Exposing Alexa Inc | Have you ever used the Alexa Toolbar?

Alexa Toolbar Info

• I'm using the Alexa Toolbar right now

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I've never used the Alexa Toolbar

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • I've never used it & never met anyone that has

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

To0

This is a simple poll, with three options on it, self explanatory.

I remember when Alexa (Alexa - The Web Information Company) first arrived, the moment that they did they were able to track just about every single website immediately.

I have NEVER met anyone whom has used or uses their toolbar, so the idea and emphasis behind the fact that their tracking is a result of the toolbar is genuinely behind me.

Are you using the Alexa toolbar? Have you ever Used the Alexa toolbar?

Do you think Alexa is honestly using a toolbar to track website data as closely and precisely as they are able too?

Think about it....

Getting to the technical side of things.

What is used to track your movements and essentially rate and monitor websites is called Trackware.Alexa. Some think of it as a physical toolbar, while others consider it to be an invisible attachment to just about every single toolbar there is.

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexa_Internet
More: http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2004-062410-3624-99

Last edited:
13 comments
Yep never use it but everyone trust on alexa ranking

But why do people trust them that's what i don't get, Where and how are they getting this information, Even with computer illiterate people who have like 10 toolbar's covering most of their screen i never ever see an alexa toolbar. They claim billions of people download it but i have a hard time believing that.

And lets not forget toolbars are becoming a thing of the past but yet alexa seems to still manage to find out information on new sites.

Yep never use it but everyone trust on alexa ranking

But why do people trust them that's what i don't get, Where and how are they getting this information, Even with computer illiterate people who have like 10 toolbar's covering most of their screen i never ever see an alexa toolbar. They claim billions of people download it but i have a hard time believing that.

And lets not forget toolbars are becoming a thing of the past but yet alexa seems to still manage to find out information on new sites.

Yes this toolbar thing i also don't get it perhaps that have manage to get the info with other methods so about toolbar maybe ~ maybe not.

I've used the Alexa toolbar and i have seen actual results from surfing on my sites with it enabled, i also know others who use it and i've been using it for the past ~4 years now. A lot of other toolbars have alexa integrated into themselves as alexa pays some sort of sponsorship for it i assume.

I always have sparky plugin installed.
20130929170127902.png

I don't think it boosts your site rankings if its installed, I just like to see the bar :)

never used it, but one could use it to turn the tables on alexa by sending invalid data... all you would have to do is find out the exact messages going back and forth between alexa and your machine, replicate it, then bombard it with your own website through proxies, tadaaa... your alexa rating hits the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back