How is it profitable for file host?

spiral

Hello! I am new to this community!

And I was curious: How is it profitable for a file host to operate and also share earnings?

Like cloud costs, they are sky-high, especially the bandwidth, storage, and encoding. And I haven't counted how many tech people will be needed to manage all this, and I haven't assumed that it uses K8s to operate all this otherwise, the cost will be through the roof!

I just want to understand its system design and how all this stuff works, like how much storage they use for all the videos, backup and logs, along with bandwidth usage!

Thank you!

12 comments
file hosting is not more profitable due to issues payment gateways and ad networks.
Got that! But how do they still operate after all this? Is it like they put their own money into this for our sake?

Yes at time this business not much more profitable
Most common problem
For your server - abuse and DMCA

So many ad network also suspended your account

Try other things

But if you want start
Reply here I am details explain
Thanks
Thanks for the reply! Though I wasn't looking to start this, I'm just curious about it how they are still doing it.

I think that the uploading sites, after they become famous, can cover server expenses, cover profit sharing, and also earn money. Do not forget that they pay for 10K views, while advertising companies pay for 1K views, and the focus is on first-level countries such as Australia
Canada
United Kingdom
UnitedState
The cpm rate is high, especially in the United States. It may reach $30 or $80. If this happens once or twice a month, you are in the best condition. $30 x 10 x = $300. The uploader will give $30 and take $270.

I think that the uploading sites, after they become famous, can cover server expenses, cover profit sharing, and also earn money. Do not forget that they pay for 10K views, while advertising companies pay for 1K views, and the focus is on first-level countries such as Australia
Canada
United Kingdom
UnitedState
The cpm rate is high, especially in the United States. It may reach $30 or $80. If this happens once or twice a month, you are in the best condition. $30 x 10 x = $300. The uploader will give $30 and take $270.
$270 will be a good profit, but I think servers will cost them a lot, like bandwidth and storage, as users upload tons of content.
And also DMCA requests and any other legal issues that don't make sense.

For example, if we take StreamSB as an example, it has tons of content like JAV stuff and whatnot, like every JAV site uses them.

I can't even guess the size of StreamSB may be 20PB or more

I wouldn't be surprised if they started releasing papers on storage solutions and system design stuff XD

$270 will be a good profit, but I think servers will cost them a lot, like bandwidth and storage, as users upload tons of content.
And also DMCA requests and any other legal issues that don't make sense.

For example, if we take StreamSB as an example, it has tons of content like JAV stuff and whatnot, like every JAV site uses them.

I can't even guess the size of StreamSB may be 20PB or more

I wouldn't be surprised if they started releasing papers on storage solutions and system design stuff XD
Mostly the script is hosted separately on a server and the files are on another server, and the script has the advantage of multiple servers through ftp in linking with different storage services
With regard to data transfer, most famous hosting companies such as hetzner - ovh - fdcservers provide dedicated servers for use in storage, and data transfer is unlimited, and this is the responsibility of the company. Regarding DMCA notifications and misuse, the upload site manager is supposed to distribute loads and files on servers or upgrade servers so as not to There is pressure on the servers for long periods, and therefore it is considered a head of use, especially notifications. The file servers data is hidden by linking with Cloudflare or ddos-guard, and the file servers are distributed to more than one account

Mostly the script is hosted separately on a server and the files are on another server, and the script has the advantage of multiple servers through ftp in linking with different storage services
So they are just running a bunch of scripts to manage all this stuff? Like no tech is involved over here? And they use FTP to manage all this. I thought they would be using GFS and dupe checks with replicas and storage buckets.
With regard to data transfer, most famous hosting companies such as hetzner - ovh - fdcservers provide dedicated servers for use in storage, and data transfer is unlimited, and this is the responsibility of the company.
I think even if they use dedicated servers from these companies, they don't provide data guarantees like OVH DC got on fire. And they can hand over their server data easily. And also, the unlimited bandwidth is shared.
Regarding DMCA notifications and misuse, the upload site manager is supposed to distribute loads and files on servers or upgrade servers so as not to There is pressure on the servers for long periods, and therefore it is considered a head of use, especially notifications. The file servers data is hidden by linking with Cloudflare or ddos-guard, and the file servers are distributed to more than one account
The reason for StreamSB shutdown is the DMCA. I don't think this stuff works well. And I don't know much about ddos-guard I've seen them on some anime sites, but Cloudflare can detect this kind of abuse easily! Either they CF spend tons of money to use them or don't know what they do. And their Unlimited plans don't count other stuff except HTML, and they even ban you for images if it go through their CDN.

Canada
United Kingdom
UnitedState
Yes thats a profitable business

It's economies at scale, similar to how you would say "how can dollartree afford to offer X at $1" or how Lidl is able to sell you eggs at 10 cents per egg.
When you have large volume, you can offset the costs of 1 GPU server for video encoding and some high-volume storage servers, while having an otherwise pretty simple front-end with some redis caching. As long as the CPM paid by advertisiers (which are hard to find in these business models) outweigh the epenses, these organisations can keep on running. And this clearly is the case, otherwise we wouldnt be having this discussion.

Back