• SMARTDC

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

avRo

Which is better DC between SmartDC and EvoSwitch
Personally I used EvoSwitch (leaseweb) so far, never had any speed /connectivity issue. What about SmartDC . Cureently some providers are offering SmartDC servers

Share your opinion and experience!

Last edited:
23 comments
I am using both Leaseweb and SmartDC for servers. both of them go good for me and I am using them since 1 year almost.

Leaseweb has the best peering and is the biggest DC i guess. both DC 1 gbps port are almost equivalent but I still prefer Leaseweb (personal choice :p)

Cheap servers with 100 TB BW - LeaseWeb
Servers with low bandwidth - SmartDC

SmartDC has a slightly better server quality when compared to LW but if you want high bandwidth then LW for sure.

I am using both from 3 years.
Evoswitch: Personally I want to say that Evoswitch is my 1st choice. Since, Price is lower nowadays, (but not than SmartDC). Bandwidth is 100TB always. But I am using 200TB right now. And that is cheap also. Their servers are old but some of them are new. Speed is always 1gbps guaranteed and 100% uptime. But they usually don't provide 2gbps. I am using 1gbps and perfect speed. Support is very fast. Almost within 6-8 hours my problems get fixed always.

SmartDC: I am using this from last 1.5 years. And this is my second choice. Servers are new almost all. About bandwidth I am using 100TB and you can get 200TB by paying almost 40-50$ more. Price is cheap than Evoswitch. Very lower. But speed and uptime is not good. I have 2gbps and speed sometimes goes up only. Even server to server transfer is not giving 2 gbps. Uptime is 95-98% according to pingdom of last 5 months. Because many times my server goes down for unknown issues. If you don't get Evoswitch then you can buy this at cheap price. Support is a bit slow. Sometimes takes 2-3 days to solve a small issue.

But my personal choice is Evoswitch. This is the best DC I have ever seen.

i am glad i came across this post as i read some valuable information, im looking for a 10gbps host and i wonder if either of those two would be a good choice.

I will definetely keep in mind what you have mentioned.

Thanks for info!

i am glad i came across this post as i read some valuable information, im looking for a 10gbps host and i wonder if either of those two would be a good choice.

I will definetely keep in mind what you have mentioned.

Thanks for info!

Go for EvoSwitch then.

Been a Customer of Leasweb(EvoSwitch) for about 6 Years now and Used SmartDC for couple of Years.
Here is my honest review.

1: EvoSwitch (Leaseweb)
EvoSwitch is a massive datacenter and they have about 5000 Gbps ( 5 Tbps) Connectivity which is huge. Excellent connectivity to Europe and USA. Two types of bandwidth i.e Volume (100TB) and Premium.
Bandwidth is low priced than SmartDC because of the large amount of bandwidth they have.
Hardware is really good. All HP and Dell Branded Hardwares.
Their lower level servers have HP DL 120 which support 4 drives where as most of the SmartDC servers are Dell 210 which support max of 2 Drives.
Price with Leaseweb is really low as compared to Smart DC.

2: Smart DC
They have a good peering outside Europe. Specially to countries like Australia and New Zealand in APAC. SmartDC peering is better than Leaseweb in Asian countries.
Bandwidth is bit expensive than Leaseweb since they do not have high stock bandwidth like them.
Connectivity is also great however it really depends from where you are buying the servers of SmartDC.

We have SmartDC resellers around the forum who have private racks and over sell the bandwidth like crazy. Be it 1 Gbps 2 Gbps or 10 Gbps.
Lets face it, You cannot get 200 TB Bandwidth with 10 Gbps connection for 100 Euros unless you are overselling. And thats the reason you are not able to reach high speeds with such servers. Simple because its an oversell business model. Whats the use of having 2 Gbps port when you are not even able to max out 1 Gbps most of the times.
If you get servers directly from SmartDC you would pay a bit high price but you would definitely get the quality of speeds you desire.
Smart DC has a One big positive. If you can have servers on Rent To Own Model from them which makes it really really cheap if you signup a 5 Years contract.

In my personal opinion,

1: If you need quality bandwidth and are on a decent budget then Leaseweb is the best solution for you. They have low prices but at the same time deliver the quality without any compromise. ( Moderate Price, Great Quality )

2: If you are looking for good peering outside Europe/US and are willing to spend then go directly buy from SmartDC. They have great packages. ( High Price, Good Peering)

3: If you really low budget and do not care about oversold bandwidth and poor customer service, then probably go ahead with one of popular SmartDC resellers around Wjunction. ( Very Cheap Price, Bad Quality)

Feel free to shoot in your doubts if any.

Cheers ;)

Last edited:
And Glenn you forgot Leaseweb also oversell bandwidth ?
isnt ?

If not use 100TB in all your servers then see leaseweb will kick you out :) or they wont because they have many client who get 100TB server
but actually they use like 5TB Bandwidth

--------------------------

In my opinion leaseweb is a leader in overselling network
doesn't matter they have 5Tbps but they oversell network like hell.

Let me show you example

They have 5Tbps right ?

So it means 5000 Gbps right ?

So anyone tell me leaseweb have only 5000 Servers ? dont forget they have 10Gbps servers too.
They have 5000 Gbps network capacity but they are selling like 5000 servers x 5 or even 10 or maybe 15-20 :D

So its like 10 times more than their network capacity

If all all 5000 server will use 1Gbps network at once, their network will overflow

So lets not talk about overselling since everyone do that but still they have same 1Gbps up/down network for all client since no one use 100% network everytime

+

Main issue with leaseweb is overuses, they charge you high price of you cross 100TB you know why ?
- they want to cover loss, which you gave them by using 100TB bandwidth :D

Anyway we wont talk about that much since we also like leaseweb personally

Regards
Host DZire

They cancelled my server few days ago without even sending me an email
Nor suspension or over due
While I was on vacation for the weekend

Although I have 3 serves with them.
But they did it to me anyway
I lost more than 3TB of data on that server

And why they did that ?
I mean why we did that ?

Because invoice was overdue so we have to resell it or suspend it right ?
No one will let you use server for free.

+
if you were on vacation you should send us a email that you will pay late
you didnt done that, then how anyone can know about it ?

So They will follow their standard rule right ?

Please don't blame us for that. since you already know its your side fault

Regards
Host DZire

Last edited:
Evoswitch have 10gbps port speed servers ?

I didn't saw any reputed seller on Wj offering 10gbps on Leaseweb

Go for EvoSwitch then.

Because they have really high price for that even with bad hardware.
Like approx 700 Euro starting price

With good hardware spec you have to pay like 1000 Euro +
For 250TB bandwidth with 10Gbps

But in smartdc as we own racks, hardware etc, we can even sell with 50TB bandwidth + 10Gbps
or maybe 250TB still price will be low than leaseweb

For example check this :- https://hostdzire.com/10gbps-ultra-fast-rdp.html

We are using 10Gbps server in smartdc

Now check that hardware spec, and try to get price from leaseweb
it will cost you more than 1500 euro i think :)

Regards
Host DZire

And Glenn you forgot Leaseweb also oversell bandwidth ?
isnt ?

If not use 100TB in all your servers then see leaseweb will kick you out :) or they wont because they have many client who get 100TB server
but actually they use like 5TB Bandwidth

--------------------------

In my opinion leaseweb is a leader in overselling network
doesn't matter they have 5Tbps but they oversell network like hell.

Let me show you example

They have 5Tbps right ?

So it means 5000 Gbps right ?

So anyone tell me leaseweb have only 5000 Servers ? dont forget they have 10Gbps servers too.
They have 5000 Gbps network capacity but they are selling like 5000 servers x 5 or even 10 or maybe 15-20 :D

So its like 10 times more than their network capacity

If all all 5000 server will use 1Gbps network at once, their network will overflow

So lets not talk about overselling since everyone do that but still they have same 1Gbps up/down network for all client since no one use 100% network everytime

+

Main issue with leaseweb is overuses, they charge you high price of you cross 100TB you know why ?
- they want to cover loss, which you gave them by using 100TB bandwidth :D

Anyway we wont talk about that much since we also like leaseweb personally

Regards
Host DZire

Leaseweb does not massively oversell bandwidth which affects your performance. And Yes i know they have thousands of servers with just 5 Tbps connectivity but out of them how many are 100TB Servers ?
They have evenly distributed their servers and the bandwidth. Not all servers have 1 Gbps connectivity. Many of them are on 100 Mbits also. 100TB is just one segment of their business.
Look around the forum and find me a client who is complaining about Leaseweb's 100TB servers and its speed.

SmartDC is good but only when brought directly from their providers and not via resellers. SmartDC as the company does not massively oversell.

Here we have a problem with "SmartDC Resellers".
Because SmartDC resellers take say max 10 Gbps connectivity per Rack of 40 servers and all of them are 100TB or high bandwidth server users and many of them are on 10 Gbps connectivity. And this is the scenario where the end user is affected.
One rack/40 Heavy Bandwidth users and only 10 Gbps connectivity. With this kind of setup you wont even get 500 Mbps constant.

Evoswitch have 10gbps port speed servers ?

I didn't saw any reputed seller on Wj offering 10gbps on Leaseweb

Go for EvoSwitch then.

Thats because Leaseweb's 10 Gbps servers are bit expensive at the moment. The Wjunction market has massively shifted towards "Low Price" market.
One company called ShockSRV tried to sell 10 Gbps servers with really good price like 200-300 Euros but they did not receive massive response because we do not have clients who can pay that price. We have users around who want to pay as cheap as possible

I remember the times when I used to pay 180 Euros for a x3440 100TB Bandwidth @ Leaseweb. That was like 5 Years also.
Today I had a client who was asking me for same server with a buying price of 50$! Yeah you heard it right 50$.

So thats the present market scenario!

Last edited:
Hello,

Exactly :-

but out of them how many are 100TB Servers ?
They have evenly distributed their servers and the bandwidth. Not all servers have 1 Gbps connectivity. Many of them are on 100 Mbits also. 100TB is just one

I just counted 100TB. and its already showing that they also oversell

But when you count, 1Gbps Unmetered, 10Gbps unmetered, 250TB 10Gbps, 10TB 1Gbps
All from same network :)

My point is leaseweb really oversell their network
i mean too much than you think :)

Rest other have lets say smartdc seller who have own network

They have like 10 to 20Gbps or maybe more
but they also have low no of servers.

So its same thing, if you compare with leaseweb

Leaseweb have like 20000 + servers but also they have 5Tbps network

And other smartdc seller who have like 200 or 300 servers and have like 20Gbps or 50Gbps network maybe

So both are same.

Plus point is in smartdc you get low price on overuses bandwidth, good price in ssd disk , option of 10Gbps, 2Gbps with good price

So still smartdc have more options than leaseweb

Regards
Host DZire

^ Well there is a reason people prefer Leaseweb over SmartDC.

Ok! Even if I agree with you saying Leaseweb massively oversells its network, what difference does it make to the end users ? We are still able to max out our 1 Gbps ports. We are not affected by it.

About SmartDC Resellers,
Ok lets consider what you are claiming,
20 Gbps Connection and low number of servers ? But how low ?
1 Rack with 40 Servers should have 40 Gbps Network to get dedicated speeds which they do not.
Even 20 Gbps for 40 servers should be just fine but even that wont work because 20 Gbps costing is too high for the prices their resellers offer.
And most important datacenters like Leaseweb have 5 Tbps network capacity to oversell where as their resellers have to play with 10-20 Gbps which end up in a bottleneck.

Guys,
You must be curious that how come SmartDC resellers are able to provide such rock bottom and low priced servers.
I had made some calculations myself and I would love to share it with you guys.

Before making the calculations, lets make some assumption on the infra.
1: A full Rack with 40 Servers.
2: Dell R210 E3 1230 Servers

The Price Break Down (The prices are based on 5 Year Contract since SmartDC provides maximum discount for it.)
1: Full Rack 30 Amp - 530 Euros Per Month
2: 5 Gbit Bandwidth ( 810 TB Approx per month) - 3250 Euros Per Month
3: Switches & Ports : 300 Euros Per Month

Hardware:
Dell R210
E3 1230/ 32 GB Ram / 2x2 TB HDD/ 1 Gbit NIC
Price: 22.4 Euros Per Month Per Server.
i.e 896 Euros Per Month for 40 Servers.

So now the total cost of One Full Rack with 40 Servers and E3 1230 config mentioned above with 5 Gbit bandwidth is ( 530 + 3250 + 300 + 896) = 4976 Euros Per Month

So the straight cost out of pocket for any SmartDC reseller with this config is 4976 Euros per month i.e 125 Euros Per Month Per Server And you buy this server for 60-70 Euros on Wjunction ? Really ? How is that possible ?

The answer is may be cut down the cost. But what costs can you cut down here ? Rack/hardware/Switches difficult to cut down. But hey you can cut down the bandwidth cost by over selling the network.
So instead of 5 Gbps may be 2.5 Gbps for 40 servers ? Hmmm.... And remember this cost is for clients who signup for 5 Years contract. 12-24 Months contract will turn out to be even more expensive.

Another Scenario for argument purpose:
Lets say the SmartDC reseller is a massive reseller with hundreds of servers. With this scenario the price per server will drop to 100 Euros or may be 95 Euros but to offer servers for 50-60 Euros you have to massively massively over sell.
Because the whole business model is developed around 100TB and high bandwidth servers business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back