Question about server for serving static images.

Status
Not open for further replies.

futureawesome

I have a image blog hosted on blogspot atm and i've filled my 1gb of pictures.

So I'm thinking about buying a server for just serving the extra pictures for future.

I want to know what specs are most important when buying a server just to serve static files (jpegs mainly).
I've read either High RAM high CPU fast HDD.

The only one I know that is important is fast HDD. Which is more important fast CPU or high RAM? Because I've been considering buying a vps with unmetered bandwidth from vps6. My only concern is CPU speed and amount of RAM.

FUTURE:
I hope to get up to about 8000 uniques / day visiting about 10 pages on average. Each page will have between 1-3MB of pictures.

CURRENT:
I have around 1000 uniques / day visiting about 10 pages on average. But google is still paying for the bw/image storage. Just want the server for future.

ASIDE: I don't make a lot of money from this blog and I don't want to that's why I want to minimize the cost of the server.

No one knows? Just wondering which is more important for serving images. high cpu or high ram?

Last edited:
5 comments
I could be wrong but I believe CPU is more important. You'll still need a good amount of memory to store the images. If you optimize images before uploading that would help.

You might also need to concern yourself with bandwidth. If you're using something like a lightbox-type display (for example), bandwidth will be consumed each time someone clicks on a thumbnail image. If you're showing photos plainly on the pages that's not as much of a concern.

static files will consume I/O mostly but for 8000 UV per day I guess you don't need think in any of these.

anyway I/O will need both CPU and Fast HDD and a well optimized server.

simple as that.

Highest Regards
Mohammed H

SSD is not reliable..if you planned for SSD means please use 15k rpm drive..it's reliable and fast

better, you can store images in drop box and google drive (they're cloud in cloud, no way for offline and free)

yes drop box is fine, lot of guys using dropbox, try and feel

Thanks for all the responses.

So CPU power and HDD speed are factors. So if I were to get a VPS to do this, I could opt for lower RAM under 512MB with more cpu cores and either RAID5/10 SATA or SCSI or 15k disks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back