Maxthon - The worlds fastest browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

jones

Maxthon - The worlds fastest browser
maxthon.jpg
screenshot_00002.jpg

http://www.maxthon.com/
Maxthon a fast excellent web browser with a range of features that would normally require the installation of numerous add-ons. Indeed, Maxthon 3 has extra features and is faster than Chrome and the latest version of Firefox and Internet explorer

Maxthon Passport
The Maxthon Passport is a handy feature that allows you to synchronise and access your favourites, notes, settings and other Maxthon related goodies across any number of computers and devices. In essence, your web will travel with you, and in reality it works rather well.

To sign up for the Maxthon Passport,simply click on the Sign-Up link that appears as a separate box, when first installing or upgrading to Maxthon 3 or by clicking on the smiley face in the top-left corner, followed by the link next to it named ‘Login With Maxthon Passport’. The wizard will then walk you through the process of setting up a free account and ask you which services you want to have synchronised by the Passport. After you’ve made your selections, the next time you log in on a different computer or smart device, the services will be synchronized and you’ll be able to enjoy your usual browsing experience. Normally, having a free sign-up box appear when starting an application is a sure-fire way to have it ignored, but the

Screenshots
Instead of launching a separate screen grabber or hitting the PrtScr button, with Maxthon you have the ability to
take an image of a section of the page displayed or the entire area. In addition to taking the screenshot, you can also blur out some areas (bank details, for example); create a caption bubbles of differing shapes and sizes and fill them with text; you can draw llines, arrows and highlight sections, should you so wish; then you can save the finished product as a JPG, PNG or BMP. It’s very simple; all you need to do is:
• Locate the page you want to grab the screenshot from.
• Click on the arrow next to the camera icon in the top right of the screen.
• Select either ‘Snap Region’, or ‘Snap Whole Page’.
• Do the necessary adjustments.
• Click on the save (the disk icon) button and name it.

Night Mode
If there’s one thing that annoys most late night browsers of the internet, it’s sudden
bright screens of white backgrounds and eye-watering text. In most cases, you Shouldn’t really be surfing in the pitch black, but there are times when the other half may be sleeping and there’s work to be done. In that case, you need a night time mode.
• With Maxthon loaded up, locate the right-facing double arrows (in the very top right of the screen).• One of these is ‘Night Mode’, with an extension arrow to the right of it.
• The arrow will launch more configuration options for night mode, as well as activating it.
• To cancel Night Mode, simply click it again.

Maxthon Features
Yet more great features to check out: System info: Click on the bottom monitor icon and you can view CPU usage, download/upload speeds, IP addresses, etc.

Mute button: A handy mute button, located in the bottom right of the Maxthon window.

AdHunter: Turn off annoying adverts with the built-in AdHunter, located next to the mute button.

Reader Mode: When you open a page, the browser display an icon that allows better reading.

SkyNote: A Notepad-like utility that’s better than Notepad.

Feed Reader: The RSS feed icon on the left launcher bar will keep your feeds.

Mouse Gestures
While many can’t stand making wiggly lines on their screens to launch, close or
otherwise control their browsing, there are some who revel in it and are actually quite
good at making the thing on the screen appear to resemble the gesture itself.
• Click on the smiley face.
• Locate ‘Options’.
• Scroll down the selections until you see ‘Mouse Gestures’ and click on it. From here you can alter the default ‘Hold right button, then left click’, to one of your own making, as well as defining a custom gesture to initiate a command within the browser.

Split Screen
This tip is quite possibly one of the most awesome features of any browser ever. Let’s
say, for example, you want to purchase a new printer. You have a few in mind but
want to shop around for the best price and a list of accompanying features. What
you need in this case is a split-screen affair, so you can measure up one site against
another or one list of features versus another. Maxthon can help:
• Open up the Maxthon browser.
• Hit F10, and the screen will split into two separate browser windows.
• Navigate to the first website, then with the separate set of tabs, along the top of the main window, navigate to the other.

Drag And Drop Search
If you come across a phrase, title or name of something in among the normal text of a random web page, highlight it, then drag it onto the address bar to initiate a search of the text.

External Tools
What many don’t realise is that within Maxthon itself, you have the ability to launch any ‘normal’ application or program. To start with, locate the arrows in the very top right again, click them, and select the first option in the menu, ‘External Tools’. This will launch a separate box with My Computer, Desktop, Notepad, Calc and Paint already populated within, but you can include your own by clicking on the plus sign

• In the newly opened window, browse to the directory of the executable and click on it to add it to the relevant boxes.
• Click on the ‘More’ button at the bottom of the window and fill in any extra arguments needed to run the program.
• Tick any of the boxes you want to have the program launch in a particular fashion.
• Click ‘OK’ when you’re ready. The application will now be added to the External Tools, ready to be launched.

Pop-up Video
One final clever trick and a feature that’s enabled by default in the new version of
Maxthon is that of the auto pop-up video. If you’re on a site that has an embedded
video and you hit the play button, Maxthon certainly deserve more attention.

22 comments
I installed the browser on my computer which runs on Windows Vista. I simply do not like the design aspect of the program. Very dull colors. Simple "boxy" design. The sidebar is so outdated. Image: http://i.imgur.com/ECgEk.png ; Also in the upper right hand corner where you close the program some users won't notice that it's there (older users). Image: http://i.imgur.com/wntR1.png

This browser runs at a decent speed thus from my point of view I believe that Firefox and Google Chrome still top the browser. Although Internet Explorer on my computer runs much slower than Maxthon! So I suppose that's a plus. Overall, this browser isn't for me. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody especially not an older user due to the fact that this browser looks unorganized and is much different then the average browser.

I think as performance google chrome is the best, light on system and very fast. I use 5 different browsers and find chrome the best in performance. My main is opera but some sites do not function properly on it.

Never heard of it, till now. I'll stick with firefox mainly because I can hit ctrl - b and my bookmarks open to the left of my screen. Simple, and it's what I'm comfortable with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back