Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddy11

Hi,

just wondering. When I try to reply to a PM and see this error:
<user> has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Does the user get any notification that I tried to reply to him?

Can he actually see somewhere in big red colors that "you don't have any PM space left and won't receive any PM's".

Also it's a bit annoying when you write a huge answer PM (spend like 10-30 minutes), press the send button and get that error.

Maybe there could be better solution?

For example: just remove user's oldest PM message and always send a new one.

Last edited:
9 comments
The user does not receive a notification if their inbox is full.

Users that have exceeded their limit do see a message in their inbox stating that they've exceeded their storage.

We'll look into something where members can store PMs as a draft.

Users that have exceeded their limit do see a message in their inbox stating that they've exceeded their storage.

This is really hard to see.

Today I myself exceeded that limit and I didn't even noticed.

The guy I was talking had my email so he emailed me and told me that he can't send me PM's anymore, but I would not had noticed that myself in any way since you just don't go to "Inbox" regularly.

It probably would have been really frustrating for a person who don't have my email, since he wouldn't be able to contact me and I wouldn't had any clue that someone wants to contact me (it works the same other way around when I can't send message to other user).

We'll look into something where members can store PMs as a draft.

It's not really about drafts. I don't think drafts solves this at all.

You still feel "pissed" because you can't reply to a person which might be interested in buying something from you.
So you just loose money and even impression by the person since he thinks I'm just ignoring his PM.

---------------

The forum does send email on each new message.

Why not send an email with a warning that you exceeded the limit and someone tried to contact you?

But that still doesn't really fully solve it, since users can have disabled email notifications.

Last edited:
I believe an email does get sent out when your storage space is full.

We'll add a notice when you reach 90% of storage space, this will be displayed site-wide (and will be dismissible).

I believe an email does get sent out when your storage space is full.

It definitely isn't right now.

I do receive emails about new messages, but never received any email about exceeded PM's limit.

It's not the first time I reached that limit since people PM me quite a lot.
I obviously forget about clearing them before the limit is reached (like probably most people do) and previous times I basically just noticed that by accident...

It still seems like deleting the oldest would be best (new one always gets sent without that error).

Do people really need those old PM's? If they do they still probably saving them somewhere else and the oldest will anyway be quite old.

That's basically how phpBB forums do. Never seen anyone complain.

There are php scripts for vBulletin to prune PMs older than x days.
But on a side note, we are at a time where Unlimited PMs is possible. If you check the DB table for PMs, it probably is smaller than 100MB and I am pretty sure the server can handle that little to no extra load with no issues..
PM storage was a problem in 2010 maybe...

Just delete all useless messages from inbox and sent box freddy

I do that time from time, but sometimes I just forget to do that.

Also it's not only about personal PM's, but as I mentioned other users to which it's not possible to reply to a PM when they reach the limit.

Since this is just happened again I must say it's really annoying when you can't reply to a member because he don't have any space left.

Members receive a notification when their inbox is full. If they ignore the notification, it is their fault for not emptying their inbox (if they have PMs which they wish to save, they can download them). I would suggest you ask the member for their email, or mention that they should keep an eye on their inbox is not full (even though they receive a notification).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back