Facebook will die in the next few years!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Happy

A recent analysts stated Facebook will die in 5-8 years as reported by CNET. I think this is true but there is a way out if they act fast.

First their was AOL, then Yahoo had MyYahoo which was followed by MySpace and now Facebook. What do these have in common? They are portal sites to news and your contacts. They all have a life span which is short as they are easily replaced. Look at Yahoo's share price now and compare it to 2000. Do the same for AOL or for MySpace only a few years ago. Facebook is going the same way. It's (second market) share price was highest in 2011 when it hovered around $43. At IPO launch it was only $38 so it was already falling and it's now back to it's 2010 price. It's growth is already slowing.

Facebook needs to purchase HTC Mobile and Opera to survive long term. They can't buy RIM as it's too fucked up and Nokia is too closely linked with Microsoft. Amazon has gone it's own route with the Kindle Fire while Samsung is just too expensive. RocketMelt is a bloated version of Google Chrome and you can't buy Chrome, Safari or Internet Explorer. They can't buy Mozilla FireFox or it's Boot to Gecko OS as it's open source and Google has both Motorola and Android. Apple speaks for itself.

As everyone has being saying for years now the future is mobile and an App like Instagram is useless if you don't own a Mobile OS, Browser and manufacture to back it up. Facebook currently have none of these which is reflected in it's share price. If Apple announce Photo Sharing in iCloud at next week's WWDC as rumored it could potentially kill half of Instagram over night and their is nothing Facebook could do about it.
If it doesn't make some big mobile purchases and I don't mean apps in the next year it will lose popularity over the next 5-8 years like the other portals have before it.

What do you think Facebook has to do to survive in a world dominated by mobiles and tablets? Can it survive without a Mobile OS, Browser or it's own phone?

Last edited:
70 comments
[slide]http://gaelleqmnr.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/rip-facebook1.jpg[/slide]

4636836055_b34303e310.jpg

Mark should not be running facebook he is a computer nerd not a businessman

Buying instagram was stupid its nothing more than a fad and as mentioned in the post it can easily die overnight

Buying opera is even worse doing that is not going to keep them relevant what do they expect it to take off in a market that's dominated by chrome and firefox good luck with that

To keep themselves relevant they need to innovate buying pointless dead/dying software is just going to run them into the ground

Social sites like facebook are just the "in thing" currently, they're not a big step in any direction, many industry leaders know and say this.

Something big is yet to come, FB isn't it, so of course it will die sooner or later.

Well Facebook is going downhill since few weeks.

Nice read though.

(Side note: Mr Happy, its "there" not "their" xD
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling)

Why you guys always target Mr.Happy? Last time I remember it was Loget or maybe Hawk and now Blaze you too :facepalm:

Well according to me Facebook will die soon don't worry, as the OP said every thing has a life span, like orkut was replaced by facebook. Facebook would be replaced too unlike google+ which had same look features in it.

Why you guys always target Mr.Happy? Last time I remember it was Loget or maybe Hawk and now Blaze you too :facepalm:

Well according to me Facebook will die soon don't worry, as the OP said every thing has a life span, like orkut was replaced by facebook. Facebook would be replaced too unlike google+ which had same look features in it.

He is not targeting Mr Happy, He is helping Mr Happy to make his English better :facepalm: What's wrong about that?

other social networks died cause some other company/social network replaced them.
what's going to replace facebook? google + lol? that thing is a big fail itself so twitter? lol we all know thats not possible at all.

hate it or like it facebook will stay.

A right way of Marketing things would have gone easy for them but they are really trying too much Here, with all the strategies they have got and very less time now Until they Buy something like Opera or Nokia but they need real Monies for that

Its time to end Facebook now

Well Facebook is going downhill since few weeks.

Nice read though.

(Side note: Mr Happy, its "there" not "their" xD
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling)

There - as in saying "I was there" it refers to a place/location/situation/etc.
Their - this refers to something belonging to somebody such as "it is their phone".
There're - this is a shortened version of "there are".
They're - short for "they are".

Frankly it amazes me people can speak more than one language fluently... I have enough bloody trouble with English (native tongue).

On topic - The sooner social networking dies the better imho.

JGM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back