Rapidshare Terminates Accounts of Illegal Downloaders

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowmanrene

For many years Rapidshare was considered to be a safe way for people to download copyrighted content without having to face repercussions. Recently, however, the company has been actively going after users that upload or download copyrighted files through the service by terminating accounts and logging IP-addresses for legal purposes.

In common with BitTorrent and other file-sharing services, Rapidshare has steadily increased its user base in recent years. The site has hundreds of millions of visitors each month and is listed among the 50 most-used sites on the Internet.

Like most file-hosting services, Rapidshare is hosting a wide range of music, movies and music files that are distributed without the consent of the rightsholders. This has dragged the company’s bosses into several lawsuits with copyright holders already, most recently they were ordered to proactively filter 148 book titles to avoid jail time and huge fines.
Although it is no secret that many people use Rapidshare to distribute copyrighted content, the site’s users have remained largely untouched until recently. Over the last few weeks, however, reports are coming in from users who’ve had their accounts terminated for downloading or uploading copyrighted files. From the emails being sent out, it is clear that Rapidshare is taking a more aggressive stance towards ‘infringing’ users.
“It came to our attention that illegal uploads which have violated third-party copyrights that can result in lawsuits are being hosted on our servers, thus voiding the Terms of Service. We have detected and removed these files from our servers, as requested by the legitimate owners, and are now in the process of terminating accounts that have downloaded or stored those copyrighted materials in order to prevent them from circulating and breaching copyrights again,†the email from Rapidshare reads.

Terminating accounts is not the end of it though, as Rapidshare informs the users in question that their personal details will be kept for legal purposes. “A log file of all your login IP addresses and uploaded/downloaded file details will be kept for legal purposes,†they write. Rapidshare advises users who want to appeal the decision to hire a lawyer.

The email doesn’t elaborate on what they mean by “legal purposes†but we assume that the company is going to use it as leverage, and that logs might eventually end up in the hands of copyright holders. If anything, the email from Rapidshare makes it clear that the company places the interests of copyright holders above the privacy of its users.

There is little doubt that this active termination policy is the result of ever-increasing pressure from copyright holders. At the same time, these actions might very well be the end of Rapidshare’s limitless expansion, as users will quickly move over to competing file-hosting services upon hearing this news.

Source: TorrentFreak

23 comments
Megaupload isn't going anywhere. People just need to learn how to name the files something other than Legion.2010.DVD.Screener.XviD.Blah.Blah.Blah.Delete.Me.Please and name it something like "leg" instead :P

well according to alot of people this is suposedly just a phishing scam and nothing more...... i dunno but thats what ive heard over a few warez boards....so not saying i dont believe u but ill see what other info comes out because like there privacy policy says......they get like billions of logs each day and for them to police that i would have thought be a very long task to do

One of the 50 most visited sites in the world and their going to try and police it. Do they've any idea of the amount of staff they'll need. You can only automate legal stuff so much. It's pretty much impossible. They may close a few accounts and if I'm one of them I'll consider myself extremely unlucky.

Megaupload isn't going anywhere. People just need to learn how to name the files something other than Legion.2010.DVD.Screener.XviD.Blah.Blah.Blah.Delete.Me.Please and name it something like "leg" instead :P

lolz :))

RS doesnt blockes or deletes accounts like that...
There are people who reports the links to RS as copyright or illegal content after which Rs deletes the files and after a prolonged complain to the user files to be reported a illegal then RS takes action on that account.

Also RS files have md5 hash value...
Google for it...

http://www.gulli.com/news/rapidshare-fakemails-sorgen-f-r-panik-2010-03-24

read that and it has confirmed many peoples suspisions of just phishing e-mails......just keep this in mind people.....they are one of if not the biggest file hosting service known atm...apart from megaupload of course......and they get millions if not billions of ips through there system daily........now for them to monitor it and pick out the illegal downloaders would take some super human lol......

OBVIOUSLY rs IS going to cave in to pressure...The writing is no longer on the wall, Its RIGHT IN OUR FACES. If you just shine this, you do so at your OWN peril !! Im curious to know now what exactly it WILL take for Katz to rethink the whole rs "requirement" If the reason that Katz requires rs links is really aimed at pleasing the end users, how could they now NOT see that rs is NOT user friendly? Where rs is concerned, its ALL downhill from here. And they WILL throw any and/or ALL of us under the bus to protect their bottom line !!I say the time to dump these weakass collaborating snitches is NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back