Best configuration for my server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stiffy

Hi.

So first of, this is one server i have:
CPU: Intel Quad-Core Xeon E3 1230 (3.20 GHz)
RAM: 8GB
HDD: 4 x 1,5TB
Network: 1Gbps Full-Duplex
Debian 6

and i have 3 users on it, each with their own hard drive.

The thing i would see if someone could help me with is if there is a way to config it better, mostly the hard drives i think.
There is not really any big issues except high IO usage when they are downloading and uploading at higher speeds so network speeds isnt so good as it could be.

So like how would you config the server to perform at its best (when its used like filehosting/seedboxes)?

Some things i've done now is:
Changed IO scheduler from cfg to deadline.
Disabled swap.
Removed/Disabled journal for better filesystem perfomance (using ext4).
Added noatime,data=writeback,barrier=0 to the hard drives in fstab.

And at last, changed some settings in /etc/sysctl.conf so it looks like this:
vm.swappiness = 0
vm.dirty_background_ratio = 3
vm.dirty_background_bytes = 0
vm.dirty_ratio = 15
vm.dirty_bytes = 0

And here i have tried some different settings, like setting dirty_ratio to a higher value ect ect...
And with higher value network speeds just goes up and down. And the reason it goes down like you probably know is when it has to write much data to the hard drives.
So these settings (dirty_background_ratio and dirty_ratio) are low because of a low latency. Network speeds are stable but low. I've seen for example seedbox providers manage to config a server like i have to work better and also with more users.
And a last note, maybe some say to get more RAM but now with these low settings in sysctl there isnt much RAM in use. There is always 6GB free so...

So, anyone here who could help me up a bit to get the server running better under high load/getting better hard drive speeds/lower IO usage ect ect ?
How does seedbox providers do?

Thanks

Last edited:
3 comments
if you want get very high I/O, don't use RAID.

changing your schedulers wont save you I/O while on RAID.

Thanks but i doesnt use RAID, otherwise i would mention it.
Each user have their own hard drive for a better performance but i cant figure out for example seedbox providers configure their shared servers.
When a user downloads and uploads at the same time, it doesnt get higher than 30MB/s due to high IO usage...
This is usually never an issue at seedbox providers..

Thanks

Last edited:
I work in the streaming host industry... so i work only with HDDs.

Are you sure that they don't use SSD ? ... It is possible that they use many small SSD's as JBOD for higher I/O.

Edit: For torrents, you can try RAID1 on all disks, write is 1x speed, but read i/o is spreaded over many disks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back