Server come with 4 harddisks. what to do with the remaining 3s ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drakul

I'm currently using the vps and want to switch to a dedicated server. The server that I plan to rent/purchase it comes with 4 hard drives. I am a newbie in the dedicated server. I want to combine the 2 hard drives as 1 and the remaining 2 used as a backup hard drive. Can it be done? or something better ?

7 comments
Best putting 4 x HD's in Raid10. If you want performance then go for 4 x HD's in RAID0 Which is not recommended.

The Best Practice would be to put the Disks in RAID 10, here you will get performance and Mirroring also.

For performance reasons the others are right about RAID 10 with the 4-disks. However, having 2 RAID 1 arrays is not a bad idea especially if you don't have a secondary server to do backups on (just keep in mind that RAID is no replacement for a backup). One thing that many new users to RAID 10 may not know is that in some ways a RAID 10 array is more likely to be lost especially if all the HDDs are the same make and model, they may fail at similar times (so it's important to constantly monitor for a failed disk). If 2 disks of the same pair in the RAID 10 are lost then your whole array will be gone.

Hello!
I'd create Raid1 over two drives, which will definitely keep your data safe.
And the other two drives would be better used for backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back