What are some safe domain TLD extensions that USA does not control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orca

Hello all,

Having realized that some of my sites are all based on .com & .net for the sake of being easy to remember.

I've read & witnessed a lot of domain names being taken over by the USA if the extension ends in .com/.net So i'm planning to make a new site similar to VEVO.com (music) but differently obviously.

I noticed domain registrars are now accepting different TLDs other than .com/.net

So ultimatley, what domain extenstions are safe to use (without the fear of USA being able to control or take over) ?

47 comments
You won't get in troubles for using .net/.org or even .com unless your site is very big & popular. That's my own opinion.

Good luck with finding one, though.

You won't get in troubles for using .net/.org or even .com unless your site is very big & popular. That's my own opinion.

Good luck with finding one, though.
Just about HOW MUCH popular are we speaking here ? . It's easy for a little site to also get in trouble, that has actually happend already.

On our dns service, no domains are subject to seizure.

Also, in the past, we have given people their own tld's, such as newz.bin etc.

Although, unless your site is popular (shall we say with an alexa rank of 20,000 or less), it is unlikely your domain will be seized.

Damn i totally forgot about this thread (blame my long working hours haha).

Anyways, thanks to the posters above for the extra .tld suggestions. I was wondering what are some good "NON-USA" registrars to use ?.

I don't trust NameCheap anymore lol.

.cd, .me, .hk, .ru, .eu, .su, .ws

Those are the extensions that would eb good.

I'd go with namecheap, only thing is they ban your domain for spam complaints. Other than that there good to use.

name.com and dynadot.com

RU used to be safe but now Russia is cracking down on piracy so few pirate sites switched to .me domain names
so far they are holding up

Sorry to revive an old thread (even though i started it lol).

I already have a .me domain since 2013, but so far so good!

It's 2015 now, do you think ".se , .eu , .me" are still safe domain extensions to use ? - I am going to make another site, that's why i ask.

I was also thinking about ".to , .so , .ch" = are they good ?

in general it always is:
if they want to seize your domain, they will - independed of the registrar.

imho there isn't any safe domain, just some that aren't directly controlled by the US.

using .to .so .ch doesn't really matter. If the copyright-holders reach out for your registrar he normally will do s.th. against this.
if he doesn't react and you are big enough they will go the authorative Services - and if everything will fail, they will contact iana to blacklist your domain from the root-dns-servers

but in general it's cheaper and faster to just shutdown your servers (since you don't have to do that man requests, till you are at a point where you can seize the domain or block the DNS-Servers)

so nearly any domain outside of US-Influence is okay.
(see e.g. .se for piratebay etc.)

as for .to
-> very few informations in public whois
-> no whois-protection (though not really needed)

as for .so
-> "normal" information in whois
-> need whois-protection (is available for .so)

as for .ch
-> few informations in public whois
-> no whois-protection
--> have to use expensive reseller

if you want to have a domain whithout any personal informations you have to use a special service (not like the normal registrars with whois-protection).
I don't know who exatcly are doing this, but i know at least from cinipac.
But i don't know if they now want to have real acc. informations, or not.

Last edited:
Very informative info @wedge1001 - thank you for that.:)

I don't care if the domain gets seized but, i can always have back ups to switch to (ie. kickass.to / kickass.so / kat.ph etc..)

I do need WHOiS privacy otherwise I will have to use an untraceable mailbox as an address lol.

Since you said .to & .ch are no good, who is a good offshore registrar for .so ? Preferably in english as that's my only language haha.

Even 2015, sites are still using .co , .me , .eu extensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back