Decrease the number of reported links?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whoo

The Wise One
As some of you know my bot uploads all the latest popular TV-shows and movies with the original.scene.release.name.rar.

The number of deleted files I get is really annoying. Now my question is does anyone have experience with just giving your uploads random filenames like family_pictures.rar etc...?

Will the links stay live longer?

19 comments
Make the filenames like
Code:
b7456d8828ce1949cb8ba9f69984635a
and password protect your files, every single archieve with
Code:
whoo.ws

Make the filenames like
Code:
b7456d8828ce1949cb8ba9f69984635a
and password protect your files, every single archieve with
Code:
whoo.ws
That's was I was planning to do, I would go for MD5-ing the filenames, don't know about password protection though :P

Password protection is annoying, serves no purpose at all.

Changing the filename will help if it's a bot randomly searching Google for release names, but if it's actually searching for the title itself ie: "Inception 2010 Download" or any other term, that wouldn't help at all.

Unless you're going to change your whole post from the real thing to something fake, which would basically mean no one will know what's what lol.

Have a private mirror, for example, upload one to Rapidshare and post them, another one on Megaupload but keep it private, don't share, if RS link dies, remote upload from MU, which will take a couple of minutes and ultimately keep your post alive.

Or just get a Netflix subscription, which owns. Netflix ftw.

I do agree that password protecting that files is annoying for the end user, but if the downloader has common sense he should be able to see the password (of course, whoo did post the password in the post).

My personally experience is that password protected files last longer/forever.

Only bad thing about password protecting for the uploader is that it's less chance your links get leeched, also, that means less downloads and less money if that's the main reason why you're uploading.

Chamge the file name won't do much.
el_jentel1 said pretty much everything.
Some boards even use the hide tag but it doesn't work much either.

1r42lk.png

Issue I find is megaupload is way to slow to upload to. Takes like 10 years for anything to get done...what else would be good for mass storage and fast speeds

Thing is, that isnt allowed by katz ;)

Is'nt allowed yet however it maybe something they have to look into in the future.

Looking at it from a different view and protecting instead of re-uploading.

You could try and identify the bot(s) and hide any links to them. Depending on how advanced the bot is it may be possible to track get the useragent and hide just the link OR which would be really cool to modify a digit in the link before displaying it so it things your site is full of dead links and goes elsewhere.

Obviously this is a lot more advanced and time consuming and while an option for you wouldn't be possible for most other webmasters to try.

Good idea Mr Happy, I might go checking the server logs to see if any weird useragent popped up :D

Edit: Just been paying around with the logs abit, I picked a randomly reported download with not too much views and I scraped the user agents together with the OS from the server logs (Yes I can do that lol)

If anyone wan't to have a go at looking for any weird bots that might be the problem of the reported downloads here you go: http://whoo.ws/useragents.txt

PS: If anyone is going to complain about privacy and shit, I don't share anything that might offend anyone in any way, I simply list the browser people use and their operating system.

I don't know if you will like this idea or not but you may use DLC containers to protect your links but this will have some effect on your users and will force them to download JDownloader to download from your site.
Also what El Jentel said about mirroring your files applies to the containers too and I think that container are easier to be mirrored then files.
the point of using DLC container is that the download link of your files are never seen by the user and ur files will never be deleted so if there is something to be deleted it will be the container only.

I don't know if you will like this idea or not but you may use DLC containers to protect your links but this will have some effect on your users and will force them to download JDownloader to download from your site.
Also what El Jentel said about mirroring your files applies to the containers too and I think that container are easier to be mirrored then files.
the point of using DLC container is that the download link of your files are never seen by the user and ur files will never be deleted so if there is something to be deleted it will be the container only.
It's a good idea but I want my site to be easy to use for every user, this includes the noobie computer users who have no clue what a download manager is.

I wrote a script to analyse traffic patterns and Identify mass crawlers ages ago for tws. Worked well but required human training (in the form of inserting reported threads).

I disbanded it when I moved to Ecatel due to not receiving any DMCAs.

@el_j: Hmm I could probably automate that :P

nice picture el_jentel1, but I dont think it will work. I'm not familiar with MU but I dont think they have a way to change the MD5. That means you cant store the file because the md5 string is blocked and it will be automaticly deleted.
I made a test with Rapidshare, uploaded a file that had been deleted. I tried with a renamed file, a renamed rared file, a renamed rared in a split archive file but they all were automaticly deleted. Then I changed the md5 of the original deleted file uploaded it and there was no problem.
I read about this before and they check the md5 id of the file and only save one copy of the file. Don't know if it's true but it makes sense.

Any suggestions for screet mirror like el_jentel1 system?
I dont want to use MU, maybe some one know good down/up sped FileHost with unlimited trafik for Prem users?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back