Java Exploit Could Potentially Affect More Than 850 Million Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rox

Security experts have recommended that computer users either disable or uninstall Java following the discovery of a zero-day Java exploit which allows hackers to take control of vulnerable Macs, PCs and Linux computers.

The zero-day Java exploit takes advantage of a vulnerability left open in Java 7 Update 10, released in October of last year. It works by getting Java users to visit a website with malicious code that takes advantage of a security gap to take control of users’ computers, these computers can then be controlled by hackers as botnets to attack other sites or steal data.

The bad part of the exploit is that this exploit is also being used a ransomware, remember the SOPA Ransomware which was around sometime ago?

Java Zero Day Exploit Details

---------- Post added 14th Jan 2013 at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was 13th Jan 2013 at 10:42 PM ----------

This exploit is now fixed by Oracle, check this post for more information - http://www.intehnet.com/oracle-patches-java-day-security-threat.html

5 comments
Java has never been secure to use as far as I can remember. It doesn't surprise me that they stil have fixed it. Unfortunately for me, I have to use Java for school, so I can't uninstall it. Well I better get a good firewall protection package.

i hope they fix it soon :)
but we found the exploit, still 1000's of exploits are there in all software, but they're not known to all...

so wait and see for their response.

Java has never been secure to use as far as I can remember. It doesn't surprise me that they stil have fixed it. Unfortunately for me, I have to use Java for school, so I can't uninstall it. Well I better get a good firewall protection package.

It's the Applet side that is the problem. Java itself isn't that bad. It's the same with Flash and other browser plugins. They are fully of problems and get patched all the time.

Unfortunately this side of Java earns it a bad name.

Its important from now on to disable Java inside browser when not in use because this isn't a first time the exploit went viral. It happened before and it will happen in future as well. Oracle Java is not safe anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back