Cost and Steps of starting an own FileHosting Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathBasher

Hello Everybody out there,

Background story:
A few days ago meeting my friends i just came up with the idea of an own FileHosting Service.
We all (5 guys) are into programming websites and everything. Not really good but well :D

I just put down some ideas of the whole structure:

1 Server in offshore for the domain and front panel the user is looking at
3/4 Servers (beginning) for the files with good connection to europa and the USA
1/2 Domains for the Website (offshore) so it's not so easy to get the domains down

To get users i would say a referral-system would be nice!
Like all big och's (ul, so, ...) there would be a premium account option. But free users also have a "high" download speed (like 10 mbit/s) and unlimited downloads.
So a kind of the old conditions from Rapidsahre!
Also i would recommend an easy "moderation"-tool, where abused files are displayed and can deleted by one click!

I just read and old Thread about this topic.
All in all with a complete script and with the servers the costs would be like 25000 for the first 4 months. But this was from 2012. I was wondering if the prices would be the same.

Is the idea itself good, what things i have to look at and care about?
What would be the costs (script, server, domain, ...)?

Greetings!

21 comments
You're looking at a fixed 200-300EUR month just for the servers if you're planning on getting decent servers with quick download speed (for premium members for example). The script can vary, but it will be a one-time cost and your programmers can adjust it to your filehosting brand. Domain is between 10-15 dollars, but Godaddy has a coupon action of 0.99 cents for .com domains. It's a serious step.

A fixed cost for 300 EUR per month for the servers seems a little bit cheap
I expected more!

So lets calculate for 12 months 400€ per month:

400€*12=4800€ (Server costs)
4800€+1200€=6000€ (additional Servers if needed)
6000€+2000€=8000€ (Script?)
8000€+50€=8050€ (Domain, domain alternatives)
8050€+500€=8550€ (Ads on Websites and Forums)

Where can i find programmer for my project?

greez

Last edited:
There are plenty of programmers on websites such as Freelancer, oDesk and the like. They'll do what you need as long as you clearly state what you need. From experience, freelancing programmers will only do what is asked of them. They won't go the extra length even if they know how.

I would say yes, roughly. Although you can probably get a much cheaper site/script than 2k. Perhaps search for free/affordable filehosting scripts that are already have an integrated premium option for clients with payment possibility. I wouldn't advise starting from scratch. With the script that is.

Only FileHosting - no Streaming Site.
So no video streaming, no music streaming, no document viewing or anything else. Just up- and downloading files!

This will be another project when this here will go well :)

I would say your specs are the following:

Decent processor (e3 or E5 intel)
8GB RAM or 2x8GB RAM
2x2 Terabyte disks (in RAID)

Why don't you try scaling? Start with one server and as you get more upload and downloads, just get more servers. Why start big from the beginning?

YetiShare was released in 2012, xfilesharing was released in 2008 so has had a whole 4 years of extra sales compared to YetiShare. Despite this, I can guarantee that the volume of people that use YetiShare compared to xfilesharing is huge. If you have any questions regarding YetiShare feel free to contact us on WJ, via our contact form, or via the live chat widget on all of our sites.

Kind regards :)

Despite this, I can guarantee that the volume of people that use YetiShare compared to xfilesharing is huge.

Please provide proof. Show comparable amount of real, live websites, not abandoned installations (mostly running on nulled script).
You can clone our scripts, mods, monetization model, etc. but you can't clone our experience.

p.s. XFilesharing history started in 2006, when first version was released. This first version is now known as XFilesharing Free (XFileSharing Free - file sharing script).

Interesting to read ,Please update this thread ,

I have a project the same ,but I will provide videos streaming and downloading.

and I'am now studying the project (requirements,monetizing and promotions)
Here is my thread in WJ: wjunction.com/16-webmaster-discussion/204971-investing-videos-host-website-how-much-you-expect.html

Regards

I would say your specs are the following:

Decent processor (e3 or E5 intel)
8GB RAM or 2x8GB RAM
2x2 Terabyte disks (in RAID)

Why don't you try scaling? Start with one server and as you get more upload and downloads, just get more servers. Why start big from the beginning?

Thank you for the information .Please can you tell me what do you recommend for the same project ,but it's only for videos streaming.like streamin(dot)to.

Best regards

Last edited:
you dont really need a power horse for what you need, you just need decent server configs with big hdd's and alot of nodes. everything else is just a waste of resource or money, rams and ghz on the cpu dont help you much/at all when downloading content

Hi,

I would recommend you also take into consideration the cost of employing a full time programmer to maintain and run your site. A file hosting platform can be quite a complex task and there are many things to take into consideration that you probably did not think of or overlooked in the initial development of the script so a full time programmer in my opinion is a must have.

Hope this helps.
Best of luck with your site.

There are plenty of programmers on websites such as Freelancer, oDesk and the like. They'll do what you need as long as you clearly state what you need. From experience, freelancing programmers will only do what is asked of them. They won't go the extra length even if they know how.

Isn't it oDesk that changed their name to Upwork recently btw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back