Defendos Security - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

l0calh0st

Hey all,

I'm the lead developer of Defendos. A new software, developed for Windows 7 and the new 8. It's a brand new and fast security application for your system. It's completely free and we need your help to make this product even better!

screenshot.png

Unlike your anti-virus, internet security or anti-malware it does not disinfect your system, it mainly protects you against virusses, malware, keylogger trojans, 0day exploits, web exploits, scam websites, phishing websites.
Defendos blocks connections by a blacklist of IP's. Defendos is very light weight and is a great addition to your system, it can run smoothly with your anti-virus or internet security.
These are not the only features, check out the list below:

- Advanced connection level protection engine.
- Protection against 35,000 web threats and 205,000 peer to peer threats.
- Amazing fresh design powered by MetroUI.
- Very low CPU/memory usage in background.
- File locking and unlocking using strong algorithms.
- System Host file protection.
- Vault system to protect files from infection/editing.
- Custom Hosts editor and adjuster.
- Advanced system cleanup options, cleanup with one click.
- Customizable protection levels; main, ads, p2p.
- Easy to use Updater for program updates and definitions.
- Protection integration with uTorrent.
- Keeps you protected on the P2P torrent network.
- Blocks upto 70% of the anti-piracy and government IP in uTorrent.
- File Inspector, checks the file for online reports regarding it.

More Information:
http://defendos.com/defendos.html

Releases:
https://www.motionite.com/community/forums/releases.20/

Download:
http://defendos.com/releases/defendos_1.0.1_09-03-2013.rar

CNET (Not up to date):
http://download.cnet.com/Defendos/3000-18510_4-75824006.html

Please let me know what you think.

Thankyou!

Last edited:
53 comments
Amazing piece of software, I got the interface converted for mac but unfortunately can not get the engine working. Could use some features like reports...etc, they connected to the database but just the main purpose for the program. Additionally it is nice to see a forum on the Defendos website for help, support or queries but unfortunately we can not register:

OeWz

The first thing I got on chrome, I will still see how it goes

52Fl2.png

Installed it
First one was I had to enter the activation key 3 times to get it start.

Last edited:
Just a suggestion. If you are looking for serious beta testing and help then head over to wilderssecurity.com. That is a anti-malware + computer security discussion forum. They will help you out with development (where necessary) and help you test out your app quite thoroughly.

@MrOSX, Fixed.

@Suhel,
That's normal with a new file. And you don't install it, just extract. Normally it will ask the license key only once. Let me know how it goes further.

@CloudShadow,
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that's needed. There are some serious smartasses out there which I don't want their opinion from. This application works totally different than anti-malware tools used on that site.
I may post it there later on. Thanks again CS.

Does it need to run in background to keep protecting?
btw the memory usage is bit high compare to the current one, I am running

The memory usage is 27MB, still 50% lesser than Dropbox and Malwarebytes. The CPU usage is 0%.

And yes it needs to be running in background.

Well comparing any software with Malwarebytes is an big mistake, as they are the best malware remover, I have used and I have used many free and paid.

The software nice and simple, I like it but it definitely needs more features added.
The price 3$ every month right? Why not make it one time payment?
Really never got into paying every month besides hosting.

@Suhel,Thanks, do you have any suggestion?

@weena,
Thanks for the useless reply. As I said this is NOT a replacement of an anti-virus software. Btw MSE is not that good. Avast / Mbam / are way better.

Nice app :). 3 things though:

1. The hosts file has nothing to do with the Windows kernel and as such modifying it does not improve kernel-level security.
  2. Does it actually parse the file so that it doesn't for example change/remove user-defined localhost alias domains?
  3. Any application can write to the hosts file without a UAC prompt by injecting exploror.exe. Lots of viruses/trojans will use this to, for example, make www.mybank.tld redirect to a different server (phishing). This is probably a much bigger threat than dodgy sites using java driveby's and other iframe'd BS. How does it deal with that?

Thanks for your reply Hyperz.

Well Ive added a Hosts Customizer function so the user can insert his own custom hosts rules. It saves that info locally and appends the Defendos signatures after every update.

The main purpose of this app is that it prevents users to get their system infected (ofcourse not all). Its not something like a realtime scanner. Even better, if the hosts file gets injected by a virus it won't affect long term because everytime you enable/disable/update/restart Defendos takes a fresh copy of the hosts file and patches again.

Hope that its a bit clear now :)

Thanks

Even better, if the hosts file gets injected by a virus it won't affect long term because everytime you enable/disable/update/restart Defendos takes a fresh copy of the hosts file and patches again.

Just be aware that if a virus depends on the hosts file the do its thing it'll most likely prevent anything else from writing to it. Especially if it took refuge in the kernel which will be the case for most viruses/trojans.

Anyway, good luck with it. One suggestion I'd give you is to make the app send the hosts file to your server so you can scan it there and perhaps detect if something is preventing your app from writing to it or scanning for known phishing IP's etc. Second suggestion, make categories for blockable hosts. That way, like buddah suggested, users can choose to block specific ad sites or even things like DRM-related domains for not-so-legally-obtained-games.

Last edited:
If you can add ad servers(assuming you didn't), I'd recommend this program to people.

I am not adding this feature. Because there are plenty of adblock addons for browsers. Defendos main target is dangerous websites.

Just be aware that if a virus depends on the hosts file the do its thing it'll most likely prevent anything else from writing to it. Especially if it took refuge in the kernel which will be the case for most viruses/trojans.

Anyway, good luck with it. One suggestion I'd give you is to make the app send the hosts file to your server so you can scan it there and perhaps detect if something is preventing your app from writing to it or scanning for known phishing IP's etc. Second suggestion, make categories for blockable hosts. That way, like buddah suggested, users can choose to block specific ad sites or even things like DRM-related domains for not-so-legally-obtained-games.

I will try to implement tamber protection for Defendos AND the hosts files. So it can't be edited. I will try.

Also understand that Defendos can NOT replace an anti-virus/malware tool. Defendos is preventive, once your system is infected it's the job of your AV to fix that.

I have some suggestion

Scanner (malware remover)
Auto start when you log in to windows
Sandbox
Program scanner

Thanks for the suggestions; as I said a malware scanner / program scanner is a job of your anti-virus. Not needed in Defendos. Sandbox, there is already a small working tool that does the job. Good suggestion tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back