Google Penalty/Ban - Common Mistakes to Avoid while doing SEO

Status
Not open for further replies.

nYXem

Very often we unintentionally go Black Hat with SEO, which later may cause a Google penalty making us wonder what exactly went wrong.
Here are few very basic mistakes committed by webmasters which go on to harm their sites big time.

1. Keyword Stuffing – So you have made a nice list of keywords to target for your site, and they’re used all over the content, meta tags and page titles and literally everywhere. DON'T do that. This is hardcore Black Hat that has once fooled search engines a lot, but no more, they are way smarter now. This can get you banned permanently. So be careful and creative with your keywords. It’s good to optimize your content, tags and all but don’t over do it. Always evaluate your copy first and see whether you’re being informative. Check your high ranking competitors, see how their content is structured and try to go one step above what they’re doing. Both your visitors and Google will love you for that.

2. Stupid Redirects: If you’d like your visitors to be redirected to your new domain, do it properly with a 301 redirect or by modifying your .htaccess file. DON'T do this with a Javascript or some other type of script. It might look cool to you but to Google, its not.

3. Improper Text: If your site has texts that blend in to the background or is too small to read, rectify them! NEVER use invisible keyword stuffed text. Make sure the formatting of the text is clean and simple.

4. Buying Text links: Buying your so called "Friends" or "Partners" is never a good strategy, though we all have probably done it at some point of time. Search engines have strict norms against this. Quite obviously its hard to catch you in such situations, still its better to be on the safe side. Again, if you really need to buy some, get them only from sites related to your niche.

5. Link Building: Now this part is tricky. All I can say is, be consistent with your pace of link building. Building thousands of links within a week and then sitting idle for the next 3 months may get you screwed by Google, so DON'T do that. If you are building around 50 links per day, go at that pace or keep increasing it slowly, but no sudden jumps or falls. Same as 4th point, better build backlinks on sites related to your niche(of course not possible in case of Web2.0 sites).

From what I have seen and read over the days, I understand that On site Black Hat SEO can be extremely dangerous. Off site Black Hat SEO can still be harmful, but the risk is not as high as in On Site SEO, because of the simple logic that you decide what you put on your site but you have little/no control over what happens on other sites. So take care of the first three points first.

I'm not some SEO guru or even close to that, so if there's something wrong, please let me know. All comments are welcome.

I hope you enjoyed reading it. I will update this if needed.

Good luck!

35 comments
Why is my sites mail url banned ? other urls are working when i asked google to review site they said some pages contain somethings they didnt mention anything
site:www.watchmoviesandshows.com

Well hard to say that. But a possible reason is the use of too many keywords in your meta tags in your index page. Though Google doesn't give importance to them anymore, still it might be the reason. Keep the number low.
Also meta description appears twice in every page. Fix it.

@nYXem I agree that everybody must be cautious , but if we avoid all of this potentially dangerous actions (regarding Google) , what is the next action after you make your site ? Sitting on your hands or praying ?

@nYXem I agree that everybody must be cautious , but if we avoid all of this potentially dangerous actions (regarding Google) , what is the next action after you make your site ? Sitting on your hands or praying ?

Absolutely not.
Regarding keywords, use them wisely. Put them only where they are necessary. In the content, tags, etc. put only those keywords that actually make some sense with the topic. Don't stuff in irrelevant keywords thinking that would help you drive in traffic for them as well.
Regarding building backlinks, as I said, be consistent with the amount you build in a given time frame.
Just don't push too hard at anything. Always be under the radar.

Doing SEO after the website is designed and built. For some reason, people think SEO should start afterwards. I've been racking my brain for an analogy, but it's really pretty simple: Do you go on a trip before you pack? Do you launch a business before writing some sort of business plan? Do you visit to a friend's new house without printing out driving directions?

Indeed, a really good post.

Don't abuse Google, don't try to cheat them, don't try to be smarter .. They will catch you & ban your site...

You forgot most important thing, and that is duplicate content. Avoid it at any cost.
In wordpress, you have to protect yourself, since WP have supahhuge bug, you already have unlimited dupe content, however, unless someone links to it maliciously, and that linking gets noticed by G, you are kinda safe, but protecting against it is a must! I will not reveal what exact bug it is, because, someone could have ideas how to kill other people sites...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back