes. Username changes don't actually change anyones identity, it may cause confusion but in no way does it change an identity. The only two things that should be enforced is that we don't use special characters in our names and we don't change it frequently (I doubt anyone will but just so that members don't cause chaos)

I think it's best if we were limited on the amount of name changes too, we can't be having name changes every day. I'm not saying that this is the case for us, but we need a limit too. :)

Monday: "Oh hey J", "Who are you?"
Tuesday: "Oh hey Dumbledore, who are you?"
Wednesday: "Another name change :facepalm:"

Members that aren't staff put that they've amended their name from X to Y in their signature for X amount of time, why do we need announcements announcing that we have had a name change? I have no clue; why can't we do the same like members. We're not special.

That's why you're my favorite mod :sun:

Yeah it was LONG way back xD

I already read that thread, but just honestly tell me, wouldn't a name change arouse confusion (where you completely overhaul a new username).

As long as you rename your username to hawk, HawK, hAWk, etc. there will be no issues. But if you change it from Hawk to Owl, then there will be a confusion among the members. So I'd say that a username change is a NO-NO but a simple username rename would be good.

I think that is one of the reasons why staff that have changed their usernames, announced that they did rather than have the signature stating it. It wouldn't cause confusion as those that amended their names announced it, and if a member doesn't know who K32 is then they should have read the announcement.

You're right Hawk, but not every user reads the announcement threads. If they did, then we won't ever have any newbs asking for help in the forum (indicates that all would be mature, sensible & smart). But this is not so.

I am not against giving special previleges to staff but,

how about giving special previleges that do not confuse the regular users here.

That's why you're my favorite mod :sun:

This is also exactly y Hawk is the Best & My fav Mod around... with Respect to the others. :)

(Mindy & Hawk to be more exact... are my fav's to be more precise.)

---

Coming back to the topic, I feel its not fair of only staff and some respected members here getting 2 letter usernames :( If Allowed, let it be for all or if not, none. :)

my123world said:
Coming back to the topic, I feel its not fair of only staff and some respected members here getting 2 letter usernames :( If Allowed, let it be for all or if not, none. :)

There should be some perks to being staff or respected - a name change is a simple one (although I don't plan to change mine ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back