700 MB Picture by Hubble Space Craft

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirateaccess

700 MB Picture by Hubble Space Craft

The sharpest image ever taken of the large "grand design" spiral galaxy M81 was released 9. June 2007 at the American Astronomical Society Meeting in Honolulu, Hawaii.
A spiral-shaped system of stars, dust, and gas clouds, the galaxy's arms wind all the way down into the nucleus. Though the galaxy is located 11.6 million light-years away, the Hubble Space Telescope's view is so sharp that it can resolve individual stars, along with open star clusters, globular star clusters, and even glowing regions of fluorescent gas. The Hubble data was taken with the Advanced Camera for Surveys in 2004 through 2006. This colour composite was assembled from images taken in blue, visible, and infrared light.

Fullsize original :
http://www.spacetelescope.org/images/original/heic0710a.tif

25 comments
Dude
Take care while opening it.
You cant open the images taken by the HIGH end devices.
There are also like 1.5gb Image,etc
But only super computers can open them.
It cant open in our pc.

I'm gonna rape my lil' PC by converting this to PNG and making it my wallpaper >_>. Thanks for sharing, I love everything space related.

Ok I came to the conclusion that having that pic as wallpaper ain't a good idea (well, surprise surprise ^^). If you wanna know what its like: imagine running Vista + Aero on a 6 mhz 80286 processor. That's the performance I had after setting it as background XD.

Did you resize it :o? When I set it as background it froze my PC. After rebooting it took like 5 minutes to go from the welcome screen to showing the desktop and after that everything was stuttering (mouse lag) and my HDD sounded as if it was ready to take of to the moon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back