Quick Question: Shared Hosting VS VPS for Web Hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tennouji

This should be a quick question: On hosting my site/s, how should I know if I already need a VPS or if Shared Hosting is enough.

It would also be good if anyone would share advantages/disadvantages of having a VPS/Shared Hosting on sites.

10 comments
a vey very big difference

on a proper VPS you can host as many domains/sites as the vps can handle while basic shared hosting only allows one

@jak321
Shared hosting can allow multiple sites hosted at the same time. If it's a new site you might want to go with shared as in the very first 1 month it's not going to need massive resources. Also its cheap. But if you have high resource consuming scripts(like unoptimized wordpress) then you might need a VPS.
Benefit with VPS is you have root/SSH access and can make customer modifications but its comparatively expensive than shared hosting.

Problem isn't just if you know you need a VPS, but do you know how to manage it? And or otherwise it might cost a lot more. Sometimes you might just need a better host or a different shared hosting plan. Work this out first.

I only have basics on VPS management, some installation of kloxo, setting up database and stuffs. But I think I'm just going to upgrade my shared hosting since I realized that I still have no need for the VPS backend controls which isn't available on shared hosting.

Thanks for everyone on the information.

Depends on your websites. Shared hosting is easier. No need to pay for a license for cPanel. Free control panels are shit.
You will need to manage your VPS which includes optimizations and security.

If you familiar with linux or you will need custom linux configuration you should go with vps.
If you unfamiliar with linux go with normal hosting with cpanel.

Last edited:
It really depends on how much your website or websites require resources like CPU , RAM, Bandwidth, MySQL etc

If your website or websites use very high resources .

Better go with VPS . If you are unfamiliar with VPS . Go with Managed VPS which comes with cPanel/WHM Panel and many other features.

I would recommend you go with

http://www.scopehosts.com they have very friendly and professional support team which resolves any technical issues within 24hours

SHARED HOSTING

Shared Hosting is where most Normal websites are hosted. If you have a standard family site or even a simple business site or any site that uses or consumes low or average resources shared hosting is great.

Shared hosting users reside on one server where all accounts share the same amount of memory, CPU usage, and Hard Drive space. You usually do not have acess to shell but sometimes this can be arranged. You have access to your files but not the file system of the server so you have no control over the server in this respect.

Virtual Private Server

The main difference here is that the server is divided into small slices. So the main hardware node or the actual server itself is divided into small virutal slices of the pie. These slices work like small dedicated servers.

So the big difference is you are not sharing the same file system with everyone else and some of the resources can be garuanteed to you. Rather than all shared between everyone on the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back