Status
Not open for further replies.

BlockAid

To those of you that don't know, we run an alternative, public DNS service, designed to combat DNS blocking and domain seizure.

For the most part, we maintain and run our own servers. Although our backup DNS server (which happened to be rented) was recently taken out with the closure of RapidSpeeds. Ever since, we have been looking to add another DNS server to replace the one we lost and to service the needs of American/Canadian users. Currently, the geographic location of our main server does not really provide a decent service to those across the pond.

We have recently been trying out a datacenter based in Canada and we setup a temporary version of our service there as a trial. So far, it has proved to be quite promising. Obviously more testing is required, especially if we decide to put some of our own equipment there.

We are therefore looking for 2 or 3 people, who must be based in the US (so we can properly gage response times) to use this temporary server for a week and provide feedback. In particular, we would be asking you to run ping and traceroute tests, and then provide the results to us in text format. Nothing too difficult. We would also be looking for general feedback on the service and any improvements that could be made.

Those selected will also have the pleasure of trying out our new automatic-domain-seizure-detection feature (we are aware we need to come up with a better name). Essentially what this does is hijack the seized domain back off ICE and displays our own message instead.

I must stress that we are looking for American testers, not people who rent a server in the US. That would not be a fair test, considering most of our users connect from their home internet connection. I should also highlight that we do not perform any logging whatsoever and those who are chosen won't have to worry about their IP address getting out, or their internet habits being made available for all to see.

If anyone is interest, please reply in this thread.

Thanks

BlockAid

2 comments
what will you do if isp's block dns servers and hijack the connections back to there main dns...

Then this would be useless

This is going a bit offtopic, but its a valid question nonetheless, so I will answer it.

It is not in their interests to block IP addresses since we don't own them ourselves. So they would actually be blocking addresses that could potentially be used by another customer at our DC. Furthermore, we have plenty of other IP addresses to use and in the future will even service users needs via IPv6. We would like to see them stop us then!

I should also add that we have other mechanisms in place for notifying users, should anything like that happen. I doubt it will, since we are not doing anything illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back