Status
Not open for further replies.

Ada

One of my business partner purchased SSD VPS from Leasedlayer but how to check they given SSD only? thanks in advance.

15 comments
I think you need to google: linux command check hdd OR SSD speed

Here are some commands that can output drive speed: Linux disk benchmark tool, test

If speed is more than 200MB/s, i think it should not be HDD, but SSD. Some providers limit HDD speed per VPS.

Last edited:
If you have windows vps then type optimize in start search box, select the defregment option. It will show you the Disk type.

If you have linx VPS, then use smartctl command. for ex : sudo smartctl -a /dev/sdb
it will result the disk type.

You can tell by random access time... a typical SSD should be under 0.1 ms, while HDD is 4- 8ms

for example you can check it via HDTune

An HDD might be the right choice if:

• You need lots of storage capacity, up to 10TB
  • Don’t want to spend much money
  • Don’t care too much about how fast a computer boots up or opens programs - then get a hard drive (HDD).
An SSD might be the right choice if:

• You are willing to pay for faster performance
  • Don’t mind limited storage capacity or can work around that (though consumer SSD now go up to 4TB and enterprise run as high as 60TB)

SSD for the win! Nowadays prices between ssd and hdd hosting are almost similar when performance boost is huge with SSD.

I can also add that ssd based storage along with Litespeed server would be perfect choice in terms of speed and uptime. I am with hostwinds and everything works like a clock.

SSD! But it very depends on your needs. If do not need much space, but high speed - SSD, if need lot's of storage space - HDD's.

SSD. But just when you really need that. I have got video site hosted at Hostgator and after their movement to the EIG umbrella I had to move to the kvchosting. They do SSD VPS for me.

Always go with a SSD, especially if your hosting in a shared environment.

I would avoid hosts that are provisioning VPS's on a node without SSDs.

Looking at the space provided, I don't think they lie. 25-100GB space on a SSD VPS is typical. On storage, space may vary from 300-400GB to up to 3TB or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back