U.S. Labels Canada a Piracy Haven & Threatens Spain on SOPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladybbird1

U.S. Labels Canada a Piracy Haven

Posted: 30 Apr 2012 02:15 PM PDTorrentfreak

The United States Trade Representative has once again labeled Canada as a piracy haven.

In its yearly report on countries that are not doing enough to protect the U.S. copyright industry, Canada is listed on the Priority Watch List with China, Russia, Ukraine and a handful of other countries.

The Special 301 Report reads:

Canada remains on the Priority Watch List in 2012, subject to review if Canada enacts long-awaited copyright legislation. The Government of Canada has given priority to that legislation. The United States welcomes that prioritization and looks forward to studying the legislation once it is finalized, and will consider, among other things, whether it fully implements the WIPO Internet Treaties, and whether it fully addresses the challenges of piracy over the Internet.

Other countries are more lucky.

Spain, for example, has been taken off the list after it implemented a harsher copyright law. Last December the US ambassador threatened to put Spain on a trade blacklist if the country failed to pass a SOPA-style site blocking law.

Weeks later the new law passed.

Critics of the yearly shame report note that the Trade Representative is not balanced, and that the report is a pressure tool to further the interests of a few big media companies.

Once again the U.S. Trade Representative has produced a fact-free report that ignored any point of view except that of big media companies, says Rashmi Rangnath, director of Public Knowledges Global Knowledge Initiative

We are distressed that countries which have yet to pass harsh legislation being pushed around the world remain on the watch lists, while countries which give in to U.S. pressure, such as Spain, are removed when they pass punitive legislation, he adds.

21 comments
I agree with your comments, and I think its disgraceful that some in the US continually belittle Canada, yet still want oil from them. Canada should close its doors......

It is also disgraceful the way the US bullies and treats other countries too.

Change is acoming..... watch what happens when the new World Reserve Currency is ready to be launched. It will be global and nothing to do with the US..... no more US printing more $$$ to pay their debts to other countries.

I agree, I have worked and travelled in many countries and for me Canada and Canadians are the best in the world. I am not from Canada.

Shame the US is so busy helping Hollywood money men by this sort of crap and not dealing with important stuff like this;

http://www.wjunction.com/14-news-cu...s-out-her-baby-sex-professor.html#post1513735

Why the heck dont they use all their resources to track pedos on line and the human traffickers that kidnap so many kids to use for forced sex that they film and sell on line?? instead of going after piracy.....

Really, what the United States should do is focus on police reform, but as long as piracy targets large industries with large budgets, it won't be ignored.

While I don't like a lot of the things being done in the US with regards to online piracy, it's a complete misnomer to think that this is at some kind of expense of saving children from being sold into sexual slavery.

Last edited:
48578902026266742484.jpg

When hong kong was return to china. China promised to leave hong kong as it is for 50 years. It has been less than 30 years since then. So hong kong is playing by the united kingdom rules.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back