Status
Not open for further replies.

yais

I'm getting a new dedicated server and wanted some advice for the specs.

Currently, I'm not too sure which to get between these specs:

* Intel Xeon Quad 5405
* 4096 MB FB DDR2 RAM
* 250 GB 7.200 RPM

or

# Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz
# 4096 MB DDR3 RAM
# 250 GB 7.200 RPM

Any advice?

15 comments
I'd go with the Core i7.
2 threads per core and Skt. B as opposed to the Xeon Skt. 771 and 1 thread per core.

In other words, more processing power :P

1. Props on you for going with Intel ;)
2. Snowman is correct, Core i7 will give you more processing power, because the i7 supports hyperthreading.

Despite the hyperthreading, I have head Xeon is still far better as a server. i7 is a desktop chip and therefore doesnt work as well.

Despite the hyperthreading, I have head Xeon is still far better as a server. i7 is a desktop chip and therefore doesnt work as well.

Ah, good argument... and actually, as I re-read over this... the chipset for the i7 supports DDR3 RAM which is designed to work in banks of THREE, not matched pairs. So, i7 would be best with 6gb of ram (just an example), and since you have only 4 (although still DDR3), It would almost be putting the extra money to get the i7 to waste. What exactly are you trying to run on this server anyways?

Trying to run WarezRaid which with its rising traffic generates immense server load. We are pretty much outgrowing our current dual-xeon.

So a quad-xeon would be better?

Well Xeon's are the better choice when it comes to servers, however they're only better than their equal counterparts.
Example: A Skt 771 Xeon will be better than all the Skt 775 processors as a server cpu.
But it can't really compare to an i7 since the i7 came out at a much later date, with newer and more efficient technologies.

So what would blaze away an i7 as a server chip is the new Xeons the Skt 1366/B types the 5500 series.

Hence I would still go with an i7

I don't know where you are buying from, or what you are paying...but if you could get another 2gb of ram thrown up with an i7 server, you would be set to run nearly anything (within reason, obviously).

But after doing extra research and rechecking what you have right now (the 4gb ram), I think I would purchase the quad-xeon.

I still don't understand who is selling the i7 with 4gb DDR3 ram though. It just doesn't make any sense.

LF, they bring down costs when they use Dual Channel instead of Triple Channel.
Dual channel DDR3 is cheaper than Triple channel DDR3.

Plus many people out there like 4GB sets, thats why when you get an even higher server, then they get you triple channel, up to 12GB or even more.

But if anything yais, try to get a bi-Xeon Quad.....should be able to match upto anything.

I still don't understand who is selling the i7 with 4gb DDR3 ram though. It just doesn't make any sense.

But of course, it would be our famed worldstream.nl.

Anyway, if you go with the i7, it would be best to either go with the 8GB of Ram (keep in mind, only 6GB will be used) or the 12GB of Ram where as all the Ram will be used efficiently is set up correctly.

I'm actually going with the i7 for gu1337. As it also seems to be suffering from High Serverload.

For an extra 30euro, worldstream will upgrade the processor to 2x Intel Xeon Quad 5405. Would that be better then upgrading the RAM for the i7 to 8gb and 2.93Ghz?

To put it simple, between these two, would the i7 outperform?

# Intel Core i7 940 2.93Ghz
# 8192 MB DDR3 RAM
# 500 GB 7.200 RPM

# 2x Intel Xeon Quad 5405
# 4096 MB FB DDR2 RAM
# 250 GB 7.200 RPM

What's your traffic stats anyway? I'm pretty sure I could host such board as yours on servers you mention at least 4 times.

yh, I'm sure both servers will eaily be able to handle WarezRaid. I just want to future proof it by going for the fastest server which means I won't have to change server for a good while.

I'll be running lighttpd on it anyway with plenty of performance tweaks. I'm looking for something lightning fast ;).

Then I'd go with 2 Xeons. Got them in one of my servers too, just with 8 GB ram and 15k rpm SAS disks.

EDIT: 2 Xeons + 8 GB ram preferably :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back