No more offshore one day?

Will there be any offshore in 10 years the way things are going?

• Yes definitely, hosts will continue allowing warez linking since there is a high demand.

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Probably not but people will find out another way to share their illegal stuff.

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • There will be no offshore servers since the authorities will close down everything.

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TooManySecrets

Will there come a day when there will not be any offshore servers? From my point of view more any more companies are disallowing warez linking or either sending DMCA complaints to you(since they don't want to deal with them), also any larger warez community is getting investigated by the police like the recent pirate bay incident and being closed down.

I think that all of this if slowly coming to a end and soon a 5 or 10 years there will be no offshore.

Id like to know what you guys think.

9 comments
Will there come a day when there will not be any offshore servers?

Most likely in the near future. Even china -the world's piracy centre- is cracking down.

The future- VPNs and the return of the old anon FTP's

BTW rite now d/w some great music from a private invite only FTP

Seeing how the world ends on December 21, 2012, no I don't think there will be.

On a serious note, I'm not sure about tons of offshore hosting companies, but warez linking sites will always be around because of you're own dedis, etc.

as long as people exist, so does warez linking. It may just be in a different way. 7 years ago I don't think torrents were this popular. who knows what will be in another 7.

10 years ago warez linking didn't exist since there was no rapidshare, I voted the last option I think in 10 years the whole concept of using RS to host warez will be outdated, it'll probably be replaced with something faster and easier nothing on the internet stays the same for a decade it evolves and becomes better eg search engines, file-sharing, heck youtube didn't even exist 4 years ago before youtube people were sharing videos by email/rapidshare.

10 years ago warez linking didn't exist since there was no rapidshare, I voted the last option I think in 10 years the whole concept of using RS to host warez will be outdated, it'll probably be replaced with something faster and easier nothing on the internet stays the same for a decade it evolves and becomes better eg search engines, file-sharing, heck youtube didn't even exist 4 years ago before youtube people were sharing videos by email/rapidshare.

rapidshare has been there since 1998. :)

i agree, rapidshare is getting outdated and sooner or later, rapidshare, mu, and others are gonna go downhill and people will have to think of new ways to share files. IMO P2P is the way forward becuase internet connections are getting better worldwide, and no server is needed as a 'middleman' the only problem is ISP's monitoring connections and usage.. we'll just have to wait and see.

RS was outdated before it started. FTP/torrent/newsgroups/p2p ftw if you ask me. Voted for the 1st option because technically all offshore hosts are onshore. What I mean is 99% of everything claimed to be offshore can be taken down by law. But right now piracy is to spread out so it's hard to do anything against it by law as taking down hosts/sites 1 by 1 is a no go. This will likely continue for quite some time. Just looks at software security and cracks - a never ending cycle. Piracy is something virtual so stopping it can only be done by pulling the plug out of the internet. And even then it's gonna be back like in the early 90's, sharing via friends and via via.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back